Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"It's none of your business"

Phrase really bothers me for a lot of things. What do you define as your own business to the degree that you are able to talk about it/do something about it.

To me, my business is anything that concerns me or anything that I believe has a subtle effect on me or my life.

It annoys me when people do something in a way that they obviously want everyone to see, and then you ask them what it was and they are like 'None of your business!'

Its the same thing as wearing really revealing shirts then getting annoyed at people checking you out.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mainly the thing that I define as 'none of your business' is when a couple's healthily working something out and things are getting better then one of their best friend's sticks their nose in to it knowing we were having problems and causes more when really it isn't any of their business.

There's various other cases, but just saying that one from a past experience with a beached whale causing problems. :P

I have some personal things that are totaly none of your busines, and I will totaly tell you so if you try to check them out anyway.

Sorry, but privacy is still worth something IMO.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    Sorry, but privacy is still worth something IMO.
    seems ironic given your avatar :P

on-topic: You are right, if you inquire or pursue something that is, to me, personal--you're going to get a fat "none of your business"
    A signature infraction is the initiation ritual of MMO-Champion. True story.

It all depends on the context of why it was said in the first place. There are times when it really is your business to be involved and other times it's not.

15+ Year Old Account
    "My own bussiness" is anything I do not want to share with the person asking something to me.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    seems ironic given your avatar :P
    Haha, you are so right Thanks for that ^^
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    okay, if you don't like the phrase would you rather them be more technical and say

"I don't want to talk to you about this subject." ?

Because that's basically what it means.

There has yet to be someone born on earth that had the guts to say that in my face, instead of the internet

I have no problem telling someone that a subject is none of their business and likewise, I expect certain subjects are none of mine. I'm not the type of person to intrude on someone's personal business though. I figure if someone wants me to know something, they'll tell me. Otherwise, if it doesn't directly affect me, it's probably none of my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    okay, if you don't like the phrase would you rather them be more technical and say

"I don't want to talk to you about this subject." ?

Because that's basically what it means.
    Well you could always just say "i dont wanna talk about it" just seems a little more nice

Quote Originally Posted by Nomial17 View Post
    Phrase really bothers me for a lot of things. What do you define as your own business to the degree that you are able to talk about it/do something about it.

To me, my business is anything that concerns me or anything that I believe has a subtle effect on me or my life.
    If people are saying that phrase that often to you, you might want to re-think how you interact with people.

See, lets say for instance you have a friend who seems grouchy or unhappy and its getting annoying hanging out.

You ask for what the problem is and they state a few things.

You give some insight that they dont agree with

They respond with "Well its none of your business anyways"

To me. The point at which it started affecting our friendship is when it became part of my business, but thats just how I see it anyways. This is just an example, granted it has happened before.

So they told you what was wrong and then said it's none of your business? Seems weird

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, it means "GTFO, this is none of your concern." If it doesn't relate to me personally or who I'm with at the time then I agree, it is none of my business but if someone is infringing (spelling?) on my attempt at a good time or whatever (being loud, staring etc.) then and only then is it my business, other than that, they're correct, it's not.
    Tanks are made of steel, blood and a shield, not magic and twigs.
    My Warrior My Shaman

I hate that phrase. It's obnoxious and, more often than not, a lame excuse to get out of some bad situation.

Privacy is one thing and I totally respect it. But then actually keep it private. If you let it bother anyone around you, it's not your own business anymore.

But I have to admit I can be an arrogant son of a bitch. I poke at whatever I want to poke, and I hate to get told that. I will keep doing what I want because even if it's none of my business, it's none of your business what I choose to do or to think about it. But I never do anything wrong about it. It's just that most of the time it actually concerns me in one way or another, and because we live in such a small and complex world to keep our own business to ourselves, unless it actually is of no freaking business to anyone else, but in that case, shut up. If you're posting a message on facebook about how your life sucks, and someone asks "what's going on" and you answer "that's none of your business", you're an idiot. No, really, you're a huge moron.

But that kind of stuff doesn't actually concern me unless it's a friend or something, obviously. Even though I can be an arrogant son of a bitch, I still know there's a time and a place for everything, and not to invade anyone's life like that. But I will judge anyone I want, I'll make up every opinion I want about such things, even if I don't actually say anything about it, and I have every right to do so.

On another hand, I'm also a somewhat secretive person and I don't get to say that or anything like that to anyone because I CAN ACTUALLY TAKE CARE OF MY PRIVACY you know? Your own fault if you can't.

See I agree with that, if you give me any form of information and it bothers me even the slightest, it may not necessarily involve me, but it does become my business in a sense that I have the ability to speak up or make decisions which could possibly effect the outcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really to me. Its just something you don't want others to be involved with, I don't see if it needs any other reason / meaning, but I suppose others do. One thing you shouldn't do is announce it a problem then say its none of 'your' business, cause its hypocritical if anything else. If you don't want others involved, don't say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomial17 View Post

I don't really care what someone thinks is or is not "my business". I can think whatever I want and look in whatever direction I want. If you don't like me staring at you - feel free to do something about it.
    Last edited by namelessone; 2011-09-15 at 06:15 PM.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...