Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigemund View Post
    I like how this guy is quoting someone complaining about clueless people.
    I like how everyone in here thinks they can do better than current politicians so they throw their opinions on a forum for a video game.

Putting it plain and simple: 16 dollar muffins, they didn't know (or care) the cost of muffin or swedish meatball or brownie or cookie.

Woogs finally got the point that the Beef Wellington that was 7.32 was a SERVING. THAT'S A SMALL PORTION.

Yes, Obama screwed up. Bush screwed up. You can't do better, the amount of money they're dealing with is something your brain won't know how to begin to imagine. That's why they have a whole group of businessmen working this out, sometimes things slip through the cracks.
    A bunch of high school educated kids that play video games all day will never be able to fix this countries economy. And even if you're college educated, so what? You still wouldn't be able to do it.

Be rational - complain, but don't say you can do better. Things slip through the cracks, I agree a million dollars to ship some washers is quite extravagant, and those are things that don't need to slip through the cracks. But when you're dealing in trillions of dollars rather than hundreds of dollars, mistakes happen a lot more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...hiK_story.html

$16 Muffins
    $10 Cookies
    $5 per Swedish Meatball

For every one of these examples, how many are unknown? When people talk about government inefficiency and waste, this is a good example of what they mean. It isn't government's own money, so they aren't compelled to spend wisely.
    The real question is this, did the muffins really cost 16 dollars or is it just some way for a corrupt official to hide other wrongful spending? I very much think it's the latter.

I read about this earlier. I can't believe how our tax dollars are spent this just infuriates me and can't wait for the 2012 elections.

Edit- @ CipherAgent, I didn't even think about that possibility..thanks now im even angrier! lol
    Last edited by Arog; 2011-09-22 at 03:48 AM.

The government is like a bunch of children and we are funding their little childish games. Those stupid kids prop up competition between a monopsony (i.e. the government) paying over-price vs. the people.

Now how did they get this money? By printing it of course. But do we get any of that money? No! We have to work for it! And we won't even get any new freshly printed money until a lot of the slowly "unnoticeable" inflation kicks in.

And by that time we are already paying more taxes for their wasteful spending! Well I say we cut them off and handle the debt with a new tax code based off of Austrian Economics, the ones who've been right!

The caterer they used probably normally cost that much. The problem was they did not shop around for a discount. No different then a thousand other different areas where people dont shop around as much as they should because it is not there money.

On the otherhand, government has bigger issues with a lot of its regulations that cause inefficiency. Not uncommon for a high ranking government official with a Senior executive service title who makes 170k a year to have to spend 2 extra hours (at like $100 an hour) to go pick up and return a rental car from an inefficient carrier because the government wants to save $20 by using the location that you have to take a shuttle to from the airport. Or that same employee spending 5 hours of a 40 hour week doing travel reimbursements because the forms are so obtuse and bad.

There are thousands of contracts that are worse deals then $16 muffins, just too few have the knowledge or intelligence to spot them. An example is how the navy paid double what it should of for some laptops, then 6 months after the laptops arrived, the admiral who made the deal got a "executive level job" with that laptop company...

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    I agree with that 100%. They should find actual business minded people to do the government spending, not politicians.
    MBAs are incredibly common among politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    MBAs are incredibly common among politicians.
    I don't think the problem is business-minded people in government, though, as RAWRF suggests. I think the problem is intrinsic to government, that the money they collect is not earned the same way you or I earn money, or as a business does. Most of us are careful with our money because we had to work for it. We've seen time and time again the results of dumping millions of dollars into the hands of politicians. Bridge to Nowhere comes to mind. Less well-known examples are everywhere. Supervisors blowing hundreds of thousands on their Facebook pages (*cough* Zev Yaroslavsky *cough) may not seem like a lot, but when you add it all up, it makes a big difference. Like raid buffs.

I don't think the problem is business-minded people in government, though, as RAWRF suggests. I think the problem is intrinsic to government, that the money they collect is not earned the same way you or I earn money, or as a business does. Most of us are careful with our money because we had to work for it. We've seen time and time again the results of dumping millions of dollars into the hands of politicians. Bridge to Nowhere comes to mind. Less well-known examples are everywhere. Supervisors blowing hundreds of thousands on their Facebook pages (*cough* Zev Yaroslavsky *cough) may not seem like a lot, but when you add it all up, it makes a big difference. Like raid buffs.
    Yeah and private businesses never waste money.

That's why a starbucks opened across the street from another one in my town before closing a week later.

