Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is Diablo 1 & 2 still worth buying?

Afternoon,

I will no doubt get a right mocking for saying this but... I have never played Diablo 1 or 2 (was a Baldur's Gate fan at the time). With all the recent hype about D3 its got me intrested, would you say its worth buying D1 & 2? has it got a decent story? the engine aged well?

I gave a game called "Titan Quest" a go and got bored pretty fast with the repetitive gameplay, can i expect the same to happen in the Diablo Series? (gameplay looks similar)

Thanks for your time,

Toccs.

Strictly a matter of opinion, but I can't stand playing them on current hardware, they haven't aged well imo. No widescreen mode and fairly low max resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Strictly a matter of opinion, but I can't stand playing them on current hardware, they haven't aged well imo. No widescreen mode and fairly low max resolution.
    You can always tweak a resolution.

Other than that, yeah they haven't aged well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Worth getting on the basis of knowing the story do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the story on wikipedia, they really don't worth it nowadays.

Great games for sure, but have not aged well at all. Diablo 2 really the trading and playing with friends made it fun (also some of the funny bugs). Because most people do not play diablo 2 anymore i don't think its worth it nowdays.

Deleted
    diablo 2 is worth it i think, i still play it, its still the best action rpg you can get atm. its still pretty alive for coop etc.

you can read up on lore without buying the game. if you have extra cash lying around though since it's cheap you MIGHT want to play D2. Get a decent idea of what the game is all about. it's a big gear grind and alot more fun with friends. if you play by yourself, i could see you getting bored.

Edit: as stated above and i agree...play with friends and you can have a blast. play by yourself and you could get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by chaostorch View Post
    you can read up on lore without buying the game. if you have extra cash lying around though since it's cheap you MIGHT want to play D2. Get a decent idea of what the game is all about. it's a big gear grind and alot more fun with friends. if you play by yourself, i could see you getting bored.

Edit: as stated above and i agree...play with friends and you can have a blast. play by yourself and you could get bored.
    Thats a real shame, see i still play Baldur's Gate was hoping D1 & 2 had gone the same route, since D2 is cheap i think ill give it a crack.

Thanks for the comments.

Toccs

Deleted
    I have had some real issues running Diablo 2 on Win7 with my graphics card, when I finally got it to run, I had very bad colour issues - googled and a lot of people have problems, there were some fixes that worked for some people but none worked for me unfortunately. My husband still plays diablo 2 (on vista) and his runs fine. He really enjoys it and has had a lot of playtime out of it so if it runs okay on your pc, it's cheap enough so it might be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I have had some real issues running Diablo 2 on Win7 with my graphics card, when I finally got it to run, I had very bad colour issues - googled and a lot of people have problems, there were some fixes that worked for some people but none worked for me unfortunately. My husband still plays diablo 2 (on vista) and his runs fine. He really enjoys it and has had a lot of playtime out of it so if it runs okay on your pc, it's cheap enough so it might be worth it
    On that note i think ill do a checkup to see if anyone with my hardware is having the same problems.

Thanks for that mate.

Toccs

I probably wouldn't bother. As someone said, unless you have nostalgia for games of that nature it probably isn't worth it. Looks horrible, doesn't run on many machines, plays like many other games now, animations are pretty bad, etc.

Most people have rose-colored glasses now, or have been playing for years. They're awesome games, but let's face it...they were a lot more awesome in 1999.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can, play with someone who has an idea of how to play the game. It's not too complex but it helps to know what stuff is worth to make sure you aren't getting ripped off, etc.
    Forever the proponent of special snowflakes everywhere.

I'm inclined to say Diablo 1 is probably worth it. It won't be pretty to look at, and will be a pain to install, but you can get it really cheap. If you can get into it, it's a really creepy and sometimes genuinely scary game. Death had real consequences, so taking that next step was a serious decision.

However, that may really just be the nostalgia talking. I haven't played it in almost 10 years. Depending on how well your imagination works, you may not get into it at all. I would say it's worth a look regardless.

Diablo 2 I'm not as sure about. There were a lot of improvements to gameplay and style, but since they are all obsolete anyway, I don't know that it's something you will appreciate.

All in all, though... why not?

honestly looking over youtube it seems to me that diablo has better graphics than baldur's gate
    I only played diablo so don't know anything about bg
    but I'd say if you still play that to this day maybe you can enjoy diablo as well
    there are tweaks on widescreengaming to make it wide and for a higher res. and it looks good
    ps. I'm talking about d2, don't know if you really want to play that kind of a old game.

Deleted
    I've played both games.. and i still launch them both once or twice per year, Diablo 2 is a masterpiece, it will always be one of blizzards greatest games ever. I usually install it and play for a week or two with my friends.. if you have lots of friends and skype, Diablo 2 will be incredibly fun to play, it gets funnier the more you play it, can be a bit hard to actually stop playing it tbh..

I played it this januari, lvl 86.. had great gear and all!

it works on W7 as well, if you want a bit better graphics, put " -w " and it will be window mode with the best graphics...

Deleted
    The story for me wasn't that much of a reason why I played Diablo for ages... the Sequences in Diablo II where cool, but in the the end you just go ein Kill a bad guy over again. If you played baldurs gate before the story will sure disappoint you. Also a Problem is that most people grown up with diablo, i mean if you played by the beginning, than skills where changed, content was added, addons came, new classes. That was excisting to figure out good skill trees and hunting for unique weapons that support that, but if just start now you might find it boring because everything is laid out already. Even you would want to bring a friend with you because after your first char you would want to have someone you can pull you through the first areas to level faster. When you enjoy it and got used to the game I advise to make a hardcore character with a friend and try to pass the higher difficulties nightmare and hell, but problem is if you die , that char is dead forever ^^ can be thrilling to meet multishot lightning monster which can easy oneshot you :P.

Geeze I think i want to play again right now.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Run it as administrator + Compatibility Mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Had the same problem but the aforementioned fixed things up.

Deleted
    i got it for free when i bought cataclysm and it's coming up to a year and i've played maybe 20 minutes total. the idea and premise is great but it's so outdated that i have never got bored enough to even start it up. there was always something else i'd rather do. if i had it several years back it'd be a completely different story but with all the other games out there right now? no thanks. i'll prolly read up a little and drop right into D3.

Deleted
    Diablo 2 and its expansion are still realy fun games to play to this day i still play it.
    So yes its worth it.