Deleted

BoD 45 Seconds :S

Hey i hear now and again about Bane of doom re applying it when theres 15seconds left on BoD

Could someone please explain how much DPS Increase this is and how it works

Thanks.

BoD duration is 60 sek with 4 ticks. So every 15 sek there is one tick, and as it is now, you can refresh a DoT even with one tick left on the old one. So refresh it in the last 14.99 sek. it doesn't matter if you refresh it with 1.4sek left or 13.5 sek left, doesn't change your dps at all. and even if you are 3-4 sek to late to refresh it...BoD is not a huge part of your dmg.

It isn't actually that much of a dps increase. Provided you were reapplying BoD at the earlier possible moment, it's basically the difference between 95% uptime and 100% uptime.

Essentially in Cataclysm dots were given a functionality that allowed them to be refreshed before they expired with no dps loss. When you reapply a dot it's duration is basically; (time to next tick on old dot + full duration of fresh dot)

The example of BoD works well because the durations don't change with haste.
    BoD has a 60second duration, however if you refresh BoD just after the third tick at 45seconds, the new BoD on the target will have around 1minute and 15seconds duration, instead of the 60seconds.

However when BoD is refreshed it recalculates it's damage. So if you apply BoD while trinkets are running or while meta / demon soul is running you will want to let the 60second tick(last tick) go through and just reapply as soon as you can.

Hope I helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqeez View Post
    BoD has a 60second duration, however if you refresh BoD just after the third tick at 45seconds, the new BoD on the target will have around 1minute and 15seconds duration, instead of the 60seconds.
    This is not entirely accurate, unless I am just misunderstanding you. If you put up BoD on a target, then at say 10 sec left, refresh it, it will have ticked 3 times and be on the target for a new 60 sec duration. If you let that tick through and fall off, it will have ticked 5 times for a total of 8, just as if you had cast it twice and let it tick through completely before refreshing. The difference here is that you can have 100% uptime of the dot and not lose any ticks.

Do not refresh one that was applied with demon soul + Rune of zeth. Let it tick for full duration.
    Member of the 4.3 Firelord club.
    The very mention of demon warlock as a tanking spec makes me vomit profusely, so please abstain from it.

WBC needs damagers, ELE/ARMS/FIRE needed most. Wendigobrewing.com to apply! 2/8 heroic 25m. 3 days, 4 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by kakkon View Post
    This is not entirely accurate, unless I am just misunderstanding you. If you put up BoD on a target, then at say 10 sec left, refresh it, it will have ticked 3 times and be on the target for a new 60 sec duration. If you let that tick through and fall off, it will have ticked 5 times for a total of 8, just as if you had cast it twice and let it tick through completely before refreshing. The difference here is that you can have 100% uptime of the dot and not lose any ticks.

How is that different to what I said.
    Take a 2minute scenario;
    0:00 BoD Applied (60seconds left)
    0:15 BoD ticks (45seconds left)
    0:30 BoD ticks (30seconds left)
    0:45 BoD ticks (15seconds left)
    0:50 BoD reapplied (1:10 left)
    1:00 BoD ticks (1minute left)
    1:15 BoD ticks (45seconds left)
    1:30 BoD ticks (30seconds left)
    1:45 BoD ticks (15seconds left)
    2:00 BoD ticks (0seconds left)
    2:00 BoD falls off.

If you reapply BoD while BoD is still on the target it will _never_ have a "new 60 sec duration." Easily testable by going to a dummy and applying BoD twice, you'll get one around 1:14second duration depending on how fast your gcd is.

Basically you want to maximise the number of ticks you have that benefit from your buffs/procs. I dunno what spec you are, and it does matter, but for the sake of simplicity lets imagine you're affliction.

So lets say you cast BoD with Demon Soul and Rune of Zeth. You do not want to refresh BoD until it has completely finished because the current BoD is benefitting from your demon soul and trinket.

If you had casted your original BoD with just Rune of Zeth, and your next one will have Demon Soul, then you DO want to refresh it before it runs out because the new one will be more powerful.

Basically want you should ask yourself is:

Is this BoD going to be more powerful than the current one?

If no - Do not cast BoD yet.

If yes -

Can you wait in order to gain even more procs/cds without BoD running out and ruining your uptime?

If no - Cast BoD

If yes - Wait for procs/cds

This should be fairly accurate as far as Affliction/Destro go, but because of Demos cooldowns being significantly stronger there are some other rules you can apply such as clipping BoD earlier (as early as 45 seconds remaining sometimes) in order to gain a higher number of buffed ticks.
    Last edited by avengingbt; 2011-09-22 at 10:27 PM.