10+ Year Old Account

To build a pc - another help me thread

Hey guys,

I need a little help. Last night i built a PC for my little brother.
    This is the hardware I used:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x 4 955 (4x3200Mhz, 4 x 512kb, 6144kb, Deneb)
    Motherboard: ASrock 770 Extreme 3
    Graphics card: ATI Radeaon HD 5570 Silent (1024MB, 128 bit, PCIe x 16 v2.0, PCIe x16 v2.1)
    Memory: G.Skill 4 GB DDR3-1333 (2 x 2048mb)
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate

Now, i have a very similar system, except for the graphics card, I have the much older Asus ENGTS 250. (1024mb)
    On my system playing WOW on ultra settings and even with fraps running (which usually drags the fps down) I have no issues at all. In raids the fps is a constant 60. In Stormwind it's between 45 and 60.
    When my brother runs Wow it's at a rate of 18 fps and it doesn't really run smoothly. I installed the newest drivers for the graphics card.
    I should maybe mention we didn't reinstall wow but instead connected the old pc's hard drive and just copied pasted the Wow folder from the old HDD to the new one.
    Some help would be greatly appreciated.
    Raissmo - Feral Druid - Turalyon EU

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raissmo View Post
    Hey guys,

I need a little help. Last night i built a PC for my little brother.
    This is the hardware I used:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x 4 955 (4x3200Mhz, 4 x 512kb, 6144kb, Deneb)
    Motherboard: ASrock 770 Extreme 3
    Graphics card: ATI Radeaon HD 5570 Silent (1024MB, 128 bit, PCIe x 16 v2.0, PCIe x16 v2.1)
    Memory: G.Skill 4 GB DDR3-1333 (2 x 2048mb)
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate

Now, i have a very similar system, except for the graphics card, I have the much older Asus ENGTS 250. (1024mb)
    On my system playing WOW on ultra settings and even with fraps running (which usually drags the fps down) I have no issues at all. In raids the fps is a constant 60. In Stormwind it's between 45 and 60.
    When my brother runs Wow it's at a rate of 18 fps and it doesn't really run smoothly. I installed the newest drivers for the graphics card.
    I should maybe mention we didn't reinstall wow but instead connected the old pc's hard drive and just copied pasted the Wow folder from the old HDD to the new one.
    Some help would be greatly appreciated.
    the 5770 is not really a good card at all, it's not designed for gaming. It's going to struggle. Sorry

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    the 5770 is not really a good card at all, it's not designed for gaming. It's going to struggle. Sorry
    You mean the HD5570. It does have gaming capabilities but we're not talking medium to high settings. Most if not everything will be on fair to good. You should definitely turn AA and shadows down.

Also since you just copy/pasted the WoW folder you need to delete the WTF/Cache/Interface folders.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    You mean the HD5570. It does have gaming capabilities but we're not talking medium to high settings. Most if not everything will be on fair to good. You should definitely turn AA and shadows down.

Also since you just copy/pasted the WoW folder you need to delete the WTF/Cache/Interface folders.
    yup, just typed it wrong XD

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I figured as much. I recently put together a budget build for a buddies 10 year old son. All we used was an AMD Athlon X2 255, 4GB DDR3, Asus AM3 board, an HD5570, and a 380W Antec PSU. On mostly fair and some good settings with shadows/AA turned right down it was sitting right around 60FPS consistently. The trick is always in the settings and making sure you delete those three folders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, thanks boys, that’s what i pretty much feared. I don’t know why I chose that one. I have no idea what to look for when shopping for a graphics card. Can you guys tell me what a good card is, with a fair price that is, or what specs are important? Thanks for the help by the way guys, appreciate it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    This Sapphire Radeon HD6670 is more than enough for WoW to play on high settings. If you want to play on Ultra, baring in mind you're limited by the CPU, the Sapphire Radeon HD6770 would do the trick.

Deleted
    You also installed mobo drivers ?

15+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend something just like the card in my sig. Not too expensive and pretty much smokes WoW into the ground. I just turn down AA and shadows so I don't experience dips much below 50 FPS.

GTX 460 by EVGA - $159.99

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, i switched graphic cards with my pc and you guys are right, the card sucked Buying a new one. Thanks boys and girls.