Can't believe people are defending this.. I'm speechless..

That's why a starbucks opened across the street from another one in my town before closing a week later.
    Well as I've said, that's their money to do with as they please. They're only accountable to themselves. Government is accountable to us. Well, they're supposed to be.

Well as I've said, that's their money to do with as they please. They're only accountable to themselves. Government is accountable to us. Well, they're supposed to be.
    Waste is the inevitable by-product of any human endeavor. That doesn't mean we can't try to cut back on it or take measures to counter it, we should, but we should stop getting our panties in a wad or acting like its some horror unique to government.

And then they go and do something like this.

I was friends with the supp-O on one of the ships I went out on when I was in the Navy. He used to let me giggle over their supply requests. $3,000 for a hinge for a toilet? Really? That thing better be made of solid freaking gold. $100 for a shower curtain? Fo' real yo?

When the equipment I worked with would break, instead of putting in a req form, we'd just go to radio shack, drop $3,000 or so, and save the Navy about 15-20 grand.

Waste is the inevitable by-product of any human endeavor. That doesn't mean we can't try to cut back on it or take measures to counter it, we should, but we should stop getting our panties in a wad or acting like its some horror unique to government.
    That it isn't is irrelevant to me. It's only my business when we're talking about government. I don't like looking at lost dollars in my paycheck, so they damn well better be doing something good with that money.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-09-22 at 09:58 PM.

That it isn't is irrelevant to me. It's only my business until we're talking about government. I don't like looking at lost dollars in my paycheck, so they damn well better be doing something good with that money.
    Well most of your paycheck reductions aren't for taxes that pay for this kind of thing anyway.

If a private business wastes money, it most likely means that some corporate fatcat is less a couple thousand dollars. When government does it, it's from the taxpayers.

If the private business is too wasteful, it'll go out of business. The government has no competition, except other governments.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    If a private business wastes money, it most likely means that some corporate fatcat is less a couple thousand dollars. When government does it, it's from the taxpayers.
    Waste is waste, if you think the workers don't suffer from corporate waste you've probably never held a job.

Hell those corporate fat cats are in all likelihood the least effected by waste, as they tend to enjoy rather cushy contracts.

Waste is waste, if you think the workers don't suffer from corporate waste you've probably never held a job.
    Hell those corporate fat cats are in all likelihood the least effected by waste, as they tend to enjoy rather cushy contracts.
    Yes, the employee may also suffer if the corporation wastes itself towards bankrupcy. He may get unemployed. So what? New corporation, that is more efficient comes along and hires him up.

The consumer/customer is the biggest winner.

In b4 Wells is against survival of the fittest amongst companies.

we should go back old school and do like we did to get out of the great depression

have the government higher the unemployed people to build massive projects so they have money to spend, and let it circulate the economy, but 14 trillion is a hell of alot of spending lol

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Yes, the employee may also suffer if the corporation wastes itself towards bankrupcy. He may get unemployed. So what? New corporation, that is more efficient comes along and hires him up.

The consumer/customer is the biggest winner.

In b4 Wells is against survival of the fittest amongst companies.
    Nice attempt at shifting the point. Every group of humans creates waste. Starbucks is no different from the federal government. When a developer in my home town decided he didn't want to finish work on a new mega store because the city wouldn't change a road at public expense for him he boarded it up and left a huge plywood box in the middle of a dirt field. In the dead center of town. Property values tanked to the point where the entire area was blighted.

His company is still going and the box is still there, mostly covered in spray paint now. Waste happens everywhere, but conservatives get this ridiculous double standard going on.

Nice attempt at shifting the point. Every group of humans creates waste. Starbucks is no different from the federal government. When a developer in my home town decided he didn't want to finish work on a new mega store because the city wouldn't change a road at public expense for him he boarded it up and left a huge plywood box in the middle of a dirt field. In the dead center of town. Property values tanked to the point where the entire area was blighted.

His company is still going and the box is still there, mostly covered in spray paint now. Waste happens everywhere, but conservatives get this ridiculous double standard going on.
    So this developer made an investment mistake. He poured alot of resources in vain. Shit happens, he's the one who took the hit. I have a hard time believing that made property values tank rofl. The funny thing is that the low FED interest rates probably made him start the project.

Also, Starbucks is way different from the Federal Government. If Starbucks wastes money, starbucks suffers. Competitors eat up starbucks and the consumer wins. If Govt. wastes money, the Taxpayer suffers. No one can really do anything about it and the people lose.