Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How much to pay to play wow on ultra?

I am building a new computer , all i want it to do is run wow so i don't lag in raids 25mans , and play it at around ultra or lower , so it looks nice , only other games i plan on playing in future is guild wars 2. How much am i looking at to spend to do this? this is just for the tower.

I paid around 900 with mine (not including windows 7, got it for free, monitor, mouse, keyboard etc) and I get 100+ fps in 25 mans on ultra

Deleted
    Well, if we are talking 25-mans it will be a bit expensive seen as shadows on ultra can basically bring almost any modern CPU to it's knees in such environment(s). But, with shadows excluded (on medium or high) I reckon an i5 2500k with a 4.2-4.5Ghz OC + 4Gb 1333Mhz RAM together with a GTX 460 will do the trick. A fair estimate is around $700-800 depending on what components you want.

---------- Post added 2011-09-20 at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcaster View Post
    I get 100+ fps in 25 mans on ultra
    I call bullshit. 100fps in combat (say, Alysrazor or Beth'tilac) in 25-man with all settings on ultra? Screenshot it and I might believe you.

Deleted
    i only want it so i play the game decently around a steady 40-60 is fine for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rageatheart55 View Post
    I am building a new computer , all i want it to do is run wow so i don't lag in raids 25mans , and play it at around ultra or lower , so it looks nice , only other games i plan on playing in future is guild wars 2. How much am i looking at to spend to do this? this is just for the tower.
    i paid £770 for my pc a year ago and i can run everything on ultra, but i never do, because theres just to much going on when you have it on ultra, i find it distracting while raiding

All but shadows, guess I should have included that.

Deleted
    how much of a difference is their between 10 man and 25 man on the fps scale?

It doesn't take much to play on Ultra. WoW's graphics aren't as demanding on your machine as other games are. Now if we are talking max settings on BF3 then that's a expensive set. I'd say anywhere from $600-800. Intel is way over priced and AMD is perfect. You can't beat AMD's price for what they offer. I used to be a Intel fan but my last build I switched to AMD and I love it. I will NEVER go back to Intel. So my suggestion is to build AMD. You get your moneys worth. Also just in case I get any people bashing me. I went with what was the best price and what they offered for that price. Makes since doesn't it?
    Last edited by Tmoney511; 2011-09-20 at 09:20 PM. Reason: fix

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmoney511 View Post
    It doesn't take much to play on Ultra. WoW's graphics aren't as demanding on your machine as other games are. Now if we are talking max settings on BF3 then that's a expensive set. I'd say anywhere from $600-800. Intel is way over priced and AMD is perfect. You can't beat AMD's price for what they offer. I used to be a Intel fan but my last build I switched to AMD and I love it. I will NEVER go back to Intel. So my suggestion is to build AMD. You get your moneys worth. Also just in case I get any people bashing me. I went with what was the best price and what they offered for that price. Makes since doesn't it?
    So much is wrong with this post, I'm not even sure where to begin.

WoW's graphics aren't demanding, no, but the game itself is a gigantic CPU hog. It will bring any most any CPU to it's knees with full settings in a raid.

AMD doesn't give better price-performance for gaming than Intel currently does. Last generation, sure, but anyone who says "Sandy Bridge sucks, I'm going AMD!" has not done their research on the benefits of Intel's Sandy Bridge platform over AMD's Phenom II.

I'm sorry you won't be going back to Intel, but there is a lot of performance that you're missing out on by being so stubborn. You get far more than your moneys worth with Sandy Bridge at this point.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't take much to play on Ultra. WoW's graphics aren't as demanding on your machine as other games are. Now if we are talking max settings on BF3 then that's a expensive set. I'd say anywhere from $600-800. Intel is way over priced and AMD is perfect. You can't beat AMD's price for what they offer. I used to be a Intel fan but my last build I switched to AMD and I love it. I will NEVER go back to Intel. So my suggestion is to build AMD. You get your moneys worth.
    If you want as high minimum framerate as possible with WoW, you don't go AMD. Bulldozer might change this, but as of now, Phenom II and the like aren't really cutting it in the high end. To add on that WoW is poor on multithreading, not scaling well beyond two cores, yet it still requires as much CPU time it can get (from the amount it can use) when doing any action involving 20+ players.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-09-20 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Well, if we are talking 25-mans it will be a bit expensive seen as shadows on ultra can basically bring almost any modern CPU to it's knees in such environment(s). But, with shadows excluded (on medium or high) I reckon an i5 2500k with a 4.2-4.5Ghz OC + 4Gb 1333Mhz RAM together with a GTX 460 will do the trick. A fair estimate is around $700-800 depending on what components you want.

