Thread: Transmog rules

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Transmog rules

Taken from blue post

Since we announced the transmogrification feature coming to World of Warcraft with patch 4.3, we have monitored thousands of follow-up comments, questions and suggestions from players all over the world.

What follows is our current list of rules for transmogrification. This is a set of rules that we expect to change over time, and is not intended to be 100% comprehensive, but we hope that it can be referenced to answer most questions that players currently have about what they can and cannot expect to be able to do with transmogrification.

• The character must be able to equip both items.

• Only common (green), rare (blue) or epic (purple) items may be transmogrified. (exceptions: a select few of these items will prevented from being used to transmogrify if they are inappropriate)

• Items must share the same armor type (examples: plate for plate, cloth for cloth)

• Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, Crossbows, or Bows)

• Guns, Crossbows, and Bows can be used to transmogrify Guns, Crossbows, or Bows.

• Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.

• Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.

• One handed weapons can be used to transmogrify a Main hand or Off-hand weapon.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it soulbound.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-refundable.

• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-tradable.

• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be transmogrified.

• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be used to transmogrify.

• Legendary items cannot be transmogrified.

• Legendary items cannot be used to transmogrify.

• Fishing Poles cannot be transmogrified.

• Fishing Poles cannot be used to transmogrify.

• Mailing an item strips its transmogrification.

• Placing an item in Void Storage strips its transmogrification.

• Vendoring an item strips its transmogrification.

• The displayed enchant will be that of the currently equipped item.

• There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    or a chest piece that is invisible)
    broke my heart... guess I missed it the first time it was posted

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if this counts as the "One hand swords can be copied to main hand or off hand" part. But I still got my sword from the battered hilt quest line (neither MH or OH one hand sword) can I copy it onto two different (or possible the same) one hand swords that are both neither MH or OH?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarshot View Post
    broke my heart... guess I missed it the first time it was posted
    Same here

Thanks for the post, OP! Very helpful.
    ~ My mounts collection ~

~ Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ~
    Thanks Elyaan for the signature!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    Not sure if this counts as the "One hand swords can be copied to main hand or off hand" part. But I still got my sword from the battered hilt quest line (neither MH or OH one hand sword) can I copy it onto two different (or possible the same) one hand swords that are both neither MH or OH?
    You can use a source item as many times as you have weapons to transmogrify, so unless they change it, you can use it on both weapons you're dual-wielding.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    You can use a source item as many times as you have weapons to transmogrify, so unless they change it, you can use it on both weapons you're dual-wielding.
    If they fulfill the restrictions.
    You can't transmog a Fist Weapon Mainhand to the Offhand, or a Spellpower Mainhand to the Offhand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of these rules are unreasonable. Still infinitely better than everyone looking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    • Placing an item in Void Storage strips its transmogrification.
    I dont understand this, does it mean that I cant place items in the void storage that I was going to use for transmogrification?

Quote Originally Posted by kakarott007 View Post
    I dont understand this, does it mean that I cant place items in the void storage that I was going to use for transmogrification?
    If you put a transmorg'd item in void storage, the item is reset'd to the way it looked like before transmorg

Quote Originally Posted by kakarott007 View Post
    Yes you can. They talk about the source of your transmogrification. Void Storage is the place where you put your stuff you never touch in your bank, but don't want to get rid of. So if I want the look of sword X on sword Y, I transmogrify X to Y, and then put X into the Void Storage, while I happily wear Y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leowyld View Post
    None of these rules are unreasonable. Still infinitely better than everyone looking the same.
    So instead of everybody looking the same in new gear, everybody will look the same in old gear.

Except this time, those people are going to be wearing the same stupid gear until the end of time.....

I think it's kind of lame that legendaries can't be transmogrified.

• There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)

I am disappointed - wanted to transmogify me wep to look like a fish

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I've heard people claiming you can only do weapons to another weapon of the same stats type. Like only spellpower swords to spellpower swords and AGI swords to AGI swords. Is that a restriction or no?
    At this time, that is not a restriction at all.
    This changes everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except, skatblast, not everyone has the same opinion of what gear looks good. Have you ever read responses to a tier preview they range from "awesome" to "ugliest thing I've ever seen". WoW players have a wide range of aesthetic preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Leowyld View Post
    Except, skatblast, not everyone has the same opinion of what gear looks good. Have you ever read responses to a tier preview they range from "awesome" to "ugliest thing I've ever seen". WoW players have a wide range of aesthetic preferences.
    Agreed, and seeing about ~250 Tier sets in raids instead of ~20, even if some will be overly represented, will be nice.

And all the rules are completely intuitive and reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    And nearly all greens and blues will work, so it will not *just* be tier sets. I have a non-tier outfit ready,

Maybe this was clear to everyone else, but if you mail a Bind on Account item is it still stripped of its xmog?
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it will strip transmog from anything you mail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arinth View Post
    Maybe this was clear to everyone else, but if you mail a Bind on Account item is it still stripped of its xmog?
    Most likely, yes it will be.