Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Favorite Supporting Characters in Video Games

We've had discussions and debates on which hero is the coolest, and which epic villain would take over the world, but what about those characters who make video games feel like living, breathing worlds? List your favorite supporting characters and why you love them.

Landon Ricketts, Red Dead Redemption- One of the coolest characters ever. For those who don't remember, he was the retired gunslinger living in Mexico who teaches John Marston of the finer points of killing banditos. He felt like a more rugged Gandolf, old, powerful, peaceful, & wise.

Midna, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- For a character with no voice acting, Midna felt so real. She was cute, funny, powerful, and you were never to sure of her motives. Better in every way than Na'vi in Ocirana.

Legion, Mass Effect 2- I thought this character was so amazing, I made him my avatar. He is so logical and methodical, and let's be honest, he's a robot sniper, +10 cool points. I thought the conflict between him and Tali was interesting and can't wait to see how it works out in ME3. Not to mention his idle animation is 'The Robot'....
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Max Payne, he's a badass.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cortana. Halo 3 saving her just wrapped it all up.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

KH1: Donald and Goofy. Fuck me I felt heartbroken when they followed the keyblade. I realized at that moment that they were amazing supporting characters.

Lucy in Assassin's Creed series. The final scene in ACBH almost made me vomit. Thanks for having me become attached to a character and then stab me in the fucking heart with a hot iron.

BUT NOTHING COMPARES TO:

Jack in ME2. I never formed a relationship in ME1 except trying to bang Ashley. In ME2 though I decided to follow my natural feelings and play it out like I would do it for real. At first I was like "oh Yvon... I mean, Miranda... so hot" then I found Jack. And oddly enough I started using her in my party. As time progressed, you uncover a lot about her through talking. Turns out she isn't as gangster as her exterior puts off. She is actually a super beautiful character that had a fucked up life so she hides behind a wall of being a dick. It was a wondrous moment when she tried to push sex on me and I denied her, telling her it wasn't about that. Bioware captured authentic human behavior in her facial features so perfectly that I felt it in real life. That was one of the coolest moments in a video game ever for me. To actually feel a real emotion towards something in a game. /blown away

Avery Junior Johnson!
    Johnson is made of awesome!

-Bowser. He never gives up. He's just lookin' for love. Villain? Maybe...
    -Moogles and Chocobos, in the FF games. They're cute and awesome.
    -Chao(s) in the Sonic games. Especially the ones in the Dreamcast version...That was an entire game in itself with a pseudo-tamagachi (my sister just hooked up the Dreamcast and replayed it - she's smart)!

-In WoW, I'd have to give credit to all the small factions and races. They make WoW so much cooler, like when they're fighting each other, or when I have to pick a side for dailies or something.

Victor "GODDAMN!" Sullivan (Uncharted series)
    Damon S. Baird (Gears of War series)
    Wheatly!! (Portal 2)

Paper Mario 2:
    -Vivian. There's lots of odd plot twists surrounding her (him? in Japan), plus she's pretty overpowered.
    -Doopliss. You beat him by spelling his name, only you can't spell it at first because he removes the lowercase "p" from the typing screen.
    He also steals all your party members, and you have to go on an epic quest to get them back.

Fire Emblem PoR/RD:
    -Soren, mostly for plot reasons that I don't want to spoil since RD is on a current gen console.

Phoenix Wright series:
    -Edgeworth, Franziska... pretty much all the supporting Lawyer characters here. This series thrives on these characters, so it's expected that they're good.

