Hacked e-mail trouble.

Well it appears I've just become the victim of some bastard hacking one of my email accounts. They've used my Hotmail login details to log in to an old Xbox Live account and pay for an annual Gold subscription family pack, the worst part it wasn't even on my card, it was my stepdads.

What is really confusing is when I log in to the Microsoft website it says the card has been expired since 2009, but there has still been a payment made on it.. How is this even possible? Is it possible to call MS billing and get this sorted? Or are we royally fucked?

Mod Edit: Changed the thread title a bit.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-20 at 04:40 PM.

ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

10+ Year Old Account
    Well shit. I'd call the card company and tell them exactly what happened, they have anti fraud procedures for stuff like that. Once my card was used to buy train tickets in France, and it was removed and taken care of.
    "The Tol'vir people must be really shy considering they don't ever speak to us.." -Zneebor LOL

Deleted
    The card company can reverse it, this thread will also get locked due to your poor title choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiki420 View Post
    Well shit. I'd call the card company and tell them exactly what happened, they have anti fraud procedures for stuff like that. Once my card was used to buy train tickets in France, and it was removed and taken care of.
    you should do this.

if its visa u can reverse it easily. Visa makes a few billion a year.. outta the numerous credit card fraud/scams losing a few hundred $ is just a write-off. you may need to file a police report though.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    Visa makes a few billion a year.. outta the numerous credit card fraud/scams losing a few hundred $ is just a write-off.
    I doubt it's even that much. 3% of the fraudulent transactions + man hours to verify stuff... if they've not yet gone nuts with big screen TVs and stuff, and if the man-hours are kept down by efficiency...

10+ Year Old Account
    Especially considering they let a payment go through on an expired card, the bank will fix this.

It was an AmEx card, does this make any difference? :-/

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Call the card company, they'll put a stop to it and not pay it out.

More importantly.... Get antivirus software on your computer, run a scan, and CHANGE YOUR EMAIL PASSWORDS (in that order).

Do not use the same password for all your emails, facebook, and game accounts-- once a hacker with a keylogger gets you- they will have all your accounts. Use a different password for every account you have. If you can't remember them, write them down (don't put them in your phone or computer).
    [IMG][/IMG]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farolok View Post
    No, just call them immediately, explain what's going on, and they will fix it. They messed up letting an expired card charge.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The card doesn't matter-- call them.. And, because it was an AmEx, that's why they got the charge through-- AmEx doesn't have an expiration date- if it's active, it's active, it doesn't expire like MC/ Visa. Don't use AmEx for subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Farolok View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Mammabones View Post
    Call the card company, they'll put a stop to it and not pay it out.

More importantly.... Get antivirus software on your computer, run a scan, and CHANGE YOUR EMAIL PASSWORDS (in that order).

Do not use the same password for all your emails, facebook, and game accounts-- once a hacker with a keylogger gets you- they will have all your accounts. Use a different password for every account you have. If you can't remember them, write them down (don't put them in your phone or computer).
    I just checked through the hotmail account the Xbox account was paired with, the payment was made on August 11th. I had literally reformatted my computer the day before this payment went through. :-/

I have different passwords for everything, every password I use is written down and taped to the back of my mouse mat.

definitely call the card company and definitely change the title of your thread.

Can't change the thread title now :-/ gah.

I'll need to wait until my stepdad is home from work to call them since it isn't my card, that's what the real problem is.

---------- Post added 2011-09-20 at 06:07 PM ----------

Thanks very much to the kind mod for fixing the thread title <3

Okay so first of all we called Microsoft and explained the situation, they didn't question us about anything in specific after we mentioned it was an inactive account and a credit card that had been expired for more than 2 years, they cancelled the sub and refunded us. It appears as though this has been happening to a LOT of people recently, as the very kind chap on the phone said "We're going to assume the account has been compromised and is being controlled by a hacker".

If anyone has any trouble like this at all and goes through to Microsoft support, if you happen to be talking to a guy called Chase he is super helpful!