Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Staghelm 10man HC - Which strat?

hey guys,

going to progress on staghelm heroic tonite i'm not sure which strat is more viable for our setup:

prot pally

restodruid/balance
    restoshaman/ele
    discipline priest
    holypally

frostdk
    furywarri
    rogue

arcanmage
    shadow
    hunter

i know i've listed 11 players, thats our roster for tonite.

so far we've been trying the 12-7-6-7-12 strat, with 3 players standing outside during the first 5 slashes in scorpion but we haven't been successful mainly due to dumb mistakes.
    with 3 melees, would the 0-7-0-7... strat be better? so far we've had problems with any orbphases, that's why we have never tried this strat before.

any suggestions?

We always take 4 slashs with 3 ranged dps outside ( me lock , spriest and hunter ) , and then we keep rotating the fight with 7 jumps , and spread at 60 energy again. For the 1st seed phase we use paladins to bubble certain people so they can keep their damage buff. We have a spriest and hunter as ranged on orbs , and a pala and a dk ( or 2 dks , not sure ). After this phase we use heroism as there is no seed nor orbs. When we reach the last orb phase we have most people to help on the orbs ( eg me taking an orb to save others , visa versa for melee ). Our raid setup is: Hpala . Resto sham . Affi lock . MM hunter . Spriest . Ret pala . Frost dk . Frost dk . Prot pala.

Deleted
    We have tried 2 different tactics, the no slash/leap tactic and the 5/7/0/7/0/7 tactic and from our experience the last one is very very easy. The only thing you have to deal with is the orbs the rest is easy. Make sure your ranged dps/healers are running when the cat is at 90energy so when it leaps on them they are already out of the leap spot and they don't lose their bonus dmg/healing and take almost no dmg.

We have been 2 healing this tactic and it's going very well we just need to arrange our dps on the orb phase better and it's a kill but we've only had a couple of hours on him with a lot of tactic switches.

5/7/0/7/0/7/0/7

Easiest strat there is, we avoid the second orb phase this way (although we would easily if we 2 healed it going 0/7/0/7)

If you struggle with DPS you may even do 5/7/0.... with 2 Healers. Peaceofcake.

Deleted
    We killed him last night using 0/7 on repeat with 2 healers (resto sham + healadin), he dropped the scorpion phase before the 2nd orbs with 1 player on 28k, rest >35k. Used 2 melee (retri+cat) and rest ranged. Dropped on our 8th attempt using tank + melee to take orb most in the middle and 2 hunters to take the most outward one.

Deleted
    yey i dont see any adventage in doing a 2nd scorpion phase. we just take like ..i dno 11 slashes in 1st phase..spread out..do 7 catjumps, go together and spread out again at like 60 energie...so dont riskin a 2nd scorpion phase...later u cant do more then 3-4 slahes w/e raidcouldowns anyway...so no need to make all ppl lost concentration just to gain like 30 seconds.

Deleted
    We 3 shot this by using the 5/7/0/7/0/7/0/7 Strat.
    However, we are really bad @managing orbs - But its still easy
    Elemental is the best ranged spec for this encounter (in my opnion) cause Lightningbolt on the move + strafe @Cats leaps, is win.

Fury is the best choice for cleaving cats.
    You didn't define the spec of your rogue, but if his combat let him go cats aswell, if hes assa let the frostdk go on cats. I would use the following setup
    "
    Prot Pala
    Restodruid
    Ele sham
    Holy Pala

Frost Dk
    Fury war
    Rogue

Arcanmage
    Shadow
    Hunter
    "
    You switch from Scorpion to Cat when he reaches 70 energy, and you take 7 jumps every Cat phase. The trick to live through the cat phases, is first of all having good ccommunication, to have the druid healer pop tree form during that phase, and having 2 ranged on each orb. Remember, you don't have to hug the orb, its the closests one that gets the debuff, so start out being kinda away from it, and move closer - Easier this way around. We kill it before we get second pair of orbs, but it doesn't matter as its doable with. During the second, I would suggest you use Tranq/Hymm during critical moments. GL hf. - Strafing on cats is key, once your raid gets that hes down.
    Last edited by mmoc909dfd26c8; 2011-09-18 at 10:38 AM.

Deleted
    0/7/0/7/0/7/0... is easiest tactic. With proper execution this fight is even easier than shannox in normal or halfus HC.

We have Feral tank + 3 healers in Domo. It's 2 healable, but we don't have any dps problems and with 3 it's just safer.
    Orb phase is the most challenging part in this encounter, if you succeed to do it twice without any raid deaths, you get the kill.

