Deleted

Question about Cyberpower

This might seem like a bad question to ask and it might just be my flawed reading that hasn't picked up the information I'm trying to find out; however I think it's best if I ask anyhow.

I am planning to purchase a new PC from the Cyberpowersystem.co.uk website and I want to know whether the company builds the PC for you or not. Has anyone had past experience buying PCs from this site and can anyone give me some information on whether or not they build it for you?

Thanks and sorry for my naivety if I have misread anything on their site.

They build everything, test it, and burn it in through 2 QC sessions before shipping. When you get it, unless you want to mod it any further, you can basically plug it in and start it up.

I bought a PC from them. HORRIBLE experience.

They do build the PC for you. Be aware they may not put in the components you ask for when it comes to stuff like memory etc, and will not bother to inform you. I paid extra for nicely branded memory, DVD drive, and some other stuff I forget now...later inspection of the machine showed that a cheap alternative had been put in. This machine has crashed every so often (clear hardware failure) from day one and went unfixed despite being under warranty. They messed us about with the finance. I paid for the fast delivery (rush order, +£50) and it took them 3 weeks to even dispatch the PC - and they refused to refund the rush fee. Contacting them was great...till things went wrong, then they became shirty, ignored emails and contact, and were generally horrible to deal with.

If I had to do it again, I would definitely, definitely go elsewhere. Even if the Cyberpower site looks awesome, shiny and promising.

Oh, and I had a friend who also bought with them a year after I did...he also had problems and found the customer service abysmal. Not recommended at all.
    Last edited by shesta; 2011-09-16 at 07:51 PM.

Forgot to add, my experiences are in the US, not from Europe. I have no experience with that wing of the company. I've had a total of two issues with the two machines I've purchased:

1) They had to remove an intake case fan in my first machine because I ordered a killer heat sink and it wouldn't fit because the heat sink was nearly the width of the entire case. They included the fan in the box, but it was worthless.
    2) The intake fan in my current case slowed down, which seems like a faulty ball bearing, but they have already shipped a replacement and that part is from CoolerMaster, not from CP.

Again, their European offices may be completely different from the one out in Cali, but I've recommended their systems for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdunka View Post
    Forgot to add, my experiences are in the US, not from Europe. I have no experience with that wing of the company. I've had a total of two issues with the two machines I've purchased:

1) They had to remove an intake case fan in my first machine because I ordered a killer heat sink and it wouldn't fit because the heat sink was nearly the width of the entire case. They included the fan in the box, but it was worthless.
    2) The intake fan in my current case slowed down, which seems like a faulty ball bearing, but they have already shipped a replacement and that part is from CoolerMaster, not from CP.

Again, their European offices may be completely different from the one out in Cali, but I've recommended their systems for a few years now.
    This may not be great information but I'm told they work quite differently in the UK, and may as well be a separate company. A few people advised me of that after I had my issues.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shesta View Post
    This may not be great information but I'm told they work quite differently in the UK, and may as well be a separate company. A few people advised me of that after I had my issues.
    I find that hard to believe considering their websites are the same.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    I just looked up the company information, the parent company is the same, but that doesn't mean a whole lot, it just means the fat man up top gets income from two different countries. Obviously the business practices could be completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Lots of websites look the same between nations but the companies can still be run pretty damn differently. Being an expat, I have much experience of this. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    As I take it your from England I would recommend either buying a custom prebuilt from either overclockers uk or aria.co.uk, or do what I am doing and build it yourself. You won't get full customization but you will get a nice system made by a good website. Take this for example: http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming...roductId=46352. You of course will be paying x amount of money for labour, but they make solid builds. i wouldn't recomend cyberpower personally, espcially due to these recent concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivenom View Post
    That's like saying I can put my graphics card in my dog's skull and she'll see everything in HD tri-color sparkles. Are you really saying we can upload Rebecca Black intot heir system and scramble their defense turrets? Maybe smack on a Java RNG program and cause their weapons to self destruct. Tell you what aliens, come at me! I know C++!! /endrant

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdunka View Post
    I just looked up the company information, the parent company is the same, but that doesn't mean a whole lot, it just means the fat man up top gets income from two different countries. Obviously the business practices could be completely different.
    Which can be said for just about every company that does business in multiple countries.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I've bought two computers from CyberPower. When I was in high school (knew software but was a complete moron what what good hardware was) I bought a desktop from CyberPower. It wasn't too bad, I think we payed $800 but I would later learn the motherboard and processor they use (stock and not allowed to upgrade) was absolute crap. I had shutter problems in games (updated all drivers) and was not the best experience but I figured I learned from it.

