Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamota View Post
    any scientist, or educated person, for that matter knows that the human contribution to CO2 gas in the atmosphere is negligent.
    The only positive I see from global warming is that they started researching green energy early. Humans only produce 1% (maybe bit more now, was 1% few years ago) of total Co2. But ofcourse, we fuck up shitloads of nature so I think we are destroying our planet either way...but I'm happy with how we are dealing it for now.

A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, many positives have and will come from research because of the global warming insanity. That was never the debate...

http://climate.nasa.gov/keyIndicators/

fun interactive sliders.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by champ3000 View Post
    I love all of these fake scientists on here acting like they somehow know more than a man that won the Nobel Prize. Wow, I mean that is absolutely shocking. Did you guys ever stop to think that the man has an opinion that is worth listening to?
    Isn't that a little naive? Alexander Fleming had no idea that Penicillium Notatum was an anti-biotic.. He just wrote down what it was and how it effected the bacteria in his petri dish but somehow won a Nobel Prize. Geniuses ask why an apple falls from a tree not just observe it and I can half bet you have no idea why Ivar Giaever even got his Nobel Prize.

These scientists may know just as much as he does
    Last edited by mmoc8f80ecf50e; 2011-09-15 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typoooooooooo

He's a physicist. He has zero authority on anything to do with global warming, whether he is right or not. It's as relevant as thre Discovery Institute citing metrologists who rejects the theory of evolution. All in all a non-story, really.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 04:04 PM ----------

I love all of these fake scientists on here acting like they somehow know more than a man that won the Nobel Prize. Wow, I mean that is absolutely shocking. Did you guys ever stop to think that the man has an opinion that is worth listening to?
    A lot of people have opinions worth listening to. However winning a Nobel Prize in physics has no bearing on whether this opinion has any more value than "fake scientists" when it comes to the climate.

You know the thing is, while man-made global warming isn't something you can deny anymore (and it's not 'mild' either, that's pseudo science based on ideas like "it's still snowing in the winter, can't be that bad") there is indeed to much hysteria around the topic and the true science oftern goes under in all that hyperbolic nonsense.
    But yeah, that comic is true - I don't see the problem with creating a healthier planet for humans to live on.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Grail View Post
    Lol! He was a member of an "esteemed" scientific body. You don't think he's studied this at length and had numerous discussions with his peers? I doubt he'd take such a strong stand if he wasn't well informed.
    I don't. He's a physicists and so was his peers. They don't study the climate.

EDIT: Which is not to say he didn't took a valid stand. As a scientist, claiming anything to be incontrovertible seems ridiculous, and that seems to be his foremost objection. As Anything else though is just his personal belief.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2011-09-15 at 04:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I don't. He's a physicists and so was his peers. They don't study the climate.
    hahahahhaha, and by that logic you would have to have a degree in Honey to understand what effects the behaviour of a bee. Physics is the basis for the idea of how global warming works.

I'll edit this to clarify, so this isn't viewed as a troll.

Someone who studies the weather can see that (i'm pulling these figures out of my ass for an example) over the past 10 years the overall climate temperature has increased by 1 degree. But so what? There are lots of things that could explain this, sun cycles for one. A physist would look for evidence as to why it has done this taking all into consideration and explain the science and facts behind it - They dont need to be an expert in the climate to explain how the suns change in cycle would effect the global temperature of the earth.
    Last edited by mmoc8f80ecf50e; 2011-09-15 at 04:16 PM.

hes wrong about the part where religion can't be discussed. it's such a good topic to talk about next to politics but sadly noone likes to talk about it on here for some reason so they block it when ever they eeven hear the word religion it makes me sick.
    OT:

science is always subject to change therefore it's never true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    You mean the ones getting the bulk of their funding from Pro-global warming camps, I'm sure their views are not biased at all...

The fact is man-made global warming is at best a very tiny fraction of the changing climate that overall hasn't changed dramatically in over 100 years. Our accurate temperature readings only go back maybe 150 years, and they are far from complete records. People are doing the whole sky is falling routine without having a freaking clue about what is actually happening.
    you mean like the anti global warming camps who probably get alot of funding from companies that benefit global warming not happening....that goes both ways.

Global warming is outdated, global climate change is a more accurate theory as believe it or not if some places get hotter others get colder due to changes in sea and air currently that distribute the heat.

Also there isevidence to support both sides and it depends alot on interpretation on what is natural or not or whether / how extreme these natural cycles are or can be.

