Rate My New Upgrades

Hey guys I purchased my new upgrades today, looking for some opinions of others to see if I got a good bang for my buck.
    Old
    Replacing:
    CPU: Phenom X4 970
    Mobo : DDR2 Asus Board
    Ram: 4x1Gb DDR2 1066 mhz
    Case: Logisys Area 51

New Upgrades:
    CPU: Intel Core I5 2500k
    Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
    Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 2x4GB 1600 MHZ 9-9-9-24
    Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced

Some people say I will not see much a difference. I have this paird with a XFX 6970 and plan to crossfire them later with my 850 Watt XFX PSU.

I am not sure if I should install windows on my 40gb Intel X25 Sata SSD or just install everything on my 600GB HDD and use SSD Caching.

What do you guys think? Solid upgrade?
    More parts will be bought soon on a budget atm

Wont see a great difference, will see some, esp if you OC.

Will last your more into the future of course, because it still is, better.

One thing I noticed with the Logisys area 51 case, I am idling around 45c and maxing it out at around 55c at full load and been using it at stock settings. The case had terrible cooling. I also hear you can reach 4.2-4.5 stable ghz on the stock cooler with good temps if using the right case.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    sorry forgot to rate your build.......... i was roflìng to much irl over carhart.

your build is good and you will see a big boots in performance in games......... the i5-2500K is a beast
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    If you plan to overclock, I'd purchase a CPU cooler aswell.

For light overclocks get Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus/Gelid Tranquillo, for large overlocks you'll want something more beasty like a Thermaltake Frio/Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advance/Noctua NH-D14.

Rest of your build is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Moddy View Post
    I am not sure if I should install windows on my 40gb Intel X25 Sata SSD or just install everything on my 600GB HDD and use SSD Caching.
    40GB is too small really for OS and most used programs, you should probably use it for the SRT cache. Need to have minimum of 60GB, preferably 120GB before you can use it as normal OS disc with most used programs installed without having to worry about running out of space on daily basis.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Try to sell that 40gig SSD, buy a Corsair Force3 or any other brand with the Sandforce 3 controller.
    You will notice the difference, trust me I had a similar upgrade about 2 month ago. Adding a SSD for your OS and programs will make a significant speed increase in boot times and starting up programs like Photoshop, Office, etc. Even your browser will fire up instantly.
    Nowdays an SSD is the best upgrade you can get really... or you can spend thousands of dollars and will only notice the different in benchmarks.

Alright ya, I am a bit weak on the hdd side but one step at a time. I really liked the mobo and the cpu and the case and kinda blew all my budget for now. I will just do a fresh install on the 600gb hdd and use the 40 for caching till I can set a game plan and sell it and a 120 ssd for Christmas or something . Either way I am really excited about my new build. I eventually wanna run 2 1 Tera hdds in raid 0 config with a good 120 ssd for os and eventually another 6970 and 3 monitors for eyefinity.

---------- Post added 2011-09-20 at 10:11 AM ----------

I plan to get the Corsair h100 in a push pull system for a cpu cooler later down the road, probably my next step then ssd.
    Last edited by Moddy; 2011-09-20 at 04:15 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You will see a NICE increase going from a phenom to a sandy bridge chip.

I also had a bad windows install from the hdd that I got that was installed previosuly in a dell rig. I never bothered to reformat it and the computer takes around 5 minutes to boot up and everything ran like crap. So basically.... if I will see a good difference between the 970 to a i5 2500k basing your oppinion is on a clean working version of windows. With my bad installation it should feel like playing a toaster and going to a G6.