Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading Motherboard, Power supply, and video card. Halp.

Hey all,

I'm currently pricing options for a new motherboard, GPU and power supply. The problem is, I keep seeing differences such as ATX12V v2.3, ATX12V v2.2, and ATX12V v2.31. Are the v2.x numbers version numbers for firmware or what? lol. I've never installed a chipset onto a mobo and I'm clueless when it comes to bios settings for processors or what the installation entails as far as power supply goes.

I can only tell you what I would be upgrading to at this point. Current system is a pre-built ASUS CG 1330-05 with a Phenom II x6 1035T Black Edition.

What I'm looking to upgrade to, keeping the same processor, HDD, drives, etc.:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    GPU: SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    PSU: ???

So after reading up on a few things (more or less AM3+ backwards compatibility as well as Bulldozer socket reqs), I decided to just go with a PSU and GPU upgrade. The only thing I really need now is a good PSU for a relatively small amount of money. Oh, and a summarization of what those PSU numbers mean at the top would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Did some more research and stumbled upon the GPU's PSU requirements: 550 Watt or greater power supply with one 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connector and one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended.

Do a majority of PSU's come with 150w 8-pin and 75w 6-pin connectors? lol.. again, I'm absolutely clueless.
    Last edited by Epiphanes; 2011-09-20 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Epiphanes View Post
    I'm currently pricing options for a new motherboard, GPU and power supply.
    Any particular reason why you were looking at motherboard change too?

The problem is, I keep seeing differences such as ATX12V v2.3, ATX12V v2.2, and ATX12V v2.31. Are the v2.x numbers version numbers for firmware or what?

Do a majority of PSU's come with 150w 8-pin and 75w 6-pin connectors? lol.. again, I'm absolutely clueless.
    Those version numbers refers to ATX power supply standard...
    -ATX 2.1 added 6-pin 75W connector
    -ATX 2.2 added 8-pin 150W connector
    -ATX 2.3 makes 80% efficiency official recommendation (80plus) for energy saving reasons

Basically you need at least 2.2 PSU to power a card that needs 6+8 pin extra power cables. Take a peek inside the case, your current PSU might already have those (the 6-pin cable could be plugged into your current graphics card).
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking at upgrading the mobo due to wanting to have the room to upgrade the processor if I saw a need in the future. Since Bulldozer will be running on AM3+ (my current being AM3), it made sense. However, I nixed the mobo upgrade and will more than likely just get a bundled AMD CPU+mobo at a later date.

Thanks a lot for the clarification on PSU's. My current PSU is only 300w, so it definitely needs to be upgraded. The trouble I'm having now is with 6+2 pins.. Now what does that mean exactly? Is that backwards compatible as well or should I check my current mobo (can't find anything on it cept socket and expansion slots)?

Edit: The 6970 I'm getting needs only one 6 pin.. not a 6+2 is why I'm asking.
    Edit2: So after some MORE research, I saw that 6+2 connectors can be used as either 8 pin or 6 pin; you just have to offset the extra 2 pins if using them in a 6 pin connection. Got it.. Now the question would be.. why do I need a 150w 8 pin connector AND a 75w 6 pin for that particular GPU?
    Last edited by Epiphanes; 2011-09-20 at 11:43 PM.

I was looking at upgrading the mobo due to wanting to have the room to upgrade the processor if I saw a need in the future. Since Bulldozer will be running on AM3+ (my current being AM3), it made sense.
    Bad idea. AMD has already announced they will scrap AM3+ boards really soon, with the next batch of Bulldozers (probably in second half of next year) meaning you can not upgrade it further than the first CPUs they release this year. If you want any longevity, you should switch to Intel side if you upgrade before next board after AM3+ is available. Also because i5-2500K runs laps around the x6 1035 processor.

The trouble I'm having now is with 6+2 pins.. Now what does that mean exactly? Is that backwards compatible as well or should I check my current mobo (can't find anything on it cept socket and expansion slots)?
    6+2 pins means exactly this... You can plug it into either 6 or 8 pin connector. Some PSUs have two of these, so you can plug the cables freely into cards that require one or two 6 or 8 pin power cables.

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, just gave me another reason to just wait for a bundle when I see something I want/like or that's necessary. Until then, I'm going with the following:

SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

Thanks for the help, man. I appreciate it.

SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
    Should be good. You can even drop the PSU to 600W model to save some money unless you're planning to run two cards in Crossfire pair.
    Trolling should be.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I figured I'd go with a higher watt PSU for some maneuverability if and when I upgrade the mobo/cpu for CrossFire, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If you want any longevity, you should switch to Intel side
    Intel is like that creepy dude down at your locale bar it will on anything that moves and profess his love but then move onto (switch socket types) the girl that just walked in(just about every cpu gen).

Intel is getting better for sure but still...
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    Intel is getting better for sure but still...
    It's very simple:

AMD has announced they will scrap AM3+ and make whole new socket for the next generation of Bulldozers, on the other hand Intel has announced socket1155 and current motherboards will work with the next generation Ivy Bridges. Therefore getting AM3+ board is bad idea for upgradeability.
    Trolling should be.