Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Won that contest thing to get my guild into the Cata beta some months back, guess my luck ran out! (for this round of invites anyways)
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farolok View Post
    Gah, thought I might aswell make a sig as suggested a few pages back.
    I'd change it before spambot does, the filesize is too big.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    And this is exactly why there should be an open beta. Someone please explain to me how a PTR is different from a open beta, and please don't tell me it's because of a subscription fee, I can't even begin to tell you how many people would pay blizzard 15ish dollars for a beta invite.
    Maybe it has something to do with supporting a server with X amount of million Beta testers than sifting through the constructive criticism versus the bullshit OR they enlist a smaller, more manageable group of testers.

That's my only guess to be honest
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Lucky me got a friend working at blizz , waiting for him to put me in the system so i can get mah key !!!

Deleted
    Excellent timing in launching this long waited beta, so people can now start whining cause they don't get invited and stop arguing about Firelands nerf.
    Seriously, I hope to receive an invite, but if I don't, who cares, I just want Diablo III to come out!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

short reaction

i will pass on the long version ^^

AHHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave131 View Post
    Okay I have a totally newb question, please don't tease me too much for asking

What do you suppose the % of applicants who actually get to play the game is gonna be? DO they take things like how long a Battlenet account has been active, how much playtime is on it, or how many other Blizz games you've played or is it purely random?
    Totally random, but trying to spread out across several computer specs.
    Example: Let's say they have 1000 invites to give out. They might give 100 invites to people with very low specs, 100 to people with very high specs, 100 to macs and the other 700 to random people.

This is obviously over simplified, they might target certain specs or spread things out differently. The point of the beta is to make sure that the game works across a multitude of computer specs, see how the game behaves with a larger community, etc.
    The only special cases are if you are a reviewer/press.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really sure people comprehend how much it costs to run online gaming servers. The cost to run WoW servers each day is $136,986. That's approximately 4.1 Million per month JUST TO KEEP THE SERVERS RUNNING. Beta servers aren't free, they cost just as much as regular servers do. That's why beta tests are so small. I know everyone likes to point to companies not having open betas because they don't want people to dislike the game and not play, but let's take off our tin foil hats for a second and look at the reality.

I can't even begin to tell you how many people would pay blizzard 15ish dollars for a beta invite.
    The beta is an unfinished game, while many people would gladly pay money and a subscription for an open beta, they'd have to offer the service to everyone if it was for sale. Most people wouldn't pay money for an incomplete game, and would complain, and Blizzard would likely end up losing more money in the deal.

Seriously, if you don't understand the REAL reasons why betas are conducted the way they are, please don't make up tin foil hat theories or say why a company should appease you.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2011-09-20 at 10:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    I'm not really sure people comprehend how much it costs to run online gaming servers. The cost to run WoW servers each day is $136,986. That's approximately 4.1 Million per month JUST TO KEEP THE SERVERS RUNNING. Beta servers aren't free, they cost just as much as regular servers do. That's why beta tests are so small. I know everyone likes to point to companies not having open betas because they don't want people to dislike the game and not play, but let's take off our tin foil hats for a second and look at the reality.
    absolutely wrong...servers are a LOT cheaper as you think...

Time to suck up to everyone I know that plays Blizzard games in the hopes that one of them gets a beta invite and will let me play for a few hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDaSpike View Post
    Totally random, but trying to spread out across several computer specs.
    Example: Let's say they have 1000 invites to give out. They might give 100 invites to people with very low specs, 100 to people with very high specs, 100 to macs and the other 700 to random people.

This is obviously over simplified, they might target certain specs or spread things out differently. The point of the beta is to make sure that the game works across a multitude of computer specs, see how the game behaves with a larger community, etc.
    The only special cases are if you are a reviewer/press.
    Awesome, that makes perfect sense and thank you

Using my GF's puter which is VERY high specs on a Mac. **CROSSES FINGERS**
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by lolo855 View Post
    Lucky me got a friend working at blizz , waiting for him to put me in the system so i can get mah key !!!
    YOU SON OF A... congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycrus View Post

Uhm...yeah they can get pretty expensive...add in everything to keep a data center running (cooling,replacements, power, manpower, etc).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycrus View Post
    You sound like you're speaking from what you think is experience. Running a 100 person private server is a lot different from running a massive data center with millions of accesses every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will take solace in knowing that I have the rarest minipet in the game. so meh

Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    Why do all assume that they send out all invites instantly and no more later at all. Its like some seem to think that if they dont have it now they wont even get it...
    It's not what I beliave and its not how it was in SC2 Beta either.
    well its easy to send mass emails these days and people just assume thats what they're doing, one giant mass invite.

Well every blizzard game ever made bought, every game possible on my bnet account including 2 wow and 3 sc2, absolute top of the line pc.

y no has beta????

---------- Post added 2011-09-20 at 10:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    I know, HOW DARE A COMPANY TRY TO MAKE MONEY! SHAME ON THEM FOR WANTING TO SUCCEED! And afaik you can only get to level 13 in the beta, and act 1 only. So it's not even 1/4 of the game.

anyways, no beta key yet. The only beta I ever got from blizz was sc2, and it was a week before release, and I couldn't even play it because I was on vacation and only had a laptop.
    It's more like 5 percent of the game maybe, 1/3 to 1/2 of one act, of a 4 act game with 4 difficulty levels, and being the easiest to breeze through.

QQ, no invite for me. Hopefully more invite waves will happen over the next few months

I have been in the Friend and Family beta forever now, but dont worry all who didnt get a key, although I will tell you that D3 is pretty fantastic, the beta itself is very disappointing with lack of content, sure if you are a nerd like me there is about 20+ hours of gameplay, (Playing through the act which is really short with every class, and refarming for crafting shiz.) but alas, no real story is given out other then you are looking for a fallen star. Really though, the game play is pretty darn good, but honestly,you arnt missing much

Greedy Grelsha wants more Beta!! So far I've had SC:II and Cata! D3 would be awesome but I know just how lucky I've been! Best of luck to everyone! At least BF3 Closed/Open Beta / Live is coming soon! Woop!
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Suffer the Consequences View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.