Streaming monitor to its duplicate

Sorry for confusing title, but i dunno how better to put it.

Basically, here is what i have now

1st floor - my room, bed, tv
    2nd floor - living room, desktop pc (with monitor, keyboard, etc), its wire-connected to wireless router that provides WIFI net + internet for my whole house (for stuff like Ipad and wireless printer etc), and the router is wire-connected to the broadband modem.

What i WANT:
    Its late at evening, im tired. I go to a livestream page of my friend, turn off the monitor (not the computer), go downstairs, turn on TV, do some button pressing (on tv / on remote / on some box with wires that i need to buy / etc), and now my TV is basically my PC's monitor and it shows what PC would show (in this case, my friend's livestream page).
    If someone was to move a mouse upstairs, or type something on keyboard, i would see it on my TV because my TV is now my monitor.

So my question is - is this possible to accomplish?
    A few notes:
    1) i do NOT plan to disconnect and reconnect my main monitor every time i do this
    2) i also do not plan to put a long cable from my PC to my room downstairs
    3) I am not interested in streaming media (i.e. movies ) from my PC to my TV. I know how to do that. I already do that. What i want is for my TV to show exactly what my monitor would show.

I hope some people here are knowledgeable enough about this kind of stuff to tell me if this is a daydream, or if this is actually possible to accomplish.
    Cheers!
    We dream, we dream.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    So my question is - is this possible to accomplish?
    A few notes:
    1) i do NOT plan to disconnect and reconnect my main monitor every time