Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does everything fit for this high end gaming comp build?

All prices are from newegg.com I would appreciate if I could be directed to a lower price also if there are better components than what I have posted here for the price I would be thrilled to be directed towards them. =)

CPU:Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
    $220
    GPU:MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    $500
    Optics Drive:ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
    $21
    HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    $60
    SSD:Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    $180 (amazon)
    Mobos:ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    $200
    AMC:COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
    $30
    PSU:CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    $120
    $100
    RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    $70
    Case:COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 230mm front fan, 1x 230mm top fan, 1x 230mm side fan, and 1x 140mm rear fan
    $150

$1651

Monitor:Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1
    $180
    Key Board:Logitech G510 Black 18 Function Keys USB Wired Gaming Keyboard
    $80
    Mouse:Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse
    $51
    Speakers (optional):Logitech Z313 25 w 2.1 Speaker System
    $35
    Sound Card (optional):ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Audio Card
    $50
    Decided I didn't need
    Is on-board sound okay or is it worth it to get dedicated speakers and a sound card?

$346

$1997
    Last edited by steelblue; 2011-09-16 at 09:53 PM.

Looks good to me.
    You don't need a full tower case, a mid tower would work fine... it's personal preference.
    Also for a gg rig like that, you may want to look into getter a better monitor... 23" dell ultrasharp would go sexy with that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Would recommend an MSI Twin Frozr cooler over the EVGA cooler.
    2) Sound card? Well, if you have a good use for it (do music/studio stuff) then alright go for it. Otherwise the inbuilt motherboard one already provides quality surround/etc.
    3) Are you aware of the benefits of a modular PSU over a non-modular? If you are, great. If not (and you hate cable mess), I would look into getting an HX or AX series Corsair PSU over the TX. Tad more expensive but worth the modular features and increased quality/efficiency.

Rest is all great
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-16 at 02:14 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely go full tower. I was told that it was a preference too.. but I have NO idea how I would've fit everything into my case if it wasn't a full tower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    However, if you're not interested in 100+ FPS at max settings
    Assuming he plays nothing other than WoW and he's not interested in Crysis1/Warhead/2, Metro, BF3, etc >_>

That mobo has a pretty good integrated sound chip set (7.1 surround) and unless you have perfect pitch and a huge crush on audio, it'll fulfill all your needs. Otherwise, the build looks reasonable. Your PSU is a little smallish if you intend to expand at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%20650d

This is the case I just bought; its not a small case, but it doesn't actually look all that big because it has clean lines and excellent cable management, as well as some modular HDD bays. Costs a little more, but that's quality you're paying for.

seems good,

i would

a) get a bigger SSD (120g ones dropped in price a lot)

if you cannot afford it, reduce the mobo to the ASUS z68 LE

b) case is plastic and fairly rubbish (IMO) i would get a Coolermaster 692

c) MSI over EVGA for Graphics Card, but it's only minimal and some stores dont carry MSI

Changed quite a few of my specs.

The keyboard is pretty... lulz? I guess, when comparing it to the rest of the rig. I would opt for something with a little more oomph to it, like a G15 or something similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblue View Post
    Changed quite a few of my specs.
    Awesome, I've got no more suggestions for that build now

You asked dedicated speakers with a sound card? Well separate speakers are a no-brainer for me (who wants to always have a headset jammed on their head just to listen to something?), but you still don't need a sound card unless you're doing studio-work or audio processing and have an extremely high-end speaker/headphone setup.
    Your motherboard comes with a Realtek ACL892 card which provides 7.1+2 channel surround (more details about it HERE), what more could you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    The keyboard is pretty... lulz? I guess, when comparing it to the rest of the rig. I would opt for something with a little more oomph to it, like a G15 or something similar.
    I was reaching the high end of my budget I figured that I could save some money by not getting a $100 keyboard. Does a $20 keyboard vs a $100 keyboard change much other than looking cool?

Regarding gaming keyboards, they're usually wider and the keys are spaced further apart, which makes it easier to game, essentially. They also usually come with programmable macro keys, various memory settings so you can swap between different key profiles as well as other nifty features like the ability to just flat-out turn off your Windows key.

They also sometimes have back lights, which makes it easier to game with the lights off (great for those night time sessions of Dead Space 2 or Amnesia) and are usually all around more comfortable to use. Regarding the G15, and other G-Series keyboards from Logitech, they come with an LCD screen that offers up a slew of useful information if a game supports it, as well as other programs (such as Core Temp displaying CPU frequency, BLCK, multiplier, load and temperatures on the LCD screen).

So yes, I'd say there's a lot that the $100 keyboard changes over the $20 keyboard, other than looking cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Regarding gaming keyboards, they're usually wider and the keys are spaced further apart, which makes it easier to game, essentially. They also usually come with programmable macro keys, various memory settings so you can swap between different key profiles as well as other nifty features like the ability to just flat-out turn off your Windows key.