\im all for the Pro global warming purely because less pollution is a good thing! ok so maybe the temps are doing what they want but the acidity of waters leading to pH levels that nearly nothing can survive in or excess CO2 mixed with eutrophication leading to huge often toxic algal blooms or 'Red tides' etc is a good enough reason for me. Especially as they are proven to be influenced (big differenced between influenced and increased than causing il add) by high output anthropogenic (human caused) sources.

The fact that he tries to make out its fake like acid rain is what makes me question his opinion on the subject....as acid rain was not some make believe problem! as those who have studied/carried out similar research such as myself (read/wrote journals, field reports,not some tv or news show) will tell you acid rain was not fake neither were the forests destroyed by it or the water ways that to this day have not recovered to the point there are on going field based experiments to treat the acidic lakes and river systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa Saurus View Post
    hahahahhaha, and by that logic you would have to have a degree in Honey to understand what effects the behaviour of a bee. Physics is the basis for the idea of how global warming works.
    No, you'd need a degree in entomology. And you obviously don't understand what logic means because that's not by my logic; that's by your wild illogical imagination.

Physics may be the basis of the idea of the how in the most remote sense, but climatology is the actual study of how global warming works. And I'm pretty sure even you can tell how many degrees physics is separated from climate even in your own statement. By your logic, knowing the biology of your vocal cords makes you an expert on linguistics, because the vocal cord is the basis of how we speak. And that's actually one less chain than your ridiculous idea.

EDIT: didn't your edits until I posted the reply:
    Someone who studies the weather can see that (i'm pulling these figures out of my ass for an example) over the past 10 years the overall climate temperature has increased by 1 degree. But so what? There are lots of things that could explain this, sun cycles for one. A physist would look for evidence as to why it has done this taking all into consideration and explain the science and facts behind it - They dont need to be an expert in the climate to explain how the suns change in cycle would effect the global temperature of the earth.
    You clearly have absolutely no idea what physicists and climatologists actually do. Actual, real climatologists study why the climate change by looking for evidences and creating testable hypothesises to form explanations. Physicists don't do that, or if they do, they are also climatologists.

Of course they don't need to be an expert in climate to explain how the sun can affect temperatures - just like how you are not an expert in science and yet you tried to explain how physics and climatologists work in your imagination. Very very wrongly, I might add, which should tell you something about physicists on climates. They point is if they aren't an expert in the climate, then they aren't any authority on how the climate works. Which is not an endorsement of appeals to authority, by the way.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2011-09-15 at 04:33 PM.

I wonder what branch of science studies energy... How it moves about the universe....

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    I wonder what branch of science studies energy... How it moves about the universe....
    Either a troll, stupid or just illiterate. This has been answered several times in this thread.

Mod Warning: Watch the language. No personal attacks!
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-15 at 11:07 PM.

I might not at all be convinced by global warming arguments, but I am a big supporter of any go-green initiative. Why? Because its the reasonable thing to to. I prefer to pay more money for the products which I know are produced in an clean way. And not because I am worried about "us destroying earth", this whole argument is just ridiculous. Its just because I don't enjoy breathing smog and I am uncomfortable about the thought that the chicken I eat used to share a cage with 50 other chickens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pollution is obviously a real side-effect of what people do but the article is about climate change not pollution directly.

I think the less pollution the better obviously, that's just common sense.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelkyri View Post
    Either a troll, stupid or just illiterate. This has been answered several times in this thread.
    Clearly you don't recognize /sarcasm..

“Global warming has become a new religion."

That is the best part from this whole thing. It is true, people defend it to the core, because they know if they are wrong then it somehow changes their perception of themselves and their lives.

I love how if you don't drink the global warming kool-aid then you must be a gun-toting, religion-spouting, right wing nutjob. Why don't you can the stereotypes and discuss the science. We have no clue whether man made global warming is a real factor. We just don't know right now, and all this scientist is saying that we better spend more money trying to figure it out then to keep dumping $600 million dollars into fake solar panel companies.
    Don't forget that Al Gore is "really like a prophet".

What makes you think climatologists don't do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    The only positive I see from global warming is that they started researching green energy early. Humans only produce 1% (maybe bit more now, was 1% few years ago) of total Co2. But ofcourse, we fuck up shitloads of nature so I think we are destroying our planet either way...but I'm happy with how we are dealing it for now.
    It was 3% last I heard. I would like to know how they extrapolate that percentage though.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The man has a Nobel prize in physics; that does not make him qualified to make comments about global warming. His ignorance belittles his otherwise impressive achievements. Anyone with any kind of scientific education whatsoever is fully aware of the facts, and it will be the doom of our race that we continue to tell ourselves all is well.