Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Most MMO subs and users in chart

So I accidently found myself into this site called MMOdata when searching mmo sub numbers. It has quite nice charts and its very intresting to study and look at imo.

Personally I had no idea AION had close to 3-4 million subs! And you can see in the charts the very "shocking" wow sub loss..which doesnt even look bad when looking at the chart, lol. So what do you guys think? Are the games you want to be in good shape there?
    As you can see there are pretty hefty amount of sub losses all around in other games aswell at the time wow lost their subs, so it might not be just wow's problem. And yes, these are not 100% accurate as only people who know the real numbers are companies themselves. I assume most of these are taken from companies yearly/quarter announces

Subscriptions : 1m - 12m

Subscriptions : 150k - 1m

Subscriptions : 50k - 150k

Subscriptions : 0 - 50k
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2011-09-19 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Ive been using this site for a while, and theres a little background you need with this. His numbers are not completely accurate for any of those data points he puts out.

So take any of the ones that people use as fact with a grain of salt, ill point out one obvious one.

The rift data points i believe as speculated on by the number of sales in first month of the game. There are no concrete numbers for this game yet and wont be till probably the 1 year mark.

Deleted
    I remember when Rift announced the "1 million account" mark when it didn't count game subscriptions. Now its not even 450k (and falling, no surprise there). Not baiting for arguments, please don't start that one, I was really hoping it would do well when I bought it -and they never reeled me in (I guess its the same as most people judging by the charts).

However accurate the charts are, anyway.

All I have to say is, look how many games were uptrending in 2004 then just crashed and burned.

And I can confirm that the Warhammer numbers are basically spot in. The game was looking promising and the patches EAMythic released for it at the 3 mo mark just demolished it.
    Last edited by Kaeleena; 2011-09-19 at 12:18 AM.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    I remember when Rift announced the "1 million account" mark when it didn't count game subscriptions. Now its not even 450k (and falling, no surprise there). Not baiting for arguments, please don't start that one, I was really hoping it would do well when I bought it -and they never reeled me in (I guess its the same as most people judging by the charts).

However accurate the charts are, anyway.
    Ya i just want people to know that these numbers are only ballpark figures, they hold no factual proof about the true population of any of the games listed. Only companies know what their true numbers are, and some are private companys that dont have to report their earning to investors so we may never know the numbers truely.

btw clampy i play rift and i take no offense to how you feel about the game, games are subjective. To each their own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    Ya i just want people to know that these numbers are only ballpark figures, they hold no factual proof about the true population of any of the games listed. Only companies know what their true numbers are, and some are private companys that dont have to report their earning to investors so we may never know the numbers truely.
    Yea, but on the top 2 charts at least: when you are talking about a jump of 50k people (taking into account the total number of players), the accuracy isn't far off. But its not perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, but on the top 2 charts at least: when you are talking about a jump of 50k people (taking into account the total number of players), the accuracy isn't far off. But its not perfect.
    I definately agree on the top chart, the 2nd chart though i know atleast one of those is inaccurate due to lack of information. Theres alot of other games that are missing current data points as well on that chart which kind of brings into question it being current.

I read once in a Lineage II quarterly statement that they had something like 14 million subs... I lol'd real hard, because everyone playing the game knew that they were counting inactive and the thousands of bot accounts. This was sometime around C5 or so, when the game started slowly dying out

Some of the data I am not suprised about... AoC, Rift, Warhammer all have steep drops.
    Last edited by Zarasthura; 2011-09-19 at 12:39 AM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

I would say Aion and Lineage have such high numbers due to the Asian market

Read an article recently, subscription based revenues are down 5%, the first time they've dropped ever, while microtransaction revenues are up 24%. Subscription revenues are still higher than microtransactions, but the gap is closing.

Deleted
    First time i ever even heard from second life, even tho it has so many players.

After a quick glance on wiki, it says there they had over 1 million user in 2006 and now the number is way over that so i think these charts might be way off.

Also no wonder i havent heard from it before

10+ Year Old Account
    So um... where's Guild Wars on this list?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Guild Wars doesn't require a subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by anathama View Post
    Beat me to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anathama View Post
    Neither does DDO, LOTRO and Second Life... Or Runescape for that matter.

My favorite was the Matrix line.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Neither does DDO, LOTRO and Second Life... Or Runescape for that matter.
    They used to be, seeing as the chart goes back to the 90's I'd say they count. As for Runescape, I believe it does? Or so I've heard of F2P servers, I have no idea.

GW has over 7 million accounts but only 2 million of them are active.

Much like WoW has over 40 million accounts but only 11.1 of them are active.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    They used to be, seeing as the chart goes back to the 90's I'd say they count. As for Runescape, I believe it does? Or so I've heard of F2P servers, I have no idea.
    RuneScape is F2P with a P2P premium service (member areas with extra weapons, spells, quests and armors, as well as minigames and skills). Guild Wars is in the same market and should be represented as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many subscription MMOs are losing players to F2P games. It's not as though people have quit playing MMORPGs, they're just poorer now than they were a few years ago. And, to be fair, there's never been a better time to play F2P games--there are alot of really good ones out there now.