They also sometimes have back lights, which makes it easier to game with the lights off (great for those night time sessions of Dead Space 2 or Amnesia) and are usually all around more comfortable to use. Regarding the G15, and other G-Series keyboards from Logitech, they come with an LCD screen that offers up a slew of useful information if a game supports it, as well as other programs (such as Core Temp displaying CPU frequency, BLCK, multiplier, load and temperatures on the LCD screen).

So yes, I'd say there's a lot that the $100 keyboard changes over the $20 keyboard, other than looking cool.
    What do u think about my compromise keyboard $50. The only thing i question is the palm rest i cant tell if that will bother me or not.

---------- Post added 2011-09-15 at 10:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Awesome, I've got no more suggestions for that build now

You asked dedicated speakers with a sound card? Well separate speakers are a no-brainer for me (who wants to always have a headset jammed on their head just to listen to something?), but you still don't need a sound card unless you're doing studio-work or audio processing and have an extremely high-end speaker/headphone setup.
    Your motherboard comes with a Realtek ACL892 card which provides 7.1+2 channel surround (more details about it HERE), what more could you want?
    Also I don't plan on expanding much over what I currently have would a 650 watt psu work and save me some money over the 750 psu I have listed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only bought my G110 because of the LED backlight and because it's mechanical. The other most-used feature would be the start/stop/next/volume controls on the keyboard (it's got a really nifty volume wheel). Haven't used the programmable macro G-keys yet, I can't even reach them with my left hand soooo I really don't see a point in having those on "gamer" keyboards...

Microcenter.com carries the i5-2500k CPU for $179.99. If there is a store nearby, it's even better, you can save on shopping!

weird double post?
    Last edited by Mybuddyphil; 2011-09-16 at 05:49 AM.
    Mursenary (Blood/Frost PvP) - Archimonde US
    Narahinto (Resto PvE/Resto PvP) - Archimonde US

Quote Originally Posted by Mybuddyphil View Post
    You do know that the human eye can not detect higher than 60 fps right? That means all those people flexing their epeen in their sigs with "I run such and such game at 140 fps" are just touting that they have 80 wasted fps. If you want a better gaming experience, and want your hardware to last longer, then cap your framerate at 60, that way on more complicated scenes, your rig can "take a break".
    Right, and I suppose you also know the airspeed of an unladen swallow. If you did any sort of research about the human eye and what it's capable of, you would know that this bullshit about it not being able to detect higher than 60 frames per second is just that, bullshit. It only takes 24 frames per second for the appearance of fluid motion, that's all that means.

Here's a little thing: the USAF (that is the United States Air Force) flashes an image of a plane in front of a pilot for 1/220th of a second. The pilot must then identify the plane. Most people can identify the plane, which then means that the limit is actually BEYOND 220 frames per second. The actual waste here is the fact that the monitors can't physically display that many frames per second, as their refresh rates won't allow them to. So please, shut up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also I don't plan on expanding much over what I currently have would a 650 watt psu work and save me some money over the 750 psu I have listed.
    Well...yes, a TX650 will be enough for the system with overclocking headroom. A system like yours under full stress (both CPU and GPU) should pull no more than 550w tops and a TX650 is known to be capable of pushing up to 700w if it needs to (standard Corsair quality ).
    How about ah HX650, would you consider that? It's a modular and higher-quality version of a TX650, I'd only recommend coming down to a non-modular PSU unless your budget is really tight, you'll love how you only need to plug-in the cables you need!

Here's an example, a TX650 will look something like the PSU on the right - a giant mess of permanent cables. A modular one will look like the one on the left, you only need to plug in what you need and can put away the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Well...yes, a TX650 will be enough for the system with overclocking headroom. A system like yours under full stress (both CPU and GPU) should pull no more than 550w tops and a TX650 is known to be capable of pushing up to 700w if it needs to (standard Corsair quality ).
    How about ah HX650, would you consider that? It's a modular and higher-quality version of a TX650, I'd only recommend coming down to a non-modular PSU unless your budget is really tight, you'll love how you only need to plug-in the cables you need!

Here's an example, a TX650 will look something like the PSU on the right - a giant mess of permanent cables. A modular one will look like the one on the left, you only need to plug in what you need and can put away the rest.
    PSU:CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply... is that the one you were talking about? Cause if it is you just saved me 30 buck =)

10+ Year Old Account
    PSU:CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply... is that the one you were talking about? Cause if it is you just saved me 30 buck =)
    That's exactly the one

I swear HX650 was silver certified but just checked on Newegg and it's indeed bronze...my memory's going woozy o_O
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-16 at 07:52 AM.