Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    played both on xbox and loved them. since then i have gave up the xbox and gone for pc gaming with my newish rig. i once again tried both of the dragon age games but can barely concentrate for long enough to even get started. it requires too much micro managing of the other characters in your party, which takes away from the journey with your own character. on the xbox you can go through just playing your created character but from the little i played on the pc, it doesn't seem like you can do this, which is a bloody shame in my eyes!

Deleted
    It's easy.

DA:O is an old school PC RPG like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter, etc.
    DA2 is an action RPG.

That's why there is hate from one towards the other. And I understand, DA:O was promoted as going back to the old RPGs and delivered, then Bioware releases DA2... DA2 shouldn't be called a sequel.

make sure you play a female character in DA2, the male main character isn't interesting at all

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    make sure you play a female character in DA2, the male main character isn't interesting at all
    depends on what class you play really. if you're a warrior there's no point being female cause then the brother will survive and play as a warrior also (i think? correct me if i'm wrong, i can't remember 100%). the female is a much better choice so you get a mage partner for win/win combos as you play your warrior.

DA1 is awesome, DA2 however is far worse, and if the side quests don't drown you in boredom, the revised combat/stat system definitely will. People complain that DA2 took out the RPG elements, I don't give two shits about what "Those people" consider RPG elements, however I will say that a lot of the good stuff from the first game was made much worse..

Dragon Age: Origins is probably the best modern RPG, but Dragon Age 2 is little more than a hack and slash action game. if you like the other BioWare games you'll probably enjoy Origins, but DA2 might disappoint

the biggest difference between the games (although there are many others) is the replay value. personally if I buy a game I expect to get my moneys worth and Origins more than delivered with six different prologue chapters, multiple choices throughout the game which can have minor to massive impact on the story, multiple endings and an almost infinite amount of smaller differences in the epilogue narrative

DA2 has very few choices, none of which make any real impact on the way things play out and despite a choice on who to ally with at the end, the ending plays out exactly the same regardless of your choice. it's good for one play through but there's no point in playing twice. I can't judge the DLC as I haven't tried it

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    depends on what class you play really. if you're a warrior there's no point being female cause then the brother will survive and play as a warrior also (i think? correct me if i'm wrong, i can't remember 100%). the female is a much better choice so you get a mage partner for win/win combos as you play your warrior.
    nope, sibling survival is based on your class rather than your gender. if you're a mage then your sister (also a mage) dies. if you're a warrior or a rogue then your brother (a warrior) dies
    Last edited by rayvio; 2011-09-18 at 11:30 AM.

I forced myself to finish DA:O, because I had high hopes some unexpected plot twist would come up. I was thoroughly disappointed. After you finish the Origin story, which is just a 30-minutes novelty of no consequence to the rest of the game save some cosmetic ones (supposedly elves get it a little toughter? Dunno... Never played it again.), you get told who the main bad guy is and why you have to kill him. Then you walk through 4-or-so mandatory side-quests (dwarves, mages, elves, Denerim, ..?) which add little to nothing to the main villain's story.
    Then you kill the villain.
    Done.

I started the game as a dwarf rogue, went to the mage-tower and killed that mage NPC party member, I made that evil mage chick a pure DPS and thus had no healer. I got quite far on HP-potions alone, then my hard drive crashed and I lost my game. I restarted with a mage, took in another mage, a warrior and a rogue and I waltzed through the combat. And I played on hard (because I thought nightmare was death = done).

There's a couple of dragons in the game. The first one (mother of that chick) I one-shot, that one with the urn took about 5 tries, last dragon took a little longer, in the end I killed him with my warrior with the rest of the party dead. There were adds but due to friendly fire, dumbass dragon killed those for me.
    Then there was this broodmother (the one with the tentacles) which everyone said was very hard. Yeah right.

Long story short: this is no Baldur's Gate. It had, as someone already said, lots of potential but they blew it. Big time.

Needless to say I never even warezed DA2 let alone buy it. Took a look at the demo, played it for like 5 minutes and quit.

DA one is amazing and DA2 is slightly less, but a small step back from amazing is still damn good. Combat isnt that amazing tough, if your into high-action combat. But the choises, characters and plot is excellent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    nope, sibling survival is based on your class rather than your gender. if you're a mage then your sister (also a mage) dies. if you're a warrior or a rogue then your brother (a warrior) dies
    ah right, i only played a male warrior (mage sister survives) and female mage (warrior brother survives) so i just assumed it was based of gender, thus concluding that female warrior = male warrior brother survives.

I highly enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, I haven't played the second one, but I've heard bad things about it. :/

DA1 was an amazing rpg game, good story and 70 hours gameplay, DA2 was console trash for PC set in 1 city and took 10 hours to complete......

I like both of them
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."

Dragon Age is a definite must for any respectable rpg player. Dragon Age 2...not so much. In fact I would say it was trash, really.

dragon age is one of the best rpgs ive ever played
    very good dialog/good story/not to much choices/if you play the addon too it will become balanced
    dragon age 2 is also quite good but if you want to play a warrior i high recommend to buy a weapon pack for the spirit meele weapon

10+ Year Old Account
    The first one is great, the second not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    short answer: YES very.

Longer answer:

DA: AMAZING game, must have played it, and it's expacs through at least a dozen times, great story, great characters, graphics/combat could have been better, but it was MORE than good enough to hold me while I played through like a hojillion times (I would recommend a Dual Wield warrior for your first playthrough they're BEASTLY)

DA2: I wish this could have been a better game... they improved everything that was bad with DA, the Combat system is worlds better (even if they removed DW warrior ) and the graphics are nice and shiny.... but sadly in so doing they seemed to have lost all that made DA such a memorable game, the story is disjointed, and somewhat scattered (I think the story from Act 2 should have been the main story throughout the whole of the game, and the story from act three should have been a substory) the characters where VERY hit and miss (I LOVE MERRILL, and Varric is priceless, but Isabella annoyed me and Ander's was SUCH an emo, although this wouldn't be AS bad if you hadn't played Awakenings, and didn't know him from that.) and most annoying of all was the questing, which seemed so... bland.. compared to the first one, so many 'here's an item you found in a barrel, go give it to someone and get a small lump of XP' and 'heyya! go into the same cave your been in 10000x already and find someone ELSE whose been kidnapped, and bring them back to me' quests.

what I pray is that with DA3 in the works already they'll take TIME on it, use DA2's combat engine, and get the people who wrote DA1 back, then try to make a decent story to go through the whole thing, possibly linking in the stories of DA and DA2, have some interesting, memorable and most importantly RELATABLE characters and for the love of gods bring back Dual Wield for warriors
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    DA:O was an amazing RPG that required a strategic mind, and no shortage of skill. It's story was superb and it's dialogue was great. Not to mention companions were brilliantly done with all the hilarious banter.

DA:2 was plot filler. Pretty much, DA:2 was the gap between DA:O and DA:3. And it was atrocious. I despised DA:2's button masher gameplay with a passion.

DA2 just felt more like a spinoff and shouldn't of been DA2, people had higher expectations and didn't like some of the drastic changes. basically they tried a different way of storytelling and it didn't go as well as they'd hoped.

-a set story that your in
    -keeping the story in a set area
    -set story outcomes