Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Cool State of Holy VS. Disc.

Hello guys, i would like to hear what you think about the two different specs viablity.
    Currently im playing disc the most since i think its way easier to maintain mana and such. Though i hear alot talking about holy should be easier because of good mana regen, ive tried both specs, but for me it just seems easier to play disc. I would love to play more holy and to be good at each spec in order to respec depending on the encounter.

Whats your opinion of the state of each spec?

Cheers!

/Tosti

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti View Post
    Hello guys, i would like to hear what you think about the two different specs viablity.
    Currently im playing disc the most since i think its way easier to maintain mana and such. Though i hear alot talking about holy should be easier because of good mana regen, ive tried both specs, but for me it just seems easier to play disc. I would love to play more holy and to be good at each spec in order to respec depending on the encounter.

Whats your opinion of the state of each spec?

Cheers!

/Tosti
    If mana is an issue for you as disc, get a Rapture tracker if you don't have one. Everyone is gong to tell you both are viable. Just play whatever you enjoy more. I believe some fights in H FL have Holy edging out Disc on some fights. But from what I read, its not significant enough to warrant regemming/reforging. I play Disc with AA and I love it.

Deleted
    i havent really touched priest healing since pre-4.0 but from what i have seen disc seems better at the moment but cant say i know

For disc to beat holy it needs to have innervates on stand by. You may find disc to have more easily attainable mana but when played optimally disc has bigger mana problems than any other healer

I have fewer mana problems as disc than holy... maybe I'm doing it wrong...

I use AA/Atonement and when raiding use those to generate mana. People claim that it's not a mana gain, but I watch my mana bar go up as I smite... so maybe I have magical stores of spirit somewhere.

PERSONALLY, here's the difference for me: I love holy because you have some really nice burst capabilities and I feel like you have really good control over exactly how much & where healing is going. I love disc because even though there are some rng elements to it (DA & if Atonement decides your rogue needs your heal instead of the tank...), there's a higher degree of complexity to the playstyle TO ME than holy offers.

You really should try both specs out and figure out what fits your style better. Both are totally viable, but do different things and have different strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    For disc to beat holy it needs to have innervates on stand by. You may find disc to have more easily attainable mana but when played optimally disc has bigger mana problems than any other healer
    Then you're not playing it "optimally"... you are probably still shield spamming like back in wrath, and that is pretty far from an "optimal" game play.

As far as "how viable" they are. If you run 10 mans, then you will probably want to go disc just because of how insanely good that extra raid cooldown is in small groups. If you play with a druid you will also usually want to go disc imo. In 25 man if you have sufficient raid CDs and /or are the second priest, the other one being disc,then you can go either really.

If all you do is normal modes then you can go either, because in most cases (read Baelroc) it doesn't really matter. On Baelroc you should always be disc, mainly because some of the holy single target heals don't work properly here, because you miss out on power infusion which is great for stack building.

You did not mention what content you do, but generally anything besides the most difficult current content available is going to work just fine with either of the specs.

Deleted
    I used to play as holy in BC/Wotlk, but now I just love the disc playstyle with atonement! Its really fun IMO.
    I guess the main difference between the two specs is still the same: holy is better for raidheal and disc is more suitable for single target heal.

Deleted

Cool

Kinetiks, i do have a rapture tracker.

I really enjoy playing both specs, and i like that i can switch depending on the encounter.
    - About raiding im only gearing up now, but i will soon be progressing into firelands on her.

Even tho many guides etc. says it's easier to maintain mana as holy, for me it just seems way easier to more/same throughput as disc, without loosing as much mana as i do when im playing holy. But i guess thats a matter of gear level and playstyle.

- Currently i have 2.5k spirit and "jar of remedy" from maloriak, giving me around 3 k spirit when it is stacked up. My gear level is 359 so its nothing special since im still gearing.

i would be really glad if you could give me tips and advices to either spec, because im still new to priesthealing!

My char is called Tostii - and is on the server moonglade eu (can't link because im new here) - I know i need a few better enchants and glyphs, but im working on it since the server is lowpop and stuff is pretty f*** expensive!

Ty guys!

Cheers

/Tosti

tbh, you're hurting yourself when you're reforging so much haste into mastery. Imo you should try to balance out so you have a decent amount of haste, since it's not all about mastery. Remember, that you cant just spam PW:S anymore and you have to cast some spells who have a long cast time (GH, PoH).

Also, if you cant catch a 20 int socket bonus, might aswell gem 40 int in the socket. Gives you more mana through rapture and replesh.
    Go get those 353 shoulders!! otherwise, get 371 pvp shoulders. Those blue ones are you awful and remember to enchant your gloves with engi proc since you have engi anyway, it's a nice boost to coorporate with rapture.

