Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

why are there so many guys desperate for female attention

so I did an experiment.

I created 2 dating profiles one female, one male on one of those free dating sites. I used what I thought was average looking male/female pictures and just some generic intro so as to make it an even contest.

I didn't message anyone, just was looking to see the amout of initial contacts.

anyway in just the first day the female profile had about 20 guys who sent messages wanting to meet etc.
    the male profile had 0 responses

even had guys that were like 20 years old that the listed age wanting to meet up, which i thought kind of disturbing.

anyway I don't get why there's so many dudes desperate for female attentionm you'd think there's a shortage of women or something. I think most women who go online dating sites just do it for an ego boost.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quite a few factors you haven't considered, and based a conclusion off one experiment that isn't done thoroughly.

Guys normally feel they are the ones that have to do the approaching.

Guys have a more narrow-minded view of "average-looking". Girls have a much broader sense of "average-looking" and are much more forgiving. Depending on who/what you are, your version of average looking for both genders may not fit with a lot of people.

There are a higher number of creepy guys on the internet, not doing it so much for "female attention" as just for kicks.

Tons of other websites out there. The one you used may not be popular/legit enough to draw the right kind of people.

Probably other factors I haven't thought about either. I'd not worry myself with such results from a experiment clearly thought out of boredom.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    well it's not like this a unique one time experiment since i've heard similar stories from females before who've tried online dating.

I would garauntee any female online profile gets way more hits than a males

I think guys also have lower standards, more than once I have encountered IRL what could only be described as a female verion of the jabba the hut only to find out they somehow are married with children.

Haha, I've done this before too. The thing is women are desperate too, they just don't have the low standards that men have. Take a picture of Zyzz and make a fake profile on Plentyoffish.com, I guarantee you you will get plenty of females complimenting and wanting to talk.

Most of the time though women want men to compliment them first and initiate conversation. It's just the way things are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavecryst View Post
    Guys have a more narrow-minded view of "average-looking". Girls have a much broader sense of "average-looking" and are much more forgiving. Depending on who/what you are, your version of average looking for both genders may not fit with a lot of people.
    Though I have not a thing to say that would contribute to the actual topic of the thread, this actually reminded me of something.

I forgot where I read it, but this social group actually conducted a whole bunch of surveys and found that it was statistically easier for an overweight woman to find a romantic partner than it was for an overweight man. Of course, weight and attractiveness do not necessarily go hand-in-hand (I have personally been attracted to far more slightly-overweight women in my lifetime than "average" or "skinny" girls. They have to have SOME meat on their bones or else it feels like I'm with a skeleton), but as a generality, most people tend to find overweight people less attractive than people who are not overweight. Thus, it would seem that women are the ones with a more narrow-minded view, on average. Of course, these surveys couldn't possibly be indicative of the entire population, but at least it's a decent starting point.

/random interjection.

Quote Originally Posted by shadey81 View Post
    anyway I don't get why there's so many dudes desperate for female attentionm you'd think there's a shortage of women or something. I think most women who go online dating sites just do it for an ego boost.
    Pretty much answered your own question there. I can almost guarantee you, on most sites (besides possibly the social sites, like facebook) there are MANY more guys than gals, and the women that are there, usually end up covering their gender, due to harassment from horny teenagers once they learn you're a girl.

I'm sure we all know how the story goes. Faces and names change as often as the time and place but we will forever think:

Boy meets girl.... not the other way around.
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Deleted
    Don't forget that an "average" girl can go to a random bar and get what she comes for.

Try doing the same as guy.. Yeah!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why they do it either. Most girls find men pawing at them and coming across as desperate/too eager a huge turn off, chicks want men, not puppy dogs. Of course, there are those girls with self-worth issues who'll happily gather a little collection of puppy dogs to string along to make them feel good about themselves.... sadly I see this a lot online and have seen it in real life too, but luckily they're in the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke1096 View Post
    Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Troll Druids turned into walking cannabis plants.

go to a dating site that requires A fee. better collection of people. plentyoffish.com is like people from the ghetto or not really serious abou relationships.

Seeing the "Post an image of you" thread here, just shows that it goes both ways. Women may be a bit more subtle, though.