In college I decided to buy a laptop to game on. I chose CyberPower (someone shoot me for even thinking it a second time). I bought a $1,500 gaming laptop that was supposed to be very powerful. Again, I was still an idiot and have learned tons since then. The machine overheated all time time, even after reapplying thermal paste. I had an FPS drop to about 2 FPS once every 40 minutes or so. On Hodir, I had to turn EVERYTHING down to the minimal and turn the sound off in order to even keep my FPS ~10. I contacted Cyberpower probably 20 times over the laptop. I sent it in twice for the FPS drop and both times I was assured they had fixed the issue yet both times I got it back (after paying shipping twice) it was not fixed. Customer service is HORRIBLE. I was hung up on multiple times and when asked to talk to the supervisor nobody was ever around. Eventually I asked for the head of the company. They gave me a name and I tried to contact multiple times and was unsuccessful. After further research online I found out nobody else could contact him either and most questioned if he actually existed.

I contacted the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and they could really do nothing since they really have zero power. Eventually I plugged the laptop into a socket at my in-laws house and it fried. In-laws split the $500 renters insurance deductible with me and I bought an ASUS G71-GX from Best Buy and I have been REALLY pleased.

I plead with you... DO NOT USE CYBERPOWER. There are MUCH better options available.

Note: I also have an insurance policy separate on my laptop. A personal articles policy from State Farm. I pay ~$12 a year and get full coverage if anything happens to it (including water damage), and no deductible. I highly suggest it.

I went out

My post took about 30 minuets to write (so keep that in mind how much I beg you not to use Cyberpower). Somehow it didn't post...

Nutshell: I bought two machines from Cyberpower. BAD BAD BAD Idea. Freeze issues, FPS Drops, anything you can think of. They use CRAP motherboards they buy in bulk to cut costs. They cut corners in everything they do. Sent laptop in twice and it still wasn't fixed. HORRIBLE customer service, hung up on multiple times.

DON'T USE THEM! STAY AWAY!

Hmm, I'm in the US and I was going to buy a desktop from them. Now I'm a bit skeptical if I should.

I'm currently using one from their UK firm and in the 3 years i've had it not so much as a squeak out of it that i would consider "worrying" (i've litterally had to change 1 fan - 3 years that's not too bad to be honest), perhaps i was lucky, but like i said, no problems with them whatsoever.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

I bought the computer I'm using right now from their US company and it was a pleasant experience. Computer got here with everything I ordered in it, and it worked right away and has not had any problems for a couple months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fignewton5 View Post
    I bought the computer I'm using right now from their US company and it was a pleasant experience. Computer got here with everything I ordered in it, and it worked right away and has not had any problems for a couple months now.
    Did you at any point have to call and talk to their customer support, or in any way have to get help?

Because your satisfaction is quite meaningless if there was never anything wrong. That doesn't tell a dime about the company selling it to be perfectly honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of issues I'm noticing is people with good experiences picked one of their standard models, while other people went away from standard builds and added extra things to the build. I've seen many threads on this topic past few weeks, and it seems( not saying 100% true in anyway) that for the most part it is only the custom builds that have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Did you at any point have to call and talk to their customer support, or in any way have to get help?

Because your satisfaction is quite meaningless if there was never anything wrong. That doesn't tell a dime about the company selling it to be perfectly honest.
    I just got done processing an RMA through them for a case fan that has a bad ball bearing, went through just fine. The fan is being shipped as we speak, they didn't give me any hassle.

When I ordered my first compy through them, they called me within about 3 hours of processing to tell me that the memory that I had requested wasn't available and gave me some options on what I could do. And when I got this 2nd compy that I'm using right now, they called me in about an hour or two to tell me that they had to special order the video cards because it isn't something they normally keep in stock, because they generally aren't purchased. So overall, my experience with them has been a positive one.

try scan.co.uk u have the build the pc urself but it all comes ready for u to build like a bit of lego. got 2 pc's from them so far and each working perfectly. plus their customer service is fast and great. the first build i bought from them got delivered within 5 days and the 2nd within 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    Hmm, I'm in the US and I was going to buy a desktop from them. Now I'm a bit skeptical if I should.
    Well if you did indeed read the thread, the common thought is they're an okay company in the US. Just in the UK they see a lot of issues.

I'm in the US, and my husband had a Cyberpower pc for a few years and loved it, never really had a lot of issues. He upgraded, but we still keep it around in case anyone has computer trouble and need a sub while we get replacement parts. Hasn't failed us yet, just outdated these days for gaming.