Thread: Five-a-day

Deleted

Five-a-day

I was amazed and lol'd when to read in the news that "A new study has found that thousands of Scots believe chips and even carrot cake are counted among the components of a healthy diet, while one in three did not know that they can get the proper amount of nutrition from both frozen and tinned foods."

Deleted
    What's the state of education on good nutrition / healthy eating habits in Scotland and the UK?
    Do they teach you some stuff, lots of stuff or none at all?

Personally, coming from a medium sized American school, we didn't learn anything past "Eat your fruit and vegetables" and a picture of the food pyramid.
    Didn't tell us what Carbs, Fats and Proteins were. Didn't even tell us what a calorie was.

Deleted
    just get a box of these, nicest things ever, u will never want to eat anything else :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by samhazza View Post
    just get a box of these, nicest things ever, u will never want to eat anything else :P

krispy kreme- yumyumyum, I could happily eat a whole box of 12 with nice cuppa tea,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    What's the state of education on good nutrition / healthy eating habits in Scotland and the UK?

Personally, coming from a medium sized American school, we didn't learn anything past "Eat your fruit and vegetables" and a picture of the food pyramid.
    Didn't tell us what Carbs, Fats and Proteins were. Didn't even tell us what a calorie was.
    my school was pretty much same in UK, htey told us its good to eat veg and stuff, not much more than that. although in GCSE cooking we learned potato does not count as one of your 5 a day :P but not everyone takes that class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenkesh View Post
    I was amazed and lol'd when to read in the news that "A new study has found that thousands of Scots believe chips and even carrot cake are counted among the components of a healthy diet, while one in three did not know that they can get the proper amount of nutrition from both frozen and tinned foods."
    Scotland the home of the Deep Fried Mars Bar and where the majority of the population is overweight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/St...h/TrendObesity

My heart feels ill when I see a picture of a Deep fried Mars bar.

In Norway we learn all about that stuff in high school

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arzhani View Post
    But Norway is liberal paradise. I would move there if I had money to facilitate the move and I knew Norwegian and I had better job prospects than my current employer.

oh come on!! now im craving krispy kremes, theres a shop near me but i doubt they would be open atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arzhani View Post
    From an American school in Florida: we also learned this in high school. It's somewhat unfortunate that kids should learn it in their last years of their first education. By then eating habits are already formed and could already be potentially destructive based on how they were raised.

In Amrica fast food is cheaper then making yur own healthy meal. That is what fucking you guys up. This "disease" is taking ground here in europe too. Where i have gone to school we learned all about food and what is 'good' and 'wrong' but most imortant my parents where awere of it and made a great example. I never eated fastfood more then once a month and still dont.

Deleted
    We learned about fat, protein and carbs in 8th or 9th grade in biology class. We also had "Healthy eating"-projects where we in groups should come up with a week long food plan that was healthy with regards to how much carbs, fat and protein you should have in each meal.

We also got taught that it was 6 a day, not 5.

There was a debate brought up recently over a book about "dieting" aimed towards 5-10 year olds here in the states recently. The problem is, children do not make the choices which actually effect their eating habits; that is left up to their parents. So, we can try and educate children all we want, but if the parents want to constantly swing by the drive-thru to pick something up because they are too f'ing lazy to cook something, all that education is for nothing.

There was a statistic I heard a few years ago on a show which said that in the 1950's the % of income spent on food was something like 70% (I believe after the bills) while healthcare was below 30%, and current statistics have those numbers reversed. It was directed towards our food industry where we have chemically and biologically pushed for the creation of "cheaper" food by almost robbing all natural nutrients out of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenFrodo View Post
    We learned about fat, protein and carbs in 8th or 9th grade in biology class. We also had "Healthy eating"-projects where we in groups should come up with a week long food plan that was healthy with regards to how much carbs, fat and protein you should have in each meal.
    Same here.
    Furthermore everyone had to take cooking classes in 6th grade, where we only prepared healthy food.
    And this one time in gym class, the teachers hold track of how far we ran. In the end we would be rewarded with chocolate. After a lot of running, each of us got the amount of chocolate that contained the same amount of calories that we had just burned. And everybody got stupid little pieces Just to illustrate how much exercise we had to do to burn that little piece.

Deleted

Because you get so sick from it ?

Thought I would be in donut heaven in the US but oh boy your donuts are really nasty with all that glaze.

dont make me puke lol, nonfood like that is incredibly disgusting

There was a Krispy Kreme in the next town over from where I lived. It was one of the ones where you could watch them make the donuts. I actually just found out looking at Wikipedia right now (for some reason I thought it was the very first Krispy Kreme, it wasn't), that the particular location I was thinking of is closed
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

15+ Year Old Account
    Stick to the topic please. No more doughnut derailments.