mithril stopwatch vs darkmoon faire card volcano

both reforged into haste

which one would be better?

mastery
    1600 int for 12 seconds and a chance to do 2k fire damage

or crit
    2000sp for 10 seconds

i have no idea what their internal cooldowns are

Both have an ICD of 45 seconds. For me (simmed), 1 point of int is worth about 30% more than 1 point of spellpower, so between the longer duration and the proc's little bit of damage, DMC:V wins (having Mastery instead of Crit is also nice). Results may vary, but DMC:V is a very, very good trinket. I would be surprised if the stopwatch were better for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think Darkmoon Card was still BiS for Shadow Priests in Heroic Firelands until they changed the trinket from Ragnaros. There's no question to this, 1600 Intellect is worth so much more than the shorter duration 2000 Spell Power, I can understand you questioning trinkets due to Item Level, but it's the 359 in this case.

DMV is BiS for shadow unless you have VPLC (like you said Ultima) or HTM or HNF... those are both better. (leaving out HVPLC because it's obviously better than everything).

Going to use Twintop's stat weights that he uses for his BiS list, but if you feel inclined definitely sim yourself too

First Items in question:
    Mithril Stopwatch
    Darkmoon Card: Volcano

Reforged DMV would be 193 Mastery and 128 haste; MS would be 204 Crit and 136 Haste.

First not including proc:
    DMV= Mastery 88.4712pp + Haste 66.7904= 155.2616pp
    MS = Crit 91.7796pp + Haste 70.9648 = 162.7444pp

Procs:
    DMV = 1600PP
    MS = 1484.916

Totals:
    DMV = 1755.2616
    MS = 1647.6604

So that is a very basic rough view and obviously not counting for durations and proc rates etc (Twin does all that for his list which you can review if you want). The only way I could possibly see justifying using MS instead of DMV is if you need the extra 8 haste from MS to put you over 30% hit... but that would be an incredibly rare situation.

i didn't know that int was valued higher. and the internal cool-down thing was important. I thought considering that the better i lvl trink had a shorter duration that internal cool-down might be shorter and would have been the only justification to change up.

thanks guys for the speedy and thorough response

Ah yea, Int is valued higher because it gives SP and Mana, while SP only give SP But yea... it is sort of odd that so few trinks beat DMV.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Ah yea, Int is valued higher because it gives SP and Mana, while SP only give SP But yea... it is sort of odd that so few trinks beat DMV.
    Spell power and crit more importantly.

Ah crit right... I have been in a forgetful place today

Edit:
    Found my own answer. Didn't realize it actually was on Twintops list... It's so far down the list that I missed it!

(Original post:
    Does anyone know how it compares to Necromantic Focus? Currently have DM:V and normal NF. Should I use stopwatch instead?)
    Last edited by Zarqa; 2011-09-21 at 01:23 AM.

NF is better than MS... it is also on twintop's list

Deleted
    Whats about to replace the alchemist stone to that trinket? I have 341 int and 194 haste.

Reckon they make the DMC cards so competitive in order to keep prices of herbs, flasks and glyphs in check - plus they're a pretty big gold sink for a while; I can still knock them out at 10k once the DMF has disappeared.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

INT is valued quite a bit higher (someone said 30%, I dunno) not because it gives additional mana, but because you get additional int through buffs (Kings, 5% for using same armor type etc) => int is more SP (and Mana) than SP :-)