Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Buying new power supply, anyone knows this Brand ?

So as the title states, im buying a new power suply.

found this one, and would like to know if anyone has experience with this brand.

http://www.chill-innovation.com/prod...=1&products=10

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally with power supplies, if you have to ask, you shouldn't buy it.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    i have no experience with power suplys myself, So according to your logic, i shouldnt buy Any psu's? flawed logic idd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant more of if you have to ask if anyone knows about the brand, not you personally.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Generally with power supplies, if you have to ask, you shouldn't buy it.
    lol pretty much.
    Looks for corsair/antec/seasonic.

Check these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371031
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371044

all good deals, especially if you do those stupid rebates :P
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-09-14 at 02:59 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, if the website says that it's "cabable of reaching a very high efficiency". I'd look elsewhere, especially since it's not actually certified as such.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    lol pretty much.
    Looks for corsair/antec/seasonic.

Check these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371031
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371044

all good deals, especially if you do those stupid rebates :P
    why did you edit out the "cant even run a single 580" part ? found out that it could or ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mbgz View Post
    why did you edit out the "cant even run a single 580" part ? found out that it could or ?
    Well it probably can, I just remembered that 580's have 2 pci-e power inputs... so it can draw power from 2 of the rails not just 1... as long as they put each of the pci-e connectors on different rails. Would most likely only run into problems if you try to do any sli/cf.
    Still a crappy power supply though :P
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-09-14 at 04:11 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Also, if the website says that it's "cabable of reaching a very high efficiency". I'd look elsewhere, especially since it's not actually certified as such.
    I must say this is a good catch, and yeah. I would never buy one from this company.

Seasonic, Corsair (rebranded seasonics) yes. Chill Innovation? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

I have never heard of the brand. But I can recommend Antec, Rosewill, CoolerMaster and Corsair.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Well it probably can, I just remembered that 580's have 2 pci-e power inputs... so it can draw power from 2 of the rails not just 1... as long as they put each of the pci-e connectors on different rails. Would most likely only run into problems if you try to do any sli/cf.
    Still a crappy power supply though :P
    Why is it crappy ? just because you havent heard of it ? i mean, just because you havent heard of it, it doesnt have to be crappy? could you please provide me with some reasons other than "its not seasonic, corsair"

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 06:40 PM ----------

well actually that could be a good thing ? it says 85%+ maybe the "capable" refers to actually Higher % then 85, but never below 85?. id personally rather have them say 85+ than 90 if that isn't always the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point I don't care if I get an infraction:

< snipped >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-09-14 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    i also think you took the "capable" abit out of context. here is the entire thing:

+85% efficiency, Capable of reaching Very high efficiency will not only lower the internal tempature, but also reduce the electrical bill, due to the much lower power consumption.

Deleted
    Why is it crappy ? just because you havent heard of it ? i mean, just because you havent heard of it, it doesnt have to be crappy? could you please provide me with some reasons other than "its not seasonic, corsair"

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 06:40 PM ----------

well actually that could be a good thing ? it says 85%+ maybe the "capable" refers to actually Higher % then 85, but never below 85?. id personally rather have them say 85+ than 90 if that isn't always the case.
    Well, you come here asking for help. Either take the advice or don't - but please don't be smug about it.

Usually less-known (or no-brand) PSUs are crap with a capital c. They come with poor quality components, are noisy, have a bad/flawed warranty, have poor efficiency at high watt usage (near max), poor capabilities on the 12V rail(s), etc. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair and so on are reliable and well used brands by high-end computer builders.

And why would they write 85% as the max efficiency if it's capable of higher? Come on. Look for a 80+ bronze, silver or gold certificate - always.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-09-14 at 04:47 PM.

Deleted
    At this point I don't care if I get an infraction:

< snipped >
    Its alright mate im not a pc builder, and my knowledge towards power supplies is obviously very litmited, but if that picture makes you feel cool and Wise on the internet.

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Well, you come here asking for help. Either take the advice or don't - but please don't be smug about it.

Usually less-known (or no-brand) PSUs are crap with a capital c. They come with poor quality components, are noisy, have a bad/flawed warranty, have poor efficiency at high watt usage (near max), poor capabilities on the 12V rail(s), etc. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair and soo on are reliable and well used brands by high-end computer builders.

And why would they write 85% as the max efficiency if it's capable of higher? Come on. Look for a 80+ bronze, silver or gold certificate - always.
    you said it yourself "usually". but try to read the specs and see if they are so bad compared to the others.
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-09-14 at 04:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its alright mate im not a pc builder, and my knowledge towards power supplies is obviously very litmited, but if that picture makes you feel cool and Wise on the internet.
    And we provided very valid advice and you're ignoring it. They misspelled 'capable' and the power supply isn't even certified for the efficiency they're claiming. No one can be more clear about it than that.

I have an antec quattro that is certified silver, i've used thermaltake and corsair in the past. all are very good PSU's. A PSU is one of those things u don't want to "skimp" on, bc if if fries, it usually takes some other components down with it. you're best bet is to get a reputable one, no matter what, there is always a gamble that it could be faulty, but i'd rather gamble on something that doesn't have the propensity to be crap, then on something that i've never heard of.

15+ Year Old Account
    Specs are just numbers; they mean nothing for real-world performance unless proven.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    im not ignoring your advice, im just a little stunned by the obivous monopoly on the Psu market.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post

Usually less-known (or no-brand) PSUs are crap with a capital c. They come with poor quality components, are noisy, have a bad/flawed warranty, have poor efficiency at high watt usage (near max), poor capabilities on the 12V rail(s), etc. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair and so on are reliable and well used brands by high-end computer builders.

Pretty much this.
    Also there's a large amount of research and development needed to be able to make high quality power supplies which is just too much for most of the no-name manufacturers.

im not ignoring your advice, im just a little stunned by the obivous monopoly on the Psu market.
    Not really a monpoly. There are a few high quality brands (antec/corsair/seasonic), a lot of medium quality brands (rosewill/coolermaster, and like half a dozen others)... and then there's the really crappy ones like... sparkle (lol love that name though).
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-09-14 at 04:54 PM.