Lastly, holy isn't better than disc and visa versa, it's about preferences. Remember that disc and holy are 2 different healing specs (what I mean is, there's 5 different healers in this game) so you should play what you want to. I personally find disc better suited to FL since PS and PW:B are very powerful cooldowns on alot of fights, and I like the play style alot better.
    Last edited by omniscience; 2011-09-22 at 12:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omniscience View Post
    tbh, you're hurting yourself when you're reforging so much haste into mastery. Imo you should try to balance out so you have a decent amount of haste, since it's not all about mastery. Remember, that you cant just spam PW:S anymore and you have to cast some spells who have a long cast time (GH, PoH).

Also, if you cant catch a 20 int socket bonus, might aswell gem 40 int in the socket. Gives you more mana through rapture and replesh.
    Go get those 353 shoulders!! otherwise, get 371 pvp shoulders. Those blue ones are you awful and remember to enchant your gloves with engi proc since you have engi anyway, it's a nice boost to coorporate with rapture.
    Thanks for the advice, ill go get more 40 int gems. - i know the shoulders... omg. .. :P

about reforging.

Does it seem right to reforge crit into mastery and items with haste, i wont reforge?

Ty!

10+ Year Old Account

lol.

LOL

LULZ innervate gives back less mana that a single rapture in good gear. And only noob disc priests shield spam anymore. PoH is the new king of AoE healing for disc and with proper rapture management and power torrent buffed SF/HoH casts mana is no issue. If you look at a few of the top disc priests around you are going to see quite a few who are reforging spirit into throughput stats because with such great intellect regen and the high int values on high end gear there just isn't much chance of running dry.
    Last edited by Koilie; 2011-09-22 at 12:50 PM.

Well, you can reforge crit if you want, but you should consider reforging out of spirit, since it's acutally our worst stat without going too low ofc! You get mana from 2t12 (get it now!!!), replesh, rapture and shadowfind which only are affected by your intelect, so reforge out of it what you can spare.

There's another topic going on about mastery/haste and playstyle of disc. I would recommend you read through that post

10+ Year Old Account
    that is completely false. if you are actually having mana problems as disc, you're probably sitting there power shielding the whole raid. And if for some reason you are having mana problems, get a Rapture timer. would help a bunch

Deleted
    State of holy vs disc is that holy sucks outside of 25m raids where you can spam poh/coh to the fullest. There is simply not enough poh/coh situations in 10m for holy to be viable. As gear gets better disc just shines more and more aswell, due to the 15% int increase and the fact that disc mana regen is based around int and holy is based around spirit which most high end FL gear simply doesn't have.

Holy is broken.
    Disc is fine.

I'll never stop Holying tho. Disc is so gay.
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

lolwut.jpg? At 380 ilvl and higher, Disc has like, infinite mana on every fight except Baelroc. The only way you can possibly go oom is shield spamming, and if you're doing that, then you're doing it horribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    State of holy vs disc is that holy sucks outside of 25m raids where you can spam poh/coh to the fullest. There is simply not enough poh/coh situations in 10m for holy to be viable. As gear gets better disc just shines more and more aswell, due to the 15% int increase and the fact that disc mana regen is based around int and holy is based around spirit which most high end FL gear simply doesn't have.
    Holy has +15% healing in place of Disc's +15% int...

Both specs are fine, Holy is great at raid healing, especially burst damage, and Disc is great at tank healing. Though, current encounter design heavily favors raid cooldowns, so Disc is usually preferred solely for barrier.

And what do you mean "PoH/CoH is only good in 25man" ? PoH is way better in 10man because you only have two groups to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by xsublymonalx View Post
    Holy is broken.
    Disc is fine.
    In what ways is holy "broken" ? It's not 'broken', it's just not preferred right now because of encounter design. Just like the first H Rag kill that had no shamans, shamans are not "broken", just not preferred for that fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

It's opposites day!

No, really, this is completely wrong.

Disc has more active mana return at the moment (esp AA spec) than any healer. Discs are running low spirit and carrying heals over druids. Disc has bigger heals/more heal efficiency than holy, but the skill cap is higher. Right now the only healer that beats disc for sustained hps is another disc.

Holy plays pretty smooth. Disc is confusing, all jagged edged, and plays like wrestling a wild crocodile.

Take your pick! There are certainly fights that favor holy. I would say at a minimum, alys and parts of rag. Being able to spike to 60k raw without use of a cd is pretty nifty for ignition/seeds. Pretty sure no other healer can do that.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-09-22 at 09:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xsublymonalx View Post
    Holy is broken.
    Disc is fine.

I'll never stop Holying tho. Disc is so gay.
    I do believe someone on this forum has a sig saying;

Holy Priests are perfect, too bad the raid design isn't.
    or similar.
    Believe it.

Holy is as good as Disc, it's depending on how you play. If you play optimally then you should do good in both specs, I usually go Holy on Rag and HRhyolith and HBeth.

I love disc (my disc spec is w/out atonement), I don't really have mana issues and I just love the feel of it more than holy. I can play holy fine and mana seems to be okay there as well, I just like the feel of disc better. It's all personal opinion/choice. As far as the person stating that disc requires being fed innervates, innervate sucks when cast on someone other than the casting druid and it's just not necessary to have as a priest (or really any healer), every druid I know including when I play on my druid uses them on themselves.