Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    getting 20 this year, still living with my parents. i don't see a reason why not, it's expensive here in belgium to buy/rent a house exp when you also have to pay the taxes. I would live with my parents till i get a stable job and a stable relationship with someone, that makes it alot easier and then you could live just with you 2 togheter.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Situational. Like others have said, if you're boosting yourself up by living at home school/saving then you're fine. If anyone is gonna give you hell for living with your parents tell em to shove it.

If you're sitting home not doing anything.......then you should plan on getting out soon.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

its really situational...i for one didnt want to live one moment longer with my parents then i had to. they wernt going to help with schools and i only could cover going to community college....so i joined the military, havnet even lived back in my home state since.
    Originally Posted by statlerthegreat
    I don't play a real world simulator. I play World of Warcraft. Where I am a Goblin, named after an explosive, that hurls balls of arcane "fuck you up" at internet dragons/ogres/whateverthehellmaloriakis.

I'm 21 and still living with my parents because of studies and a terrible income. Not even paying rent, mom takes care of the food and laundy aswell, the best I can do is help out while taking care of my education and looking for a job.

Depending on what's causing you to live with parents, it's either accepted or classed as awkward here.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    In here it is normal you live with your parents until you finish studies and get on your feet a bit.

I really don't envy the american model where you are nearly kicked out at the age of 18 and have to spend a big chunk of what you earn at that age on rent.
    Not just the being kicked out part but it is highly frowned upon as if you are a total failure for living at home no matter what the reason.

15+ Year Old Account
    I see 25 as the tipping point. Unless you're doing a PhD or something.
    I am and always will be the optimist. The hope for far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Move out when you can afford to sustain yourself. Age doesn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont see a problem living with your parents until mid 20s IF you are paying some sort of rent, that being said i moved out when i was 17.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    this discussion wouldn't come up anywhere but america, where it's the in thing to do to struggle in life by moving out on your own. in many cultures the kids stay home until they are married. this is true with a lot of european and middle eastern cultures. why struggle to pay the electric bill and be broke and stressed all the time when you can live at home and help your mother out who raised you for 18+ years? don't think of it as leeching off your parents. if you have a job and are helping out then you aren't leeching. it's the losers that sit home and don't work and play video games all day that should be looked at. if you are helping your parents out and you are single, then there really isn't any age limit to staying home.

It really depends on the situation like everyone's said before. If you're in school I don't think it's bad to live with your parents until you're nearing 30, although I would personally feel weird living with them at 25. If you pay rent or such it should be fine as well, but depending on your situation it might just be more desirable to live on your own and pay more rent after a certain age.

Generally speaking, I'd say something like 25-30 if you're in school is fine, if you're working and paying rent ~25 is fine, if you have reasons like ciggy then any age is acceptable.

Edit: I'm 20, in school and spend >half my time at my gf's and help her with rent and looking to move out within a year.

times are rough, unless you have a real, solid reason and your parents don`t like you (lol?) then there`s not a problem, especially if you a) go to school or b) pay them and are helpful.

but I mean, 25 or 30 is definitely pushing it.

There are people of every age living with their parents, for one reason or another. I think it's particularly commendable to be, say, 50 years old and living with your parents to care for them as they reach the end of their lives.

For what it's worth, I'm 25 and live with my parents. I'm employed full time in a job that pays reasonably well and working on my future career. It's a pretty sweet gig to save money by not paying rent (because the house has no mortgage), and not pay utilities because I'm sitting in air that would otherwise be heated or cooled for my parents' sake.

Is there a downside? Not that I can tell, so far. My friends have places I can go to hang out at (those who aren't being stingy like me, at least), and I can crash at my girlfriend's pad whenever I want. The money that I would otherwise be sinking on rent, utilities, insurance, etc. is going towards plane tickets to visit my out of state friends, my savings account/investments, and doing more expensive things with my local friends.

I think people are too preoccupied with the image of living with their parents, when in this economy it just sort of makes sense (if you can stand your parents, of course). Not only is it not that bad for many people, it's arguably wise and enjoyable.
    Last edited by Illuminance; 2011-09-15 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    20 if you don't go to school anymore
    26 if you go to school

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    If it's too loud, you're too old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

30 is the cut-off; school or no school.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Depends on how well-off your family is.

But then there's some cases like my aunt, still living with my rich grandparents at age 43 or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

I'm in my 3rd year of University here in Canada, and it's so expensive to live on your home that until I finish my studies and get a salary that will be more than minimum (or close to), I won't move out. I just wouldn't make it with the time I need to spend on school. I'll be moving out at 27-28, but it's just how it is. 13$ an hour wouldn't let me live comfortably in an appartment without financial help, no matter how small or shitty it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    30 is the cut-off; school or no school.
    what if you are an only child with old parents waiting for them to die to get the house?

On a serious note though, living expenses here are ridiculously expensive if you are single and on minimum wage you might as well consider yourself homeless since the cheapest 1 bedroom apartments cost $650 + and minimum wage only gets you about $1100 before taxes you'd be unable to pay electricity, water, car insurance, bills and gasoline and and food. It is difficult to move out before making almost twice the minimum wage. Unless u have some amazing skill GL finding a job that pays $14+ an hour without spending 4 or more years studying. so I say too old when your parents can't stand seeing you in their house anymore
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2011-09-15 at 08:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you hit the dirt and don't get up. Im not one to critizise others choises here in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    If i could still live with my parents i would, i am 27 i love em both very much! Just can not live with em