Deleted

Disc Mana Problems

Hey all, recently I dinged my Disc Priest alt to 85 and have been having a little mana trouble. I find despite always using PW:S for rupture I just don't gain enough. I use Inner Focus off CD, Heal most of the time and Shadowfiend/Hymn of Hope off CD. Usually It wouldn't bother me too much as I'm not losing mana that fast however I also levelled a Resto Shaman who seems to be doing so much better with Mana than my priest, any ideas?

I cannot link armory's for both, however names are:

Servona - Draenei Priest - EU- Azjol-Nerub

Widgets - Dwarf Shaman - EU- Azjol-Nerub

Deleted
    Disc priests are much more gear dependant than resto shamans. It will get better as you get better gear don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Disc priests are much more gear dependant than resto shamans. It will get better as you get better gear don't worry about it.
    Pretty much this, gear is a huge part of your mana regen, the more int you have the better, spirit plays an important role at the lower levels so stack as much spirit as you can until you can get some raid/pvp gear, not sure what your main focus would be with this toon

I used to use an addon Ingela's Rapture to track the CD. While it won't immediately help you conserve mana, it'll help in knowing when to put up a new shield on someone you know will take damage in the coming seconds, making the time between Rapture procs minimal.

Keep rapture on cooldown but don't bubble spam especially at lower gear levels.
    Macro Inner Focus into Greater Heal, Binding Heal, and Prayer of Healing.
    Greater Heal/Penance are your mainstays.
    Consider speccing into Arch Angel/Atonement; the mana return is significant and Atonement is enough for trash/plenty of boss phases.
    As discipline most of your mana regeneration is intellect based as oppose to spirit.

Deleted
    Thanks all, good to know it's not my fault, I did previously try an atonement build, I just didn't like it all that much however I might give it another shot, thanks for the advice!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    When you get raid geared, you'll never run oom, unlike shammies

---------- Post added 2011-09-21 at 08:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JongyFong View Post
    Consider speccing into Arch Angel/Atonement; the mana return is significant
    No, really. Atonement mana return: 5% maxmana. The cost to activate this: 5 smites or holy fires at least. These cost WAY, WAY more than 5% maxmana. The break even point is somewhere at 300K maxmana.
    If you can properly utilize the +15% healing bonus, it MAY yield better heal per mana than traditional healing.
    I don't recommend Atonement for fixing mana problems, because it won't fix that.

HF on CD, no smite

If you decide to try an atonement build again try using Holy Fire on cool down. Doing this provides multiple benefits. It is a very cheap spell, heals for a respectable amount, and it stacks Evangelism efficiently, but slowly. Keeping your Evange stacks lowers the cost of your already efficient Penance and provides you with a throughput cooldown (Arch Angel) in a pinch.

Another way to approach this is to cast HF on cooldown, once every 10 seconds, and then pop your AA for mana return as often as possible. This can be done once every 30 seconds minimum for 3% mana and 15 seconds of +9% throughput or once every 50 seconds with 5% mana and 15 seconds of 15% percent throughput. Which one you choose will largely depend on personal preference, but both put an interesting spin on AA Disc. Just remember not to spam Smite unless you have the mana to back it up.

Deleted
    holy fire and smite cant be compared to heal in terms of throughput.

cast time differences for a start.

the actual heal number. on a graced target my "heal" crit-heals for about 24k, holy fire crit-heals for 39k and smite is approx 29k. these are much higher numbers. admittedly there is a -10% crit defecit for not being applicable for renewed hope. but with a lock (et al) being able to provide the 5%crit buff on a target, it narrows the margin alot.

i know my gearing is high (ilvl 383 equipped) but i cant do a za/zg with jsut using "heal" alone, whereas i can with jsut using smite/holy fire.

as others already said, discipline is far more gear dependent than any other healers. if you find it too annoying, try holy for 5 mans.

now for your discipline priest:
    1. very low spirit, 1,3k spirit and at low gear levels spirit is important for discipline priests. you might want to reforge spirit-less items (mantles, back, haste-trinket, ring, belt) to spirit.
    notice, that shaman, to which you compare, has like 500 spirit more than your priest.

2. only 1 glyph. while disc glyphs dont necessary decrease your mana usage, they increase output of your spells (poh, pom), which might end up with using less spells to keep group healed up = using less mana.
    your shaman with 4 glyphs seems to be getting much more love, which is meh, priests are so much more fun

3. no veiled shadows (1st row in shadow tree). this is a mana-helping talent and its a really good talent for early gear stages.