We are using our tank + healer in first orb and other 2 in the second one. By this all our damagedealers can keep their damagebuff and continue doing great dps. Dps average is over 40k, and our combat rogue / arcane mage is pulling 50-60k.

Pre-pot, use lust at start, pewpew.

Tips:

#1 Make sure that every dps that doesn't have mechanics to avoid in minium time those leaps (blink etc), starts running. Yeah, you lose some dps via this, but certainly less than if you lose your dmgbuff.
    #2 Count leaps carefully. Announce to raid in voicechat when 5th leap is on it's way. On 6th raid should move a littlebit closer to tank as after 7th leap there ain't much time left before 8th. Leap in the raid is the worst thing that can happen.
    #3 Your Arcane mage won't lose his dmgbuff in the seed phase by using ice block to avoid damage.
    Last edited by mmocb49a1a203f; 2011-09-18 at 10:53 AM.

The 0/7 tactic is mess in orb phase.
    The no leap/slash tact is nobrain and can be done easy with 2 decent heals, even if you manage to screw it and have 4 orbs at one time

Use 2 healers and do the 0/7.. tactic. It might take you some attempts to practice the orbs, but it'll get better. Have 1 tank and 1 melee + 2 ranged soak the orbs.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    0 - 7 tactic we use with 2 healers (holy pala (myself) and disc priest), we have 2/3 melee, 1 tank and rest ranged. The ONLY hard part once everyone gets used to stacking back and moving from leaps quickly and trying to keep the damage buff are the orbs. We have 1 healer (myself) and our shadowpriest take 1 set of orb and the tank + 1 melee take the other. It is preferred to have a class with some sort of damage reduction to help as the healing is very nasty, swap at 5 stacks. We constantly died to leap + orbs whilst learning, but we got used to moving and watching it, you can also have someone call out 2/3 sec before boss leaps so you can prepare to move. Have your melee kill the kittys that spawn, they may need assistance from a ranged if only 2, but that should be no problem.

Also the orbs last till the boss has 5 stacks ( 5 leaps), survive and he's down. Rinse and repeat. If your dps is high enough he should die before calling the 2nd orbs or a few sec after the 2nd orbs are up, just ignore them and burn!

Is the no scythe strat really that much easier? I've heard conflicting reports. My guild tried this guy for an hour on hardmode and our best go was about 20% with the regular strat 12/7/5/7/8/7/5/7

edit: also how many stacks of the buff that he gets when he changes form can you take? or will you just hit enrage first?
    Last edited by fearmemortals; 2011-09-18 at 12:45 PM.

I really cant imagine the Healing of 0/7 tact with just 2 heals, our healers are not bad or badly geared but we allways died in the 1st orb phase, than we switched to 3 heals and we killed it with 3 secs in enrage on our 1st kill. From that on we use the 0/0 strat and its much more easy to handle everything and healing is just nonproblem with 2 heals.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can someone explain the benefits of going 0/7/0/7/0/7/0/7 all the time?

My raid just downed him with 13/7/6/7/8/7/5/7 (etc.) with 3 healers. It's challenging but not that hard. What's the benefit of the other strategy and how do you execute it exactly? Just spread whenever he's close to unleashing the first Flamescythe?
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post

My raid just downed him with 13/7/6/7/8/7/5/7 (etc.) with 3 healers. It's challenging but not that hard. What's the benefit of the other strategy and how do you execute it exactly? Just spread whenever he's close to unleashing the first Flamescythe?
    It means you can easily two-heal the fight and the raid getting gibbed to seeds or just getting behind on scythes won't happen. The fight is cleaner and smoother because of this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post

Simply put, it increases the uptime of the 100% damage/healing buff you get on the heroic version. The boss has a lot of health, if the dps can be doing 50k or so each for the entire fight, it's better than taking those extra scythes.

2 heal, 0/7/0/7/0/7/0/7 tactic works wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionotics View Post
    2 heal, 0/7/0/7/0/7/0/7 tactic works wonders.
    I can't believe debate still exists as to which is the better strategy. Removing scorpion phase from the rotation trivializes the fight into nothing more than a tank and spank with moderate tank damage. You have 1 orb phase which requires that TWO people out of 10 have to possess any idea how to play, and with two high survivability people (we use a destro lock and a boomkin) the healer can make a sandwich during the orb phase and everything will work out fine.

The damage just becomes completely predictable, you stand there, DPS, walk a few feet when you find yourself on fire, and collect loot.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can handle orb phases, 0/7 is fairly easy. Don't fall asleep tho.