Keyboard layout screwed

Hey mmo-c,

A couple of days ago my keyboard started acting up. Whenever I try to use a symbol (such as ' or `) they act differently from how they used to.

What it used to do, the way I like it:
    Press symbol once, nothing shows up. Type letter, eg. "e", get è, or type space, get `.

What it does now:
    Press symbol once, get it printed twice: ``. One click, two symbols. This goes for all symbols that behave (or should behave) like mentioned above such as ~, ' and ".

It's not mechanical problem, when I switch layouts it does not behave like this (but not the way I want either; I've been unable to find a layout identical to US-int).

I have not switched layouts (prior to this problem), always used the US-international layout.

Is there any way to "reset" the layout? Download the layout and replace the original? I type a lot, and having to hit backspace on every symbol and being unable to put accents on letters the way I used to is doing my head in.

Google has disappointed me so far. Thanks in advance for any help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd try updating your drivers and firmware first and foremost if you're on any sort of gaming keyboard or whatnot. It's worth a try. I'll see if I can find the keyboards layout file in Win 32 and upload it to mediafire. (Although, I'm sure they have it on the Windows website as well.)

what type of keyboard is it ?

and are you using USB or PS2 connection ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I'd try updating your drivers and firmware first and foremost if you're on any sort of gaming keyboard or whatnot. It's worth a try. I'll see if I can find the keyboards layout file in Win 32 and upload it to mediafire. (Although, I'm sure they have it on the Windows website as well.)
    I'll try that, thanks. I'll see if I can find such files at Microsoft (and actually locate them on my computer..) in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus View Post
    what type of keyboard is it ?

and are you using USB or PS2 connection ?
    It's USB. Could it be the connection or the keyboard itself? Since I can reproduce the desired effect in different layouts and it works fine (except that they are of course not ideal, the closest one to US-int I could find was Dutch, which has @ under the ~ key, etc).

Make sure you dont have a Fn button activated. Happens to me every once in a while

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I havn''t succeeded yet though. Glad I''m not the only one who has encountered this though.

Edit: never mind, not even going to edit it >.<

Deleted
    Hold ctrl + shift together and its fixed.

All ctrl+shift is doing (for me) is switching keyboard languages with your secondary language. I don't have a secondary language;

---------- Post added 2011-09-20 at 09:33 PM ----------

I managed to get it to work fine again! Not being a fan of MS's executable fixes I tried to follow these manual instructions first (a couple of times in fact):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3065...ItMyselfAlways

In my desperation however I gave the executable (the first one on the page) a go, and though it didn't exactly say what it was doing, it apparently updated the layout. After a reboot it's working fine again.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I hope this will help some with the same problem in the future.