Paladin Inquisition Idea.

So this is my idea of how to "fix" Ret "rotation" with all the congestion, and make Inquisition more of a passive ability.

Inquisition -
    Whenever an offensive ability that consumes Holy Power is used, increases your holy damage by 10%. Lasts 2 seconds per charge of Holy Power.

Basically, this turns it into a passive that will allow us to keep it up without having to click that stupid button. All specs will be able to utilize it more, and will help prot's damage a bit, maybe even allowing them to revert the Censure damage down, and increasing the Ret's talent that increases Censure's damage. But, this means that the talent would need to be altered slightly.

Inquiry of Faith -
    Increases the periodic damage done by your Seal of Truth by 30%, and the damage and duration of your Inquisition by 300%.

This keeps Inquisition current with Ret, keeping it from falling off if switching between adds, and also keeping 10% for holy/prot so it is not a BIG Damage increase, and Ret would maintain it's 30% damage increase.

Because I am playing with stuff, let's look at another idea of mine. AOE Holy Power + "Finisher"

Zealotry -
    Your abilities that generate holy power now generates 3 holy power instead of 1 for the next 20 seconds. Requires 3 Holy Power to use, but does not consume Holy Power.

This would basically make Zealotry more "useful" in aoe Pulls. for what?

Holy Wrath -
    (I am not good at doing percents of damage, but essentially now consumes holy power to do more damage scaling from AP and SP like it already does).

This gives Prot/Ret more aoe options. This could have a CD as it already does, however, so it isn't spammed. Just buffed.

What do you think? enough positive responses, I will post on the Wow Suggestion forums!

Make it when our holy power become 3 it automatically works without consuming Holy power....
    )

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not hard to keep up, is forgiving if you refresh a bit early or let it fade briefly, and adds some depth outside of proc whack-a-mole.
    I like it as is. Plus, your concept would be a pretty large damage loss.

Zealotry should work for Divine Storm, but would still be terrible for AoE, since there's no AoE holy power dump. Our AoE is pretty strong as is, at least for melee, though I'd like it if they'd take seals off the GCD like they did aspects.
    Last edited by Pliers; 2011-09-21 at 06:11 AM.

The freaking ability is broken don't give excuses for the damn thing....

I just thought it would be more fun to be reactive. you know they will completely change us next xpac anyways.

I am thinking we will have 2 resources in the xpac! Mana and Light Points! Light Points work just like Rage, except is a white resource bar instead of red!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vikai View Post
    So this is my idea of how to "fix" Ret "rotation" with all the congestion, and make Inquisition more of a passive ability.

Inquisition -
    Whenever an offensive ability that consumes Holy Power is used, increases your holy damage by 10%. Lasts 2 seconds per charge of Holy Power.

Basically, this turns it into a passive that will allow us to keep it up without having to click that stupid button. All specs will be able to utilize it more, and will help prot's damage a bit, maybe even allowing them to revert the Censure damage down, and increasing the Ret's talent that increases Censure's damage. But, this means that the talent would need to be altered slightly.

Inquiry of Faith -
    Increases the periodic damage done by your Seal of Truth by 30%, and the damage and duration of your Inquisition by 300%.

This keeps Inquisition current with Ret, keeping it from falling off if switching between adds, and also keeping 10% for holy/prot so it is not a BIG Damage increase, and Ret would maintain it's 30% damage increase.

Because I am playing with stuff, let's look at another idea of mine. AOE Holy Power + "Finisher"

Zealotry -
    Your abilities that generate holy power now generates 3 holy power instead of 1 for the next 20 seconds. Requires 3 Holy Power to use, but does not consume Holy Power.

Holy Wrath -
    (I am not good at doing percents of damage, but essentially now consumes holy power to do more damage scaling from AP and SP like it already does).

This gives Prot/Ret more aoe options. This could have a CD as it already does, however, so it isn't spammed. Just buffed.

What do you think? enough positive responses, I will post on the Wow Suggestion forums!
    I personally don't have a problem with inquisition, but if it were to be changed I wouldn't like that idea. I really like your suggested Zealotry and Holy Wrath changes though, bravo sir, bravo.

Now might you put that brain of yours to come up with an idea for consecration? =] It went from being the defining ability of prot paladins in TBC to a horrible mana dump that takes 2/3 of your bar for a pathetic amount of damage. My first idea would be to, instead of being a damage ability, to consecrate the ground giving those that stand in it a buff of some sort - but this doesn't fit in with blizzard's design philosophy, sadly(homogenization, bring the player not the class and such). Perhaps if it was a defensive ability, like divine barrier or anti-magic zone, but im not much of a fan of those ideas. Rather I'd like it to be an actually useful aoe ability that does significant damage and doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of mana, just remove mana as a factor for prot/ret or do a better job at balancing us around it then here's a crappy ability that takes 2/3 of your mana that will only add like 20k damage over an entire fight.