Amnesia the Dark Descent:
    -Agrippa. Saving him is so satisfying.
    Last edited by Barrowmore; 2011-09-21 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    Fire Emblem PoR/RD:
    -Soren, mostly for plot reasons that I don't want to spoil since RD is on a current gen console.
    Agreed, Soren is one of my favorite characters, I didn't put her on my list because I really did not like RD that much. I felt like they could have added so much more to that game, instead of just copy/pasting everything gameplay wise from GC > Wii
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    -Bowser. He never gives up. He's just lookin' for love. Villain? Maybe...
    -Moogles and Chocobos, in the FF games. They're cute and awesome.
    -Chao(s) in the Sonic games. Especially the ones in the Dreamcast version...That was an entire game in itself with a pseudo-tamagachi (my sister just hooked up the Dreamcast and replayed it - she's smart)!

-In WoW, I'd have to give credit to all the small factions and races. They make WoW so much cooler, like when they're fighting each other, or when I have to pick a side for dailies or something.
    Bowser was an ally in Super Mario RPG. So yeah, count him there. And moogles?

KUPO!!

Morte. If explanations are needed then I am disappoint.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Tails, from the original sonic games...before they had annoying voices. Being able to fly in an anatomically impossible way is always helpful.

Alistair from DA:O: I loved him, his personality, he was just too damn loveable, like a little puppy.

Midna: Really, everything you said, she wasn't annoying like Navi and actually had a likeable personality.

Lady Bow from Paper Mario: I just like the fact you get a girl Boo as a partner, you don't see them ever in Mario games.

Meta Knight: He's just.. awesome, yes he's a boss too -- but there's a mode in the Super Star DS port that allows you to play as him, and damn it's fun, you just feel super awesome playing through those levels tearing everything in your way a new ass, plus he's playable again in Return to Dreamland. Can't. Wait.

Luigi: I always liked Luigi better than Mario, he's sort of the *me* of the video game world, my sister was always more popular than I was, and I'm a HUGE scaredy cat like Luigi is.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2011-09-21 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    DO A BARREL ROLL! DO A BARREL ROLL! DO A BARRELL ROLL! etc.

Honestly, the entire supporting cast of Lylat Wars deserves that honor. From the cute uselessness of the frog, to the DO A BARREL ROLL of Mr. Pepper and lastly the sheer condescencion of the falcon-dude. I LOVE THEM ALL!

I also have a soft spot for Sabin Renèe Figaro from Final Fantasy 6. *MAYBE* because of the quote "You thought a minor nuisance like the end of the world was gonna do me in?".
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Hector, fire emblem

10+ Year Old Account
    Flint from Mother 3. Not sure if he would technically be considered a supporting character since some parts of the game he is the main character.

Laverne and Hoagie from Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

Vivi from Final Fantasy 9

Thugg from Lost Eden

Avalon from LittleBig Planet 2

Geno from Super Mario RPG

Clank from Ratchet and Clank

Jeff from EarthBound

Cid from Final Fantasy 4

the little uzi wielding monkey from Metal Slug 3(he has a name but I forget what it is; see avatar)

Magnus Von Moon from Shadow Madness

Otacon from Metal Gear Solid

Daxter from Jak and Daxter

Cait Sith from Final Fantasy 7

Paco "El Puño" Estrella from Anachronox

Mike Haggar from Final Fight

Bonuskun from WakuWaku 7

Nigel West Dickens from Red Dead Redemption
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2011-09-22 at 12:54 AM.

Gotta agree with you on Legion. I wish that I had come along earlier in the game so I could see a bit more of him. I really thought that he was very interesting.

Somebody also said Jack, and I agree with that as well. She was the only female character (aside from Tali) that really appealed to me. I find most females in games to be bland and not very complex, but she had a really good story behind her. Made her seem like an actual human rather than a sexual object that so many female characters are.

Also, I love me some Garrus. =) He's just cool all-around.

I really like most of the supporting characters in Mass Effect. They all have distinct traits that I like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wait!

The dog in Secret of Evermore. he was nearly useless until the end, where you had to have his attack powered up pretty high to kill one of the bosses.

Jolee Bindo - Kotor, good humored gray jedi

Garrus - ME, Legion is cool but I don't really care for robot dialogue. Garrus was cool and had some good skills