Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Youtube video quality sucks...better alternative?

I uploaded a 3gb video to youtube, hoping the quality would rock...it looks like shit though.

Are there other sites that don't degrade the quality as much. I know a subscription to Vimeo might do the trick, but I actually think the quality on youtube is Better than Vimeo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Go to youtube and watch it at 1080p, cant complain about quality there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vimeo also deletes video game videos when they find them so I wouldn't use that : /

____________________R.I.P Excessive Gaming____________________

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks fine on 1080p.

Deleted
    i was just going to say. i went to the video on youtube, selected "1080" and "Original" and the video looks good to me. or when you say that the quality sucks - are you talking about when you link the video in a forum post and it defaults to 380p or whatever? you'll need to change your <embed> tag if thats the case

Btw I noticed also your video's aspect ratio isn't ideal for displaying a video on youtube - you have two black bars on the side of your video so it looks 'squished'
    Last edited by mmoc27fcbb3f1e; 2011-09-22 at 03:51 AM.

Looks decent on 1080p buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, it seems like the problem might be on your end rather than youtube. Maybe your specs, your settings, your computer? I saw some frame skipping and such. Also, like the above poster said, you're not doing it right if there's black bars in your video. Youtube is pretty good at things like this and it doesn't usually degrade quality enough for it to be considered shitty.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not getting the 1080p setting to even play for me, but the fact you have it listed and others responses leads me to believe you're not watching the vid at that resolution.

edit: Finally got it working, yeah, i see what you're saying about the skipping frames. What's your specs, and does it skip frames when just watching the original, or just youtube?
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-09-22 at 04:04 AM.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    As others have mentioned I don't believe Youtube is the issue here. I would suggest you read the Ciderhelm Guide to FRAPS. It should help clear up some questions you may have in regards to recording.

It would also benefit you to at least do some editing and rendering to decrease the size of the overall video. Like most videos there is a lot of fluff that can be dropped to save room for the nitty gritty. For a decent free editor you can use Windows Live Movie Maker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not youtubes fault, its yours. Learn how to render and makes videos before you go bashing the video hosting site.

Learn to fraps
    Learn to use sony vegas or whatever you use.
    Learn to render************

You have to render it a certain way, in the quality you want. Its not that simple as, take video then upload. Also, it shouldn't be 3gb file. You obviously didn't compress the video file or do anything to it.

Mod Warning: Watch the language. Giving advice is good, but no need to be so hostile.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-22 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post
    Its not youtubes fault, its yours. Learn how to render and makes videos before you go bashing the video hosting site.

Learn to fraps
    Learn to use sony vegas or whatever you use.
    Learn to render************

You have to render it a certain way, in the quality you want. Its not that simple as, take video then upload. Also, it shouldn't be 3gb file. You obviously didn't compress the video file or do anything to it.
    Also helps if you give the new film maker some tips from atop the soap box rather than strictly pointing out what they did wrong. You can always point a person in the direction of a guide or offer helpful advice such as settings they might look to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceversa View Post
    ot: crusader aura
    Man, there was a thread on the official Pally forums where everyone was hating on all the auras, and decided Crusader was the way to go LOL

Of course, can't find the damn thing now. Hmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Also helps if you give the new film maker some tips from atop the soap box rather than strictly pointing out what they did wrong. You can always point a person in the direction of a guide or offer helpful advice such as settings they might look to change.
    I feel like the op came on with an attitude toward youtube when the problem is on his end so he deserves what he gets. Just my opinion.

Firstly, I am brand spanking new at making videos. So yeah, I do not know yet how to compress it beyond 3gb. It started as a 45gb raw file and I used a H.264 codec to compress it. Can the choppiness be smoothed out during the editing process?

Windows 7 64bit
    4gb 1600 Ram
    Core2Duo E8500 3.16GHz
    ATI HD 6850 OC
    Samsung f3 spinpoint 1tb

What I mean by the degradation in the Youtube video is this: The original file on my computer looks gorgeous, but the Youtube video at the original resolution of 1920x1200 looks grainy and the color of my UI is lost in a lot of areas. For example, look at the background I use for Recount...it looks super fuzzy.

Do you think the 3gb format itself is a high-quality one?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvorjak View Post
    I uploaded a 3gb video to youtube, hoping the quality would rock...it looks like shit though.

Are there other sites that don't degrade the quality as much. I know a subscription to Vimeo might do the trick, but I actually think the quality on youtube is Better than Vimeo.
    From when you have uploaded your film at youtube, while it is playable, the quality gets better within a little time, due to the time it takes to get a film running in full HD, compered to 240p.

Patience you must have, for the force to wield

Deleted
    What I mean by the degradation in the Youtube video is this: The original file on my computer looks gorgeous, but the Youtube video at the original resolution of 1920x1200 looks grainy and the color of my UI is lost in a lot of areas. For example, look at the background I use for Recount...it looks super fuzzy.
    Bear in mind that this is a (free) online video streaming service. They compress 1080p video down to around a 200mb file for 5 minute footage. As such, quality will suffer. If I'm not mistaken, Youtube encodes to H.264 video at a max bitrate of 6Mbps.

I believe your video looks mighty fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. If any, try to make that 3Gb file a 300Mb one to save upload time.

Next time try filming it at max 1080p or at least a 16:9 resolution.

Follow this and start setting your game resolution to 1920x1080 before recording for best 1080p results, or 1366x768 for 720p.

http://socialtimes.com/compress-video_b29333

EDIT: Why the hell aren't you stacking for scorpion phase? Don't be a bad and stress your healers more than they need to be.
    Last edited by glo; 2011-09-22 at 07:44 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Follow this and start setting your game resolution to 1920x1080 before recording for best 1080p results, or 1366x768 for 720p.

http://socialtimes.com/compress-video_b29333

EDIT: Why the hell aren't you stacking for scorpion phase? Don't be a bad and stress your healers more than they need to be.
    I did stack for every scorpion phase and then disengaged. It was part of our strategy to have the hunters disengage immediately after he transformed. That way, when we wanted to spread out to force a cat phase, it would happen asap.