I mean, even making consecrate a good aoe ability and not a mana dump and giving us something like holy strike(heroic strike) as a mana dump would be a better design.

They also need to balance the relationship between crusader strike, judgment, exo, hammer, and TV. Tone down our cds but make them more usable in pvp. Wings getting spell stealed/dispelled and getting kited through TV=no good. Judgment needs to do more damage, hammer of wrath needs to do less. I'd also like it if judgment generated holy power and it's cd was lowered, along with it's mana give, while crusader strike's cd goes up, we could let haste effect both, as well.

As for wings, I'd like it if they were a uncategorized buff like seals that cannot be dispelled, if it was just a 20% increase in damage and healing, that would be one thing, but the damage bonus and being able to use hammer of wrath no matter what health % the target is at is just too important to be so easily removed, just like seals.

I'm not sure what to do with zealotry, and i think divine purpose or w/e it's called(15% at a free 3HP ability) need to be looked at as well, alone i have no problem with it, but along with exo procs it's kind of ridiculous, I'd also like if we used our holy power first if there's 3 before using the proc, or some kind of icd on divine purpose. It's annoying not being able to generate hp with cs because procs are preventing me from spending the capped holy power i already have.

thanks for the compliment.

Consecration has two issues : Mana Vs Damage output, and I hate the staticness on the ground. What if it were something like this instead :

Consecration -

Reduce the mana cost to 9368 (same percent as Holy Radiance)

I won't touch Damage/CD as I am not good enough to toy with that.

But my idea is to make it a damage variation of Holy Radiance, where it would deal its damage to all targets within 10 yards of the paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuren View Post
    The freaking ability is broken don't give excuses for the damn thing....
    What exactly about it is broken? That you have a buff to maintain? If so, the horror.

As for the OP's idea. I would rather not have another passive buff that automatically works. To me that takes some of the fun out of it if everything is basically passive aside from hitting a move on 3 HP. This is why many complained about Hand of Light because it's passive and does a decent chunk of our damage. At the rate you are going let's make melee white hits our biggest damage move.

But my idea is to make it a damage variation of Holy Radiance, where it would deal its damage to all targets within 10 yards of the paladin.
    We have a move that is like that, called Holy Wrath. We don't need another clone of it. Something different entirely might be good, but not too much of the same.

It was more saying that Consecration would be "tethered" to the paladin. But something different would be nice it is just hard to think of something that would allow that to happen, as you have pointed out we do have a bursting AOE caleld Holy Wrath, as well as HotR being able to do it.

making inquisition into a passive was just an idea to alleviate, but I can see why some might not prefer, as you can tell a good paladin vs a bad one by his use of inquisition (I have seen many that fail to keep it up, and wonder about their damage). Simplifying would make it trivial. As it stands, consecration is just a filler ability.

What if enemies that walked on our consecrated ground got a dot debuff on them? Perhaps it could be like an AOE Seal of Truth allowing us to have it on multiple mobs, and removing the overal damage component? It seems a little bit too blarg though. I guess I will leave this to the professionals

I'd actually prefer it if consecration worked off of holy power. Possibly increase the damage and keep it with a long CD or lower the damage a bit but also take the CD away. With each point of HP increasing the duration and amount of damage done. So like 1 HP and it lasts 3-sec, does 30 damage, 2 HP lasts 6-sec does 60 damage, 3 HP lasts 9-Sec and does 90 damage.

Suddenly it makes things like Zealotry a lot more interesting and more usable in AoE situations as well as it then throws out questions like which is going to be better, hitting someone with TV/CS over and over or just CS and Concecrate to stack up DoTs on a boss?

Anyway, love the Inquisition idea. Ret paladins in particular just have to deal with way too many CDs. Many of them should be baked down and made into interesting abilities that trigger passively. This is a great way to do so for Inquisition, although I'd probably have it be triggered by judgements as well as CS/DS so we can maintain it during air phases and such.

Holy Wrath -
    Bad idea. Holy Wrath has always been an on-demand utility. Having to jump through a hoop to use it is a poor idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    A neat aoe fix would be to make consecration the aoe finisher. It's SO useless otherwise.

These changes are nice, but it just puts us next to assassination in terms of autopilot dps. Inquisition is a nice ability to actively control.

10+ Year Old Account

Inquisition -

Inquiry of Faith -

Zealotry -

Holy Wrath -

Interesting. I'd recommend posting in this thread, though. That's what it was made for.

Closing.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!