Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Which then begs the question for you, are you not using some compiled ISO disc with utilities/SP1 integrated which covers that regardless of drive?

A RAID0 should not cause those tweaks, hell i have a RAID0 myself and it doesn't cause that, i have to apply it myself each and every time.
    Nope, my disc is pre-SP1. I think it did that because I had my SSD attached, that's the only reason I can think of.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    The three builds I have done with Windows 7 all did the SSD configs automatically. I had to do zero tweaking as far as the SSD was concerned. Not that what Evildeffy is saying isn't happening to them, it just didn't happen that way with my setups.
    Just remember if you migrate from a HDD to a SSD to make the changes manually.
    Here is a pretty good page that tells you what to do for your SSD
    http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to...fe-of-your-ssd
    Last edited by the1skate; 2011-09-15 at 05:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I installed Windows 7 freshly, with a CD a mate had.

Question, I noticed in my BIOS that my SATA settings is on "IDE" instead of "ACHI". I believe it used to be on ACHI on my HDD; and I didnt change anything in the BIOS at all. What gives? I'd rather not try to put it on ACHI and see what happens, don't want to damage anything.
    Hi

download hirens boot cd and burn the iso. boot to the cd and choose the cloning tools menu . there should be multiple options to choose from

10+ Year Old Account
    May I just add, wow. Going from 4gb DDR3 1066Mhz ram to 8gb DDR3 1333Mhz ram, and a 5400RPM Harddrive to an SSD, the improvement is mind blowing. Should've done this ages ago.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    May I just add, wow. Going from 4gb DDR3 1066Mhz ram to 8gb DDR3 1333Mhz ram, and a 5400RPM Harddrive to an SSD, the improvement is mind blowing. Should've done this ages ago.
    An SSD is just about the best single upgrade you can perform when it comes to actually feeling the difference immediately. They make even older single core machines feel better. It's amazing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by redmund View Post
    An SSD is just about the best single upgrade you can perform when it comes to actually feeling the difference immediately. They make even older single core machines feel better. It's amazing.
    I felt more of an immediate performance difference going from a 1090T to a 2500K than I did a PAT to an SSD. BUT I SEEM TO BE THE ONLY ONE. |:

I wouldn't recommend trying to clone windows. I did it when I got my SSD and it was a disaster. Things just don't work properly. Constant errors, Windows thinking it was missing parts of itself, no applications capable of starting. Terrible.

What version of Windows do you have? If you're using Windows 7, MS actually have ISOs available from their own servers that are 100% legal to use, provided you have a legit key.

What I WOULD recommend is first running Windows Easy Transfer on your current installation, making sure to save your entire c:/users folder. Then install Windows to your new SSD. When you've got it installed and you've let Windows Update do its thing. Then do your drivers. Then you can hit up www.ninite.com to get your most commonly used apps and have them all installed automagically. Then, when that's all finished, you can run Windows Easy Transfer again and restore your Windows and application settings and your other personal stuff from My Documents etc... from your old machine using the file you saved earlier.
    You did it wrong. Cloning Windows install from HDD to SSD is very easy if you got slightest clue.

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 05:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    You can not clone a HDD to an SSD, simply because the filesize, pagefile and other important things that have been placed on an HDD can not be cloned to another drive, whether it's HDD or SSD, unless it's the same disk, completly the same. If you do it, it can work, but your system will be (very) unstable.
    None of those things matter. As long as the size of the files to be cloned from the said HDD is smaller than the size of the SSD, it's completely possible. Any decent cloning software also copies page files and other important things. There's nothing unstable about the system as long as the cloning is done right with proper tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    You did it wrong. Cloning Windows install from HDD to SSD is very easy if you got slightest clue.
    Maybe I did, but I've cloned HDD to HDD before a number of times using Acronis. This time however, shit just did not work. Acronis insisted it had finished its job properly, but it failed spectacularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I felt more of an immediate performance difference going from a 1090T to a 2500K than I did a PAT to an SSD. BUT I SEEM TO BE THE ONLY ONE. |:
    That's not exactly a single upgrade there. That's a change of cpu and motherboard (and all the associated bits and pieces of the chipset).

15+ Year Old Account
    That's not exactly a single upgrade there. That's a change of cpu and motherboard (and all the associated bits and pieces of the chipset).
    Uhmm.. between an 890GX and Z68 board, there's no real performance benefit between the integrated features. All the performance benefit is directly related to the CPU upgrade (architecture, memory bandwidth...)

Last time I did this I used Acronis TrueImage, worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Uhmm.. between an 890GX and Z68 board, there's no real performance benefit between the integrated features. All the performance benefit is directly related to the CPU upgrade (architecture, memory bandwidth...)
    It's still not a single upgrade. My original post you replied to was talking about one single piece you can drop into your machine to make it feel faster. Replacing the motherboard and cpu is not the same thing.

Download windows off a torrent site and then install it. If you've got your lisence key, you wont need to use the loader.

...Easiest way?

Buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Download windows off a torrent site and then install it. If you've got your lisence key, you wont need to use the loader.
    That's unnecessary since you can get legit and guaranteed malware free ISOs directly from Microsoft. You only need a legit key after that.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's still not a single upgrade. My original post you replied to was talking about one single piece you can drop into your machine to make it feel faster. Replacing the motherboard and cpu is not the same thing.
    Well jeez, in that case, I felt a higher performance increase going from an HD 4850 to an HD 6870. :P

Or better yet going from 4gb DDR3-1333 to 8GB DDR3-1600. (I know this is only because of how I use my machine I would even see that.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Just as a small update like i promised i would on the SSD front with Windows 7 installs.

Intel D875PBZ Mobo (yes ancient i know, does have AHCI in the BIOS though) with a P4 3,2GHz and an Intel 320 300GB SSD.
    No auto-setting of enabled TRIM or any of the other settings, still required manual setting, and yes i know the person is nuts who wanted an SSD in it, he claims it's temporary and will transfer it over when he buys a new employee workstation, but a client is a client.
    Windows 7 Professional 32 Bits Dutch.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z with Core i7 2600K with 2 * Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120GB in RAID0.
    Again, no auto-setting of enabled TRIM or any of the other settings, still required manual setting.
    Windows 7 Professional 64 Bits English.

Asus P8H67-I Deluxe with Core i7 2600K with an Intel 320 300GB SSD.
    Again, no auto-setting of enabled TRIM or any of the other settings, still required manual setting.
    Windows 7 Professional 64 Bits Dutch.

There's 2 more builds upcoming in the next couple of days, but so far 3/3 do not auto-adjust Windows 7.
    So what are the theories now then?