Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New PC, check it out before I order

So I'm buying a new PC, went to the store (how old-fashioned ) and after a lengthy discussion we worked out the following would be good:
    I was wondering if anyone here wants to call me a moron for one or more of these choices:

Intel Processor Core i7-2600K, s1155

Sapphire Videocard Radeon 6870 VAPOR-X,1GB

Asus Motherboard P8P67 B3,s1155

Corsair memory Vengeance DDR3,1600-8GB KIT

2X LG TFT Monitor 23" E2370V-BF IPS-Panel

Cooler Master Case Centurion 5 II

Cooler Master PSU Real Power 620W 3SLI,PI,Active,PVC,Modula <-- 2 years old but should be just fine

If you're only going to game with it go down to i5-2500k. Either you could save the money or upgrade your graphics card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    After 6 years, we've finally collected enough of their scales to have a full set of Murloc scaled armor.

I'd say you get a better PSU and graphics card, take an i5 2500k instead, it's actually better for gaming than i7, hyperthreading is basically dragging it down a bit when it comes to games.

620W is kind of doubtful, I'd say getting a 700W+. If you get for example a 850W 80+ Gold it will last for quite a few years. But if money is an issue, get a 80+ Bronze.

I decided to go for the i7 because I expect it will last me a lot longer, especially with new games using more threads.

---------- Post added 2011-09-19 at 06:53 PM ----------

How would I calculate how much power I need?

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    I decided to go for the i7 because I expect it will last me a lot longer, especially with new games using more threads.
    Number of games using more than 2-3 cores can be counted with fingers of one hand. Not the best way to spend $100 really.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Number of games using more than 2-3 cores can be counted with fingers of one hand. Not the best way to spend $100 really.
    I'm not talking about the games coming out right now or in the next year, because it's not going to matter for those. I'm talking about 2-3 years from now.

I would definitely drop down to the i5-2500k and put the extra $100 into a better video card. A good 2GB Radeon 6950 or a GTX560 Ti. I've also noticed that G.Skill Snipers and usually Ripjaws X tend to have the same specs as Corsair but at $20-30 cheaper. Worth looking into.

I would think 620W would be plenty as long as you don't intend on doing SLI or CrossFire, but I am no expert at PSUs
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not talking about the games coming out right now or in the next year, because it's not going to matter for those. I'm talking about 2-3 years from now.
    You could save 100, take a 2500k, and when Ivy Bridge comes out in around a year or so you could pick up one of those or get a cpu that has hyperthreading down the road.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Actually, the HT capabilities of the i7 have been shown to have a negative impact on games. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...0_7.html#sect0 Not only are there very few games currently out that can use HT, even the ones that can use it are better with it disabled.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    I would definitely drop down to the i5-2500k and put the extra $100 into a better video card. A good 2GB Radeon 6950 or a GTX560 Ti. I've also noticed that G.Skill Snipers and usually Ripjaws X tend to have the same specs as Corsair but at $20-30 cheaper. Worth looking into.

I would think 620W would be plenty as long as you don't intend on doing SLI or CrossFire, but I am no expert at PSUs
    620w would be more than adequate for two 6870s. I'd go less than that for Crossfire, personally.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    what's yer budget, OP?
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-09-19 at 09:57 PM.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

In 2-3 years you'll be looking into buying new CPU anyway regardless of if it's 2500K or 2600K, so no, it's not really worth it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    what's your budget, OP?
    Well, all this comes to about 1225 euros including windows, a hard disk and a dvd burner. My budget is the stretchy kind, I don't want to spend more money but I will if it's a big advantage.

Rather get i5-2500K and 90-120GB SSD. Will give you lot more performance for the money in games and everything else.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffsnuff View Post
    620W is kind of doubtful, I'd say getting a 700W+. If you get for example a 850W 80+ Gold it will last for quite a few years. But if money is an issue, get a 80+ Bronze.
    Why on earth would he need an 850w...?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    620w would be more than adequate for two 6870s. I'd go less than that for Crossfire, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Why on earth would he need an 850w...?
    ^^^^These, especially considering your PSU is a Continuous 620W PSU. Your 12v Rail offers ~43 Amps total (According to the picture that shows 516W total output on the 12v rails), and 2 6870s would only pull ~26 Amps (151W or about 13 Amps is the TDP listed for the card) which still leaves plenty of headroom for the rest of the components in your system.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Rather get i5-2500K and 90-120GB SSD. Will give you lot more performance for the money in games and everything else.
    How does an SSD equate to performance? I thought it only reduced loading times?

I think I'll sleep on the cpu, see what I think in the morning.

How does an SSD equate to performance? I thought it only reduced loading times?
    I can have my PC rebooted and ready to use in under about 30 seconds flat, I can install Windows Updates or any other updates for that matter in less than 1/3 of the time that it used to take, and games load instantaneously... To me the time shavings that having an SSD offered me is well worth it.

I think I'll sleep on the cpu, see what I think in the morning.
    If you're just going to be doing purely gaming and no heavy duty Photoshop/Video Editing/3D Rendering/CAD work, save yourself the money and go with the i5, it's just not worth the extra money for HT when it's been proven over and over that it doesn't offer much to the gaming crowd.

The reason I'm not worrying about an SSD right now is that I can buy one anytime and it only takes like an hour to install. Thinking of asking it for my birthday actually

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason I'm not worrying about an SSD right now is that I can buy one anytime and it only takes like an hour to install. Thinking of asking it for my birthday actually
    To be honest, if you get a cpu that will work with your motherboard, it will take even less time than that.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard