Thread: Gears of War 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There's actually a thing in the campaign menu called "Previously in Gears" or something to that effect, it's a cinematic that explains the story I think (didn't actually watch it myself).

Campaign took me about 7ish hours I guess, I forgot I showered and ate lunch between 10:30-6:30, definitely longer if you do it on a higher difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    How long is the single player? I'm interested in the game, but I don't want to use multiplayer to justify the purchase. I haven't played the previous games, but I'd heard good things.
    Doing 4 player co-op it took me about 12 hours to to finish the game on hardcore, (hard mode) 2 of the 4 players were extremely experienced Gears players, concerning both campaign and multiplayer. Playing the game solo on hardcore would probably take significantly longer, and of course insane mode, the highest difficulty, would take the longest. I could see an average solo insane mode playthrough being 40 hours, or more if you die a lot.

And yeah, playing the previous games is kind of important to the story imo.

The game is really sub-par compared to the other 2. It's on par with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as I was able to finish the whole thing in 6 hours. The MP is pretty good, but nothing like a HALO or other FPS shooters.

Overall, it's a rental.

Bob

Sounds like I'll wait for it to end up in the bargain bin then pick up all three. Thanks!
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by voorshwa View Post
    The game is really sub-par compared to the other 2.
    I honestly have absolutely no idea as to how you drew this conclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Okay, I just finished the game about an hour ago, was doing 4 player co-op on hardcore.

I am completely and totally blown away by the campaign. It is so much better than I thought it was going to be. It is longer than gears 1 and 2 combined, and the battles are 10 times as big and epic. Some individual fights took upwards of 20 minutes to complete. I have been a veteran Gears player since the original and some of the bosses were genuinely challenging. They reused very few mechanics from gears 1 and 2 for the boss fights.

I had high expectations for the game, but it blew all of them out of the water. The entire game was simply astounding, especially act 3.

15-20 minute boss fights are win, and way better than the 1-2 minute gib fests they were in the first two games.
    I played solo hardcore and no fight took 20 minutes.

Well if you count the last fight as one long event it could be 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Well if you count the last fight as one long event it could be 20 minutes.
    I do, and it was. The lambent berserker also took 15 minutes or so. I don't know, it seems weird now doing insane mode solo. So far, 4 player co-op hardcore was definitely harder. Sure, the enemies deal more damage, but it feels like they die a little faster. I'm wondering if 4 player co-op gives the enemies more health.

We were all pretty accurate when fighting the lambent berserker. We all had to use the infinite ammo crate about 3 or 4 times before she went down. We were all using lancers or retro lancers. How long did that fight take for other people on hardcore? Did anyone else here do 4 player co-op?

So, i was just playing Gridlock online. Cogs won the first match. Start of the 2nd round everything gets a blueish hue, and the instrumental version of Mad World starts playing.
    Anyone had this happen to them before?
    Is it a random event? Is it triggered in some way?

If people dont know how the two are connected, Mad World was used in the first Gears commercial (at least in the UK)

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    So, i was just playing Gridlock online. Cogs won the first match. Start of the 2nd round everything gets a blueish hue, and the instrumental version of Mad World starts playing.
    Anyone had this happen to them before?
    Is it a random event? Is it triggered in some way?

If people dont know how the two are connected, Mad World was used in the first Gears commercial (at least in the UK)
    Its a easteregg that happens when you spawn on that side of the map.

10+ Year Old Account
    I beat the campaign today and it was just amazing. It was so emotional and it just made it a great ending to the trilogy. The MP is fun love horde and beast mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the best in the series. It's nice that they actually improved the gameplay consistently through out the trilogy. The gameplay is great, graphics are perfectly up to date with today's standards (imo), voice acting is superb as always, weapons just keep getting better and better.

I haven't beaten Campaign yet, but the story is REALLY great. I really feel like I'm in the situations with Delta. Constantly laughing at the dialogue and all the little banters between Baird and.. Well everyone else

Multiplayer has it's.. Ups and downs. It can seem biased (like all multiplayer games), but it's really easy to pick up. I haven't played GoW multiplayer in about a year or so, and I instantly got used to it, very easy learning curve.

Easily my favorite shooting game at the moment.
    I like to change my sig A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindaika View Post
    If Goblins were from Jersey, they wouldn't live in Orgimmar. They'd live in Crossroads and commute to Org via bridges and tunnels, and then complain about the Kodo traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    ... Why trolls? Because we regenerate 2 health per second and there is nothing you can do about it.

Multiplayer seems fine to me, it just comes down to not having an awful team and knowing when to use your shotgun/rifle. Shotgun is going to be your bread and butter but you can't just run around with it all the time

Multiplayer seems fine to me, it just comes down to not having an awful team and knowing when to use your shotgun/rifle. Shotgun is going to be your bread and butter but you can't just run around with it all the time
    That description makes it sound like any multiplayer ever.

Well in a lot of shooters you can kind of default to one gun (or you pick one for a round and you're stuck with it or something), I feel that the emphasis on choosing based on the situation is more prevalent in Gears.

If you exclusively use the shotgun you're going to get destroyed; the bullet slow will ruin your day. The shotguns are both fine if you know how to deal with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    After how abysmal 2 was, I'm not even bothering picking this up until the price drops haha. Do yourselves a favor, go pick up Uncharted 3 in November and see how a AAA title is supposed to be

Infracted. If you have nothing constructive to say (negative or positive) then don't post. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-09-23 at 04:58 AM.

If you exclusively use the shotgun you're going to get destroyed; the bullet slow will ruin your day. The shotguns are both fine if you know how to deal with them.
    I agree. Once more people learn how to deal with the shotguns you're going to see them used slightly less, but only slightly. Until then, it's great fun getting easy kills with the sawed off. Today I was playing TDM on Gridlock, I ran up into the sniper spawn and saw 3 enemies up there. I sawed off'd one, and ran away while reloading. I then repeated that two more times until the area was cleaned out.

It just amazes me how some people will let you roadie run right at them with a sawed off multiple times in a row.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I agree. Once more people learn how to deal with the shotguns you're going to see them used slightly less, but only slightly. Until then, it's great fun getting easy kills with the sawed off. Today I was playing TDM on Gridlock, I ran up into the sniper spawn and saw 3 enemies up there. I sawed off'd one, and ran away while reloading. I then repeated that two more times until the area was cleaned out.

It just amazes me how some people will let you roadie run right at them with a sawed off multiple times in a row.
    Yea the skill level of everyone is quite....low...right now in TDB/WAR. People consistently run at me with the retro and i pop shot em with the gnasher. Im assuming these are the people who haven't played online in 1 or 2 and don't really know what there doing. I expect to see more skilled players in the near future when everyone knows what their weapon, counter weapon combos.My load out is either. retro + gnasher, or HB + gnasher or saw off + retro. I don't know if this is a bug but if you melee with the retro, then pull out the gnasher quick you can 1 shot them, i guess its from the blade at the end.

Tips for new players, ALWAYS HAVE ACTIVE RELOAD READY. Also never stop moving, and wall bounce when your in close quarters.
    Pop shots are kinda hit and miss right now, I get them alot but, even when i line it up perfectly it sometimes just blows them to pieces instead of blowing there head off. My play style atm is very aggressive. Also smoke grenades are very useful, throw one into the other team, wall bounce till you get to them, then. Pull out the saw off, and get a ridiculous 3 kil+ combo while there stunned/disoriented.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

The sawed off is too limited for my play-style, there aren't enough bullets in the gun for me to kill people with >.>