Gamers make scientific breakthrough!

Long time reader, first time poster. Ran across this article on yahoo today and had to share it.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...161920724.html

Really cool to see the gaming community getting some recognition for something positive rather than the "video games ruined my child's life" articles that tend to pop up.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-20 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks for the nice version of the link Nature. I remember seeing that thread now that you mentioned it Note. I didn't realize it was the same program.

10+ Year Old Account
    All I can say about this is WICKED!!!!
    but the theory has already put to practice by the american military (Creating their own almost Life like shooter) and its also done with a mathematical equation in the series Stargate: Universe where by one (in order to finish the game) needs to solve this big puzzle. That it also helps us defend against deceases such as HIV/AIDS is only proof to the conclusion that gamers arent stupid idiots they are just not understand people that want something to challenge them outside of normal life (which is most of the time very boring).
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
    Yeah Albert Einstein had it right

*Pops bottle*

I say, AIDS cure within 15 years!

Cheerio *drinks*

10+ Year Old Account

Online gamers solve AIDS enzyme puzzle

As reported: http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...161920724.html

"Online gamers have achieved a feat beyond the realm of Second Life or Dungeons and Dragons: they have deciphered the structure of an enzyme of an AIDS-like virus that had thwarted scientists for a decade.

The exploit is published on Sunday in the journal Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, where -- exceptionally in scientific publishing -- both gamers and researchers are honoured as co-authors.

Their target was a monomeric protease enzyme, a cutting agent in the complex molecular tailoring of retroviruses, a family that includes HIV."

So basically, when parents and teachers and bosses and whomever tell you: "Video games are a waste of time," tell them to get bent.

"History does not allow freedom to be defended by the weak and the timid." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953

yay for folding

everyone should join in.

Deleted
    yay for gamers i guess :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Note to mods: there is an earlier thread on this, please combine. Thanks!

Notice to user: Please use the report function for things like this
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-20 at 02:35 PM.

"History does not allow freedom to be defended by the weak and the timid." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953

Deleted
    Merged the 2 threads about this