Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

~$600 PC, cpu questions

Planning to build on my own... need everything in the tower. I have most of it planned out, but I am all over the place on cpu/gpu.

So I am kind of between the Phenom x6 1100t black and an intel (i5 2400, i5 2500, i5 2500k) not really planning to overclock because of cooling and budget.

I am pretty set on the xfx 6850 black, or the 6870 depending on price I can squeeze.

I guess my big question is on the CPU's.... How much difference would I see. I am not all about maxing everything but I want it to run BF3 with no hitches and look good, and planning on games like GW2 and such.

Any input or exact parts would be appreciated. I am probably going to buy my stuff at Fry Electronics.

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    if you're on a $600 budget then the i5's are going to be a stretch to fit in there
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    go with the Intel. Far and away going to beat out the 1100t for gaming.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    if you're on a $600 budget then the i5's are going to be a stretch to fit in there
    indeed, but the i3 runs better than every phenom and is a perfect choice for your budget.

If you get the Phenom you listed and an AM3+ MBA you will probably save around $100-150 over a comparable i5+MBA and you have the ability to upgrade to AMD's Bulldozer CPU in the future.

I've tried doing a few $600-700 builds with an i5 and it's really tough without making some huge sacrifices.

15+ Year Old Account
    what kinda games are you planning to play on that? gonna buy myself new one soon and im wondering how much ill have to spend for good fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

i2500K
    Intel P67 mobo
    8GB RAM
    560Ti or 6950 2GB

If you can't afford that, save up some more otherwise you will have a subpar system.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I couldnt hit my budget with the 2500k, but with AMD i could pretty much get the xfx 6870 and come out to about the same price. Thats why i started looking at the
    i5 2400 and such. Im planning a basic cheep case, 500 or less HD, I have a cd/dvd drive, 4gb of ram (maybe 8), wasnt sure about PSU 500-650??... And What do I need to look for in an AMD mobo to be able to upgrade later if I wish?

Thanks for replies so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    That 560 video card is crap. Get a 560 "Ti" version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikiniwax View Post
    That 560 video card is crap. Get a 560 "Ti" version.
    Hey, he has a small budget, gotta cut where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Voorhees83 View Post
    And What do I need to look for in an AMD mobo to be able to upgrade later if I wish?
    If you get the Phenom you listed and an AM3+ MBA
    If it says AM3+ it will be upgradeable. If it only says AM3 you will be stuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    If it says AM3+ it will be upgradeable. If it only says AM3 you will be stuck.
    I wouldn't touch even the AM3+ bulldozers until we see some benchmarks.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    One other thing I am planning to build at the end of this week...

Would I notice a difference between say the i5 2400 vs the 1100t black? i dont digital edit or video edit or any of that stuff, just game. SC2 atm, future BF3, GW2, maybe D3..

Thanks again.

10+ Year Old Account
    As we've said, the intels are far better than the amds currently.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I wasnt sure if that was just talking about the i5 2500k versions because i know that and the 2600k are redic atm.

Side note - I've found personally, that when one is looking for a new gaming rig and only has a few hundred dollars to spend, checking Craigslist for people selling their already-built systems can yield a lot of bang for your buck. Worth a look.

That didn't answer his question. If he can't see a difference between 82 FPS and 90 FPS it doesn't sound like he cares. These people are operating on budgets and want something that will do the job within their cost limitations. With that said, if they can shave $50-100 off a CPU and put it into a GPU they will be better off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    if they can shave $50-100 off a CPU and put it into a GPU they will be better off.
    Yeah, they'll be better off. Today.

CPUs have not been the strongest, limiting factor in gaming for some time.