Spec Choice, Tips for Ragnaros.

Soliciting advice from magi with experience beating Rags. In a 10 man, glasschewing on normal mode Rags. I made the swap over to Arcane recently, and hate it, but it is a noticeable dps increase for many fights so there you have it, but I am really struggling with Arcane on Rags. During p1, I have to move around so much (detonating traps) that I can never get a solid burst going for an appreciable length of time, and there's a lot of movement involved which cuts into my dps considerably (as compared to Fire, which I think is great in terms of dps mobility). At the same time, I feel like I need to stay Arcane for the Sons, since I can knock a big chunk of their health out right off the bat with PoM + AB, and I'm worried I won't have enough dps as Fire during p3 to finish it all out. Anyone have thoughts, experience, tips? Should I just suck it up? Am I doing something wrong?

I can usually get a burst in right before he launches the first shadow trap. Not a full burst, but enough to run through Arcane Power. I sometimes have to stall detonating the first trap. Also, if your run has a shadow priest, ask him to do the first trap, to give you time to sit on Rag a little. Also remember that Phase 1 really isn't about damage at all, and whether you can get in a burst phase or not will likely have no bearing on whether you kill him or not.

In Phase two, just watch the timers and see when Molten Seeds are due. You can plan some bursts around those. Stand near the border between where the middle Flames and back Flames are, to minimize how much you'll have to move for either. Phase 3 is entirely dependent on what strat you use. If you can let other people worry about Meatballs, then Arcane is fine. If you have to kite your own, then Fire may be better. That said, there's really no reason to not be Arcane for this fight (and every fight, sadly, Razor notwithstanding)

Phase 1, there really isnt too much moving...get to the trap semi quickly and as soon as you touch it, blink away...maybe a loss of 2 or 3 arcane blasts. Even though you are forced to move some, it will reset your stacks so you can basically just use arcane blast all of phase one when you can stand still...and just barriage when you move

P1 your DPS is just going to suffer if you're on traps, no two ways about it.
    Pray that you have a warrior in your group or another mage who will lose the roll against you.

It also helps to try and stay centred between the ranged in your group, and to use the time spent moving to cast mana shield and/or mage ward.
    Convince your raid not to spread too far apart (on ten man especially it really isn't necessary to be all over the place, you only need about 8-10 yards between players) and your DPS shouldn't drop too much.

When u get thrown up u are facing the direction u ran into the trap...turn around in the air and blink back to middle. I assume u have improved blink? Also you really shouldn't worry on raggy...i feel this is the best "team' kill boss out there...its about doing things right and making sure as people have mentioned when to burst and save POM for sons etc ....On baleroc you should be doing sick dps as well as lordy. And shannox if you not on dog duty...in fact most of them.....[COLOR="red"]
    Last edited by mortiferdea; 2011-09-15 at 02:40 PM.

Deleted
    If you are open minded or already know the spec, Frost is really great on Ragnaros.
    You only lose 1 GCD (the blink) per trap if you do it well, you are as much useful on the Sons, and every mouvement (like kiting a meteor or taking a trap) can really be a 0 dps loss.

Arcane does more damage than fire even with it's lack of mobility spells. For phase 1, don't waste time on the first trap until you finish at least your first burn phase cooldowns. If you have to run a distance, mage ward before entering the trap for free spellpower. Blink right as you hit the trap so you lose only the single gcd. Use Arcane Barrage, Fireblast and Ice Lance while moving, in that order of preference. Besides that, just try to burn your mana to 30% or so between popping the traps so you can evo before the phase transition and have it on cooldown.

Usually i don't have to be on traps and when im not i normally top the dps as arcane even with all the moving around.

When i do have to proc the traps i've been thinking about blinking right after the trap but havent tried it yet. Good to know some other people have and with great success. Gonna try it on next rag fight thanks.