10+ Year Old Account

Internet to stream WoW.

So on the 16th I got my new computer from CyberPower PC. I absolutely love it! No more 14 - 7 FPS on boss fights with Ultra or Low settings. Now I can actually experience the game with.. OH LOOK A SHADOW!

Anyways though, Now I'm on the case of upgrading my internet into something with a little more kick to it. Currently, I am using.. 7Mbps? Gross I know, but it gets the job done. But now, I'm getting into streaming, and uploading videos that I fraps after editing it.

I called up Quest, and they said I am able to upgrade to 20 or was it 25 Mbps? But that comes with a package deal or something with TV. And that'll round up to about 98 dollars a month.

I called Comcast, and they said they could get me 50 Mbps for 99 dollars, no TV included. (I don't watch TV, only my roommate does.)

So which one of these would you suggest on me getting? I want to be able to stream WoW, Call of Duty and other games of the like without losing too much of my bandwidth but also stream videos where I am not blurring out every time I am moving while playing games. But I also don't want to be getting something where there really is no point because after X amount of Mbps, there really is no difference.

Please help!
    The cat is out of the bag.

Find out about the upstream speed, not the downstream speed (the speeds you quoted are downstreams).

For uploading videos and streaming while playing your upload speed is more important than your download speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Find out about the upstream speed, not the downstream speed (the speeds you quoted are downstreams).

For uploading videos and streaming while playing your upload speed is more important than your download speed.
    \

What's a good upstream?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    5+ for upload
    No idea what you mean by that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ravegirl View Post
    upstream = upload

They mean the same thing.

I'd look for 5 Megabits upload or better.

5 MBPS Upsteam. ((1024x5)/8)) = You can upload at a speed of 640 kb/s

Anything higher is obviously good. Check www.speedtest.net to check both upload and download speeds

You should get a 5+mbps upload for smooth streaming

When you get an internet package from a provider, you're given an average or expected upload speed and download speed. Entropy is suggesting that you would require 5mbps upload speed along with your proposed download speed for decent streaming.

50 MBPS Download is hella fast. thats about 6400 kb/s Download. You can pretty much download a movie in less than half an hour.

---------- Post added 2011-09-18 at 11:34 AM ----------

You look like Sasha Grey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlust View Post
    50 MBPS Download is hella fast. thats about 6400 kb/s Download. You can pretty much download a movie in less than half an hour.

---------- Post added 2011-09-18 at 11:34 AM ----------

You look like Sasha Grey.
    Comcast has one for 50 mbps and a 10 mbps upload for 114$.

Good?

Oh yeah definitely, You can stream smooth gameplay no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonlust View Post
    Oh yeah definitely, You can stream smooth gameplay no problem.
    Awesome, thanks for all your help everyone!

Good?
    What the fuck? Where do you live, I get 75/40 for free.

Good?
    it's quite expensive i think but not bad , i pay about 85 € so it would be arround 120$ for 50mb connection + phone + cable tv

Keep in mind Comcast has a 250gb/month cap for residential users. Streaming will eat away at that.

If you want to stream, say via Xfire or something, you have to remember that the more people who connect to watch, the more bandwidth will be required (Obvious I know).

That being said, I'm not sure of the exact quality, but I would guess that the video output on average for things like that is probably ~256 kbps.

Seems like simple math but I believe, 256 kbps would actually want a connection of ~1.5Mbps upstream, and that's just for that streaming, I'm not sure how your streaming works, whether it's going to be connected directly through your personal bandwidth or if whatever you're using sets it up through proxy, with you uploading the stream to their servers and then them redistributing the stream to users.

I'm not really certain on much of this as every service can vary, but I can affirm one thing: ASK THE ISP's YOU LISTED WHAT THE UPSTREAM IS, DOWNSTREAM MEANS NOTHING FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO SEND OUT.

Also, don't forget your bandwidth is shared for up/down meaning: If you get say 25 Mbps down with 7 Mbps Up, but you start streaming and it eats up 6 of your 7 Mbps Up, you will only really have ~3.62 Mbps left of your downstream, or something like that. Which seems like a lot but is in effect less than 500 kb/sec down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.