I call bullshit. 100fps in combat (say, Alysrazor or Beth'tilac) in 25-man with all settings on ultra? Screenshot it and I might believe you.
    lol I sport a q6600 with a 6950 gtz everything on ultra in FL brind me down to 33-40 fps, Orgrimar is worst than raiding srly. In front of garrosh room i get 25-27 fps. Again my CPU bottleneck the thing but, shadows are run on the gpu so no worries to get shadow on ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post

Your estimate seems accurate. A HD5770 could possibly suffice, but I'd go GTX460.

As for your later addition, I bet he plays in 160*100.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    So much is wrong with this post, I'm not even sure where to begin.

WoW's graphics aren't demanding, no, but the game itself is a gigantic CPU hog. It will bring any most any CPU to it's knees with full settings in a raid.

AMD doesn't give better price-performance for gaming than Intel currently does. Last generation, sure, but anyone who says "Sandy Bridge sucks, I'm going AMD!" has not done their research on the benefits of Intel's Sandy Bridge platform over AMD's Phenom II.

I'm sorry you won't be going back to Intel, but there is a lot of performance that you're missing out on by being so stubborn. You get far more than your moneys worth with Sandy Bridge at this point.
    I'm glad im not going back to Intel. My AMD build is just as good as my buddys freshly new Intel build and I spent half the cash he did.

Depends on what you think is 'ultra'.

As an example, on my comp which I bought like 6 months ago, and paid £600ish for, I have everything on ultra/high except shadows, which I keep all the way down (lets face it, shadows make no difference anyways).

If, on the other hand, you want shadows on ultra...yeah, you have fun with that.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Speaking from experience with the HD5770/HD6770 it is perfectly capable of handling ultra at 1920x1080 just keep shadows turned right down. Before my OC and the second card I was sitting steady at 30 to 40FPS in 25's.

If the money permits there is always better cards.

I'm glad im not going back to Intel. My AMD build is just as good as my buddys freshly new Intel build and I spent half the cash he did.
    Then your friend payed for old hardware. You can make a better gaming-PC out of a H61/core-i3-2100 than a AMD760/PhenomII 955BE.
    The AMD would be better for some other things, but not in gaming.
    Trust me, I want AMD to take back the performance-throne, or even the performance-for-money.. But that isn't happening anytime soon. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    If you want as high minimum framerate as possible with WoW, you don't go AMD. Bulldozer might change this, but as of now, Phenom II and the like aren't really cutting it in the high end. To add on that WoW is poor on multithreading, not scaling well beyond two cores, yet it still requires as much CPU time it can get (from the amount it can use) when doing any action involving 20+ players.
    I never have any issues at all. My FPS never drops below 40 even in SW when there's countless players everywhere. I did two months of research before I built but I build awhile ago. For him I would just wait and see how AMD's new stuff is. It can't hurt.

---------- Post added 2011-09-20 at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Then your friend payed for old hardware. You can make a better gaming-PC out of a H61/core-i3-2100 than a AMD760/PhenomII 955BE.
    The AMD would be better for some other things, but not in gaming.
    Trust me, I want AMD to take back the performance-throne, or even the performance-for-money.. But that isn't happening anytime soon. Sadly.
    No not really. All he brags about is how he has a $1000 cpu and its REALLY annoying. Every game that I've played since building this comp has been at max settings with no issues. I built almost a year ago.

Deleted
    I never have any issues at all. My FPS never drops below 40 even in SW when there's countless players everywhere. I did two months of research before I built but I build awhile ago. For him I would just wait and see how AMD's new stuff is. It can't hurt.

---------- Post added 2011-09-20 at 09:43 PM ----------

No not really. All he brags about is how he has a $1000 cpu and its REALLY annoying. Every game that I've played since building this comp has been at max settings with no issues. I built almost a year ago.
    You can't prove anything without numbers my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    shadows are run on the gpu so no worries to get shadow on ultra.
    Nei. CPU matters a lot for shadows (In wow that is). Don't believe me? Try it out in orgrimmar. Lower it and go meet Garrosh again.

Edit. screw garrosh, too few shadows, try auction house.