Page 1 of 2
LastLast

demo lock LF advice about the next VP gear choice

hello everyone ,

this is my armory :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...sephoni/simple

I'm currently at 17% hit and 2002 haste which is just about the 1993 point for the extra Corr tick .

I have postponed my neck upgrade for a few weeks now because I don't know which one to get . I'm currently debating between [amulet of burning brilliance] which is hit+crit , and [firemind pendant] - a healer nrck piece with spirit+mastery .

I know the the basic principle is if it has spirit it's a healer gear but in this case I'm actually considering using it over the caster DPS one .

using the caster's neck will make me lose 153 mastery and 102 haste while gaining 119 hit and crit (which isn't very usefull for demo lock atm as far as I read) .

the healer's neck will gain me 3 mastery and lose 102 haste (same as caster's piece) and an extra 144 spirit that is totaly useless to us but as same as the caster's piece crit- can be reforged...

a third option is just keeping the one I got .

I could really use an advice on that decision because until I'll hit majordomo or raggs I'll probably won't get any upgrades suitable for me .

thanks you for your respones :-)

Don't get the spirit neck, the 1993 haste mark is overrated, and stop gemming for hit

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Don't get the spirit neck, the 1993 haste mark is overrated, and stop gemming for hit
    ty for your response .

as for the hit gemming , I only did it to bring me to exact 17% . when trying to regorge it off my other pieces I kept getting either over or under it while using 2 veiled demonsye got me the numbers I needed (the extra 2 veiled are for the +20 int socket bonuses) .

on the other hand , since I'll be losing 102 haste on both necklaces , why not using the healer's (mastery) one ? not being judgemental , just trying to understand the logic/priciple behind this choice for future referrance .

You really don't need to worry about hit cap as demo, get close but don't sweat it if you're off

Spirit is 100% useless, Crit and Hit at least have some value to you

don't get axactly 17% if you can't do it easily by reforging. Few points less won't really make a difference to you.
    I tried the +1 corruption tick and full mastery - in full mastery I got up to +2k DPS, so I'd say change to that. Extra haste was good in T11 when you wanted to get more procs of impending doom procs meaning more Meta phases. Now you want meta every 2 mins to stack with Moonwell Challice
    You don't want spirit - don't even think about items with it, unless you're changing from blue to epic.. or from 353 to heroic FL.. other than that you're just loosing too many stat points.

(what they are trying to say is int is more dps gain than hit, by a large margin - so 40int vs 20hit 20int gem etc is an inferior choice)

Don't gem hit, but reforge away to get there
    With moonwell chalice, you can skip the 1993 haste point, and go straight up mastery if you so desire - just make sure your haste is high enough that your meta cooldown averages 2minutes on whatever you are currently progressing on (and the dummy is a bad test, since you sit still so much :P)
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2011-09-16 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey I have a perfect Demo gear set up. If you want more details just let me know, but the best neck for Demonology is from Major Domo in Firelands (my setup reaches hit cap and the 1575 haste cap and dumps the rest into mastery (you should achieve 1575 haste and put the rest in mastery)). This neck is called the:
    Flowform Choker
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=71348

Things my set up uses from VP:
    T12 Pants/Gloves
    Mastery/Hit Wand
    Mastery/Hit Ring
    (Basically this is all you need. The rest comes from Firelands)

P.S. Our off piece is the chest from Beth (Robes of Smouldering Devastation)
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

1575 haste cap? lol what are you talking about

why would you suggest majordomo necklace, he hasn't even killed it yet. get the hit/crit one and why are you reforging your darkmoon trinket to haste? reforge to hit and drop the hit gems or use the vp neck and don't reforge your trinket. i thought rag hands were offpiece just because of higher ilvl.

Deleted
    1575 is the hastecap to get meta on 2 min cds.. other than that.. You dont need to hit any more haste cap since you will loose dps on it as demo

The hit gemming is fine, it's definately +EP to gem hit/int in your blue sockets. The 20int bonus guidelines that everyone throw around were relavent when we just hit 85, but the EP values as we geared up have swung way in favour of gemming towards socket bonuses. +10 int on a blue socket is absolutely fine and should be gemmed for.

Putting int-haste in your prismatic sockets is defiantely -EP though, and the yellow sockets will be pretty close depending on the socket bonus so you'll have to figure that one out for yourself.

You also need to focus more on mastery if you're going to be demo. Sure you do need to keep your haste up, but personally in my gear, the optimal reforge path was around ~1500-1600 haste after testing simulations with multiple reforging profiles. At the moment you have 2k+ haste, and it's definately not optimal.

