Why am i unable to run WoW/Rift at ~50 fps anymore?

Hey all,
    About a year ago my computer took a shit on me. Before that happened, i was able to run WoW at 50 fps or above. I had a family friend repair it, and it seems that now I can not run WoW or Rift without it being a constantly frame-skipping spree. I dont remember the exact specs i had on my computer, but now they are:

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 DUEL CORE PROCESSOR 6000+
    4 GB (DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400) RAM
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 6150SE 430 Video Card

Could anyone tell me if running WoW at that fps is possible? I'm worried the 'family friend', might have swapped out my processor or video card.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dalandros; 2011-09-20 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Wrong detail

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, not much we can do to help you if you don't know what specs it had. I assume prebuilt? If so, take the sticker from the manufacturer and google the model of it to get us what it came with.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

You cant run it with decent FPS, because you got an outdated processor, and even when it was new, was sub optimal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterec View Post
    You cant run it with decent FPS, because you got an outdated processor, and even when it was new, was sub optimal.
    No, clearly not even close to the case, try again.

When your PC died, was it fully reinstalled or was it repaired software wise, a fresh install may boost things, but your graphics card is very weak, which could very well be the issue.

The CPU is an older type yes, but by no means a slouch in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    No, clearly not even close to the case, try again.

When your PC died, was it fully reinstalled or was it repaired software wise, a fresh install may boost things, but your graphics card is very weak, which could very well be the issue.

The CPU is an older type yes, but by no means a slouch in that regard.
    Considering I used to use the 6400+, Masterc was right, it IS suboptimal. And MMOs tend to get bogged down by the CPU more than single player games.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

DDR2 Memory and your processor are holding you back a lot as far as wow goes. Video card, is a bit old also but processor and ram will have a bigger impact.

Either Raped off or drivers aren't updated.

I hate to break it to you, but I had a family friend fix my computer and the same thing happened to me. Turned out the guy stole some of my ram and switched video cards on me. You need to verify through system spec's that everything is still there. Also if it does keep skipping, I am not a tech but I am 99 percent sure it means you are going to need a new mother board.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalandros View Post
    Could anyone tell me if running WoW at that fps is possible? I'm worried the 'family friend', might have swapped out my processor or video card.
    No. Those computer specs are about 4 years old. It will never run WoW at acceptable speed on monitor bigger than 1280x1024.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Considering I used to use the 6400+, Masterc was right, it IS suboptimal. And MMOs tend to get bogged down by the CPU more than single player games.
    I've had an AMD Athlon64 3500+ (single core) running properly on a 1440*900 resolution on max.
    Aswell as an AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ (dual core) running ~50 FPS on 1650*1050 on max with an X1950 XT.

It is sub-optimal by today's standards, but not when it was new and it is still not a slouch, unless he's playing @ FullHD (which he obviously is not due to saying he has played it at that all the time).
    However looking at his Graphics card, that is far more sub-optimal for gaming, including WoW, the CPU is not the bottleneck in his setup.

---------- Post added 2011-09-20 at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by scoobe View Post
    DDR2 Memory and your processor are holding you back a lot as far as wow goes. Video card, is a bit old also but processor and ram will have a bigger impact.
    No, no it does not, RAM amount has a bigger impact then DDR2 speed.
    You will barely notice the difference in games between 4GB DDR2 and DDR3 if there is any.

RAM speed has little to no effect on gaming in general.