Games into movies.... another Silent Hill?

So while this might more correctly go into the other forums, I was actually after the fans of the games thoughts on this.

I sat down recently and showed my wife the first one. I never played any of the Silent Hill series. I'd like to take a moment and explain that it wasn't for a lack of trying, I just really really couldn't stand the controls of a lot of games back then. I could never get into Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and the likes because of the whole fighting with the camera angle and cluncky character movements.

Now, I do appreciate the concept and respect the series and what it brought to the video game industry. But I remember a rumbling when the first one came out about how the "fans" were very ticked off by it, and I never really understood the problem. From what I read it was fairly "close" to the conceptual idea of the first game title. (far closer than any of the Resident Evil titles anyway,)

Well anyway, after watching the first one last week, I hopped on imdb to find out that they were already working on the sequel due out early next year, and I'm honestly wondering, considering that they are still following the heart of 3, if they fans were going to give it another shot or not? Or is this going to be another "franchise" which despite how well the film is done because it isn't a direct copy of the original work it will not be taken well?

The silent hill movie is good and it copies the themes and ideas presented throughout the series. It is loosely based on the characters which is better imo because it exists in it's own separate bubble and doesn't try to rewrite them.

The beauty of silent Hill isn't so much that is copies scary movies but rather that it almost is one, but...the fear always runs much deeper. Most scary movies are about some freakish monster or some heinous crime. Resident evil is about evil muscle monsters and big guns. Silent Hill is about deep rooted problems in our psyche, ones that cannot be undone I suppose.

So before i go too off-topic, the Silent Hill movie was a passable win by cinema standards, a headshot by game-to-movie standards, and a respectful homage by Video game standards. Unfortunately a sequel doesn't have too much to offer and would more than likely be a cash-in.

Deleted
    I actually Enjoyed the Silent Hill movie, It was one of the better games to movies and i'm looking forward to the next one, It will probably be old matey going off looking for Rose - So its keep to the game story line somewhat

And silent Hill always had a Twin Peaks Feel about out it to me.. **Spoiler** isn't it all about aliens not Zombies or the undead? aliens are controlling things ? but then again i might be wrong..
    Last edited by mmocae06178e2b; 2011-09-15 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post

So before i go too off-topic, the Silent Hill movie was a passable win by cinema standards, a headshot by game-to-movie standards, and a respectful homage by Video game standards. Unfortunately a sequel doesn't have too much to offer and would more than likely be a cash-in.
    So, and this is a genuine question, why wouldn't this have much to offer? And I know it seems dumb but I would only go to ask if the movie couldn't offer much then how did the game it was based off of? SH3 that is.

I love SH. I still think that the movie was the best video game to movie, ever (unless someone can remind me of a better one). As for the second one, I'm going to be there opening night (AMC in MoA, woot woot)!

As far as the games go, I got about 90% through the 4th one and about 10% through Homecoming. I've completely played through the first one on an emulator and own the 2nd and 3rd on the computer (also finished those). I'm still trying to get the Wii one, and Downpour really looks amazing!

I am slightly depressed that they are going straight to the third one, as the 2nd had some really creepy story elements with it (yes, I got the semi good ending). Although, if they ever make a 3rd movie based off of the 4th game, it will be BAD ASS!

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate movies based off of video games. Doesn't matter if they are good movies or not. I especially hate it when the movies are considered a part of the main story of the series. Its not just movies based off games that irk me its any non-game related media such as books or comics or radio dramas etc. I can deal with it if they are directly ripped from the game with nothing added but when they attempt to act as non-game sequels to the main series it just makes me rage very very hard.

Ironically I did however like the Super Mario Bros movie only based on the fact that I actually think it would be an interesting route to see the series go.(darker tone yet still retaining trade marks of the series)

Quote Originally Posted by Dandraffbal View Post
    I love SH. I still think that the movie was the best video game to movie, ever (unless someone can remind me of a better one). As for the second one, I'm going to be there opening night (AMC in MoA, woot woot)!

As far as the games go, I got about 90% through the 4th one and about 10% through Homecoming. I've completely played through the first one on an emulator and own the 2nd and 3rd on the computer (also finished those). I'm still trying to get the Wii one, and Downpour really looks amazing!

I am slightly depressed that they are going straight to the third one, as the 2nd had some really creepy story elements with it (yes, I got the semi good ending). Although, if they ever make a 3rd movie based off of the 4th game, it will be BAD ASS!
    Well the only suggestion I can come up with is Mortal Kombat (ONLY the first one obviously) All these years later that movie is still a "good" time. Yeah it's very 90's but it's not too 90's. The dialog is still fun, the fighting is still decent, and the cast was well done.

That aside, I thought, from my limited knowledge, they are moving on to 3 because they are following the characters from 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a huge fan of Silent Hill game series, and I really don't get why people disliked the movie. It is way better than the game in my opinion.

I would like the new movie to be with actors too, I heard it will be a CG movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Silent Hill game series, and I really don't get why people disliked the movie. It is way better than the game in my opinion.

I would like the new movie to be with actors too, I heard it will be a CG movie...
    I'm with you, I actually quite enjoyed the first SH movie, although they did a few things wrong and some of the acting was questionable at times (mostly the little girl).

I always thought that the story from SH 2 could be a pretty damn good movie, but maybe that is just a bit of personal bias as it was my favorite one.

I think it was very well done and i'll definitely watch watch the second movie. I still play Silent Hill 2 once in a while, I actually showed it to my nephews the other day, they loved it.

Resident evil retribution....WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I'm glad they are making a second SH film. The first one was actually quite good and it went well with general audiences all while giving nods to the gaming community. But gamers, being who they are, complained that it was not faithful. Pfft...

Has anyone watched the Tekken movie? Saw it a few weeks ago. Let me just say that it is mindless fun. Don't expect anything but that.
    I'm still thinking about it...

Make all the games based movies that you want... But please stop RE movies... They are just .... Awful. Seeing Chris Redfield has a secondary character was painful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always thought that the story from SH 2 could be a pretty damn good movie, but maybe that is just a bit of personal bias as it was my favorite one.
    Agree 100%. Silent Hill 2 has the deepest plot of the series, it deserves to be a movie.

The silent hill movie was one I enjoyed an ex of mine loved the movie and thought it was the eeriest movie ever, and I might have to agree, I never went through a game my self because I my self could not stand the style of how some games were back in the day, or maybe I was just to scared, a little of both I think :P. Anyway I know how the game goes through the story loosely but also found the movie to be very good, I had always hopped they would make another. Because as you said I think, and I think it did far far better then the resident evil movies, I could barely stand those, I think I would have to be numb and medicated to really enjoy them.