Do not get the spirit neck. The hit-crit neck is a pretty good option for now. The majordomo neck is very popular due to the socket, so there's going to be competition for it when you get there and it drops, so you may as well use the VP hit-crit neck until you get lucky.
    Last edited by avengingbt; 2011-09-16 at 02:35 AM.

Hit capping as Demo isn't important

thanks everyone for all of your advices .

these are the changes I made :

1) kept the hit cap (wasn't sure because of the split opinions so I looked up EJ)
    2) kept veild demonseye in blue sockets for bonuses . replaced reckless ember topazes in prismatic sockets to brilliant inferno
    3) kept haste at 1573-ish and reforged anything else to mastery . also , changed +haste enchants to +mastery on boots and gloves

4) decided to wait until next week FL nerf and hope for the majordomo necklace . if I won't be able to get it in the next 2 weeks I'll settle for the caster DPS oneinstead .

I know the dummies are far from being any real indication but the changes you suggested allready gave me a 3K increase (24K avg unbuffed which I hope is ok ) so thank you all very much for your help .

I don't understand why people are telling you to not gem hit... from what I'm seeing on sims and rawr is that int is not greater than 2:1 on hit, haste (till 1573), or mastery. Yes, you can reach both hit and haste caps without gemming, but you are doing so at the expense of mastery, which is still worth a little more than .5 int. Therefore, anytime you have a socket bonus of 10 int, with a yellow/blue socket, you absolutely should go with the hybrid gem instead of the pure red gem as 30 int + 20 mastery > 40 int.

Am I wrong here?

I would not bother with the 1573 haste rating. It is not for making sure meta is on a 2 minute cooldown. It is for an extra tick of immolate, which unless you are multi doting, is not terribly useful.

Your haste can go below that and still have meta on a 2 min cooldown.

Dont worry about hit capping (within reason)
    Stack mastery
    Dont worry about haste points(unless really close to one)
    Wait for the neck off domo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivatives View Post
    Hey I have a perfect Demo gear set up. If you want more details just let me know, but the best neck for Demonology is from Major Domo in Firelands (my setup reaches hit cap and the 1575 haste cap and dumps the rest into mastery (you should achieve 1575 haste and put the rest in mastery)). This neck is called the:
    Flowform Choker
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=71348

Things my set up uses from VP:
    T12 Pants/Gloves
    Mastery/Hit Wand
    Mastery/Hit Ring
    (Basically this is all you need. The rest comes from Firelands)

P.S. Our off piece is the chest from Beth (Robes of Smouldering Devastation)
    Really hope you are talking about 378 gear. Cause otherwise you are way off from BiS gear. Even for 378 best for anyone is 4 whatever set pieces you can scrap together.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

Don't sweat the hit, it will come with gear and stop gemming for it. 40 int is where the DPS is at, unless the socket bonus is at least 30 int.

I would also not sweat the extra tick and would go for mastery. Being below the hit cap as demo will not hurt you in a way that you will clearly notice, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyy4 View Post
    I would not bother with the 1573 haste rating. It is not for making sure meta is on a 2 minute cooldown. It is for an extra tick of immolate, which unless you are multi doting, is not terribly useful.

Your haste can go below that and still have meta on a 2 min cooldown.

Dont worry about hit capping (within reason)
    Stack mastery
    Dont worry about haste points(unless really close to one)
    Wait for the neck off domo
    You act as if the only thing you get from haste is ID procs and extra dot ticks.

You cast faster. The more things you cast, the more damage you do. It's mathematically provable via simcraft that having around this amount of haste is a dps increase.

I wish people would stop spouting this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by avengingbt View Post
    You act as if the only thing you get from haste is ID procs and extra dot ticks.

You cast faster. The more things you cast, the more damage you do. It's mathematically provable via simcraft that having around this amount of haste is a dps increase.

I wish people would stop spouting this nonsense.
    I was specifically talking about haste points and meta cooldown.

Obviously haste makes spells cast faster and dots quicker.

I never said to ignore haste, just specific haste points.

There is no nonsense here, the difference between a high mastery and 1573 haste+mastery barely exists in simcraft in my gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    Really hope you are talking about 378 gear. Cause otherwise you are way off from BiS gear. Even for 378 best for anyone is 4 whatever set pieces you can scrap together.
    Well he's not doing heroics yet. It's all BiS until heroics. =D

---------- Post added 2011-09-16 at 05:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Calabera View Post
    Don't sweat the hit, it will come with gear and stop gemming for it. 40 int is where the DPS is at, unless the socket bonus is at least 30 int.

I would also not sweat the extra tick and would go for mastery. Being below the hit cap as demo will not hurt you in a way that you will clearly notice, if at all.
    20 int is actually ideal. You sacrifice 20 int for a gem and get a secondary stat, but get the 20 int back from the socket bonus.
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!