resting heart rate?

so its better to have a lower resting heart rate right? then why the eff does it sound so wrong?!

after having a panic attack from hearing my heart beat as i was getting ready to sleep, i pull myself together and test my resting heart rate to find out that it was working at 52-54 BPM... i mean one beat per second (or a little less) would be tolerable, but this... this is just scary.
    *note* this is not a troll, i tend to take after my uncle when it comes to paranoia
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

Sounds quite normal to be honest, i think the avarage person is between 50 - 70 bpm (don't quote me, this is off the top of my head)

15+ Year Old Account
    52 is a little low for average. I wouldn't worry though if you were laying down for bed.

According to Wikipedia (duh) your BPM should be anywhere from 40 to 60 :P

Deleted
    Here are some ideas of what your resting heart rate should be - can't post links but a google search for 'resting heart rate calculator' gives good links.

Deleted
    < Nurse.

Anywhere between 40-120 is absolutely fine,(anything below: bradycardia, anything above: tachycardia).
    I wouldn't expect an average joe to have a resting heart-rate from 40-60, it's usually professional athlete's that are in that range or or 100-120, people who are usually ridiculously unhealthy or on the edge of heart failure

It's nothing to worry about however. As others have said, it's perfectly normal.
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2011-09-25 at 02:30 AM.

A low resting heart rate when fit means that your heart is strong enough that it can pump blood throughout your entire body with less effort. When it is super low and your skin is pale, cool and diaphoretic (sweaty), just an example, that is when something is wrong because in this case it would mean that your body is experiencing mild hypoxia (meaning cells aren't getting oxygen to them from the hemoglobin in your blood) and this is when you should be worried. So In short, if you are feeling healthy, and are healthy, then a low resting heart rate just means that your heart is strong and efficient.

Deleted
    Athletes can have resting rates around 40.

You're fine. I just measured mine for lols and it was 51. You're not dying

As you're settling down to sleep, just before you think you're about to drift off, try and record your BPM. It can become staggeringly low when you're completely resting. The lower your resting BPM, the healthier you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerikaya View Post
    There's more bosses after Saurfang?

Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    I got 99 problems, but a totem ain't one.
    Word.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    52 is quite normal, especially if you're young and in decent shape.