Healthy Weight Range - What do you think.

I am 5"7, with a small to medium frame, male age 24. The "healthy" weight range for my body is 58kg to 72kg.

I was 80kg, now I am 69.6kg. So I am now in my "healthy" weight range, but I still feel like I have a gut n still some excessive fat that could go.

My family is saying I am fine at 69kg now and I shouldn't go any lower. But - my family thinks anyone who loses weight automatically becomes a anorexic - So it's hard to take their advice as being 100% truthful.

I want a good buffer for my weight, for example, I don't want to be right next to the top range of my healthy weight, because If i go off-course for a week or two, I will be back over my weight range. I want to be on the lower end of the weight range for myself, so even if I did gain 2-3kg back, I'd still have plenty of leeway and I'd easily be able to recovery that.

Maybe I should post a picture of my top half to show you guys my chest/gut? Maybe that will help you know

Part of this will depend on your end goal. With proper nutrition and even light exercise, it's quite easy to maintain a pretty low (i.e. ~10% ish) body fat. At that point, you'll have showing abs and all + a potential lower weight. Being healthy and in good shape does not mean anorexic by any means.

Hell I'm your age and maybe an inch taller, but I'm only 63-64 kgs. I eat very healthy and exercise. I look good and feel good. I'm happy how I am.

So long as you're happy with your frame, or even if you want to work on it, that's cool.

These forums here are for advice, questions and support. So yeah. More power to ya.

ima get to 65kg and see what its like. But I really would prefer 61-64.

why does weight matter? i'm sorry but you can never set a goal when it comes to a healthy weight because there's too many variables: bone density, size of bones, muscle density, water retention, length of the limbs, most of which are genetically designated before you were born. find out what your bmr is, eat healthy, don't overtrain and see where your training routine takes you, in 2 years from now you'll know the right answer.

Deleted
    To me it's not about weight either. Weight isn't everything. There are a lot of factors to be taken into consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by solari View Post
    bone density, size of bones, muscle density, water retention, length of the limbs, most of which are genetically designated before you were born.
    I look at my body fat percentage and ask myself if I feel good. According to my bmi I'm just on the verge of being overweight, but my body fat % is just in the middle of the healthy zone. To me that says I'm doing fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Weight isn´t that important, it´s bodyfat % you should look at. Anywhere between 8 and 20(not sure on that one) is healthy. What Solari said about about the variables of weight is about right. Those aren't taken in consideration with BMI calculations.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Deleted
    I used to be 90kg with a body fat of 3%, Weight sais nothing.

Weight is hard to measure by. Muscle mass weighs considerably more than fat mass, so somebody that would normally be seen as "overweight" can be in fantastic shape. I wouldn't say that I'm body-builder status or anything, but I am in great cardiovascular shape but I do lift heavy weights and have a lot of muscle relative to my size, which is already big to begin with (6'4").

I just go subjectively. Can you fit in your pants? Can you run more than two miles without falling over? Chances are you're in better shape than most people.

A good "diet" (and there's quotes because it's not a diet, more a lifestyle change) is The Paleo/Caveman/Hunter-Gatherer/Primal Blueprint Diet. It makes sense when you learn about it. I would suggest checking out (if not buying) The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. He lays down the basics in that book. Here's a crash course:

20,000 years ago, primal man had a higher life expectancy than the average human during the advent of agriculture.

Humans in modern tribal communities in South America and Africa have a much lower rate of genetically predisposed diseases such as cancer and diabetes.

So what do you do?

You eat things only available to a primal man. Meat (Fish, Poultry, and Red Meats) Nuts (non-salted), Leaf and Root Vegetables. You cut out all "processed" foods and try to get as many organic foods in your diet as possible. (no grains, including whole-wheat grains, and NO SUGAR).

As far as exercise goes, you don't have to be a marathon runner. You do low-cardio exercises like hiking, swimming, crawling, etc. Every once in a while you sprint. Also, you lift heavy weight with low reps. This simulates the activities of a caveman.

That's a very cursory explanation, but it seems to work great.

Here's some background on me:

I was a US Marine, I was in for about 2 years when I got booted for weight. I was 215lbs and my max was 197. They allow you to be 18% body fat. The only problem was they used the "taping method" which is highly inaccurate (They taped me at being 23% body fat, when I got a caliper test done by a medical professional, it said I was 13%, but the Marine Corps disregarded that as credible evidence, hence I got the boot.) I was distressed afterwards and ended up falling into the sedentary lifestyle that many Americans follow. My girlfriend has Ovarian cancer and it was doing a number on her immune system. She was constantly sick, and many times she would fear the worst. (This also added a lot of stress in my life.)

One day a Marine friend of mine told me about this diet, and he kept going on and on about it. So I decided to give it a try.

It only took a week of following the plan to the T before I started noticing results. I started getting slimmer, pants started fitting better, and I felt a lot better. Not only physically, but my mood was elevated and self-confidence was up. My girlfriend started noticing things too. She was getting sick less and less, her pants fit better as well, she was wearing things she has had since high school and they fit perfectly. She also enjoyed the walks we take. (Also, her sexual appetite increased 10 fold, which I wasn't expecting.)

I'm not trying to sell you the diet, but if you really want to try it, I highly recommend it. It's doing wonders for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koudbiertje View Post
    I used to be 90kg with a body fat of 3%, Weight sais nothing.
    3%... sure ya did.

i like what rodin said, the human body was never really designed to eat the staggering amount of carbohydrates people eat these days. i still don't know why the fda reccomends so many servings of grains and carbs to people, must be the agricultural industry or something like that pressuring them. i get most of my carbs from veggies, nuts, and maybe one or two servings a day of sprouted grains that's it.

Deleted
    I weigh 110 kilos, and mesure about 1m90. (19 BTW)
    I'm overweight, but I'm just built sky high with broad shoulders and a large demenure.
    I've never had health problems of any kind and I eat enough food everyday for 2 people. (I watch what I eat mind you, I just eat a lot)

Health range heh heh heh. Be comftortable with who you are : that's all that matters, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Deleted
    Technically I need to lose 5 pounds. Do I care if I'm 5 pound over or under my "ideal weight"? Not a freaking bit. I'm fine with my weight, I don't wanna miss out on the godlike foods like chocolate or ice cream because of some standard. I eat very healthy, but I can't imagine a life without chocolate or ice cream either.

My problem isn't really my diet though, it's me not doing enough exercise. But I hate doing that stuff too. I'm not gonna use my time on something I hate, not until it is really necessary. When I'm 15-20 pounds overweight I'll start doing something about it.

I'm fine now, and unless you're totally miserable about your weight, just let it go. If you have a girl/boyfriend and s/he is fine with it and you're fine with it, I do not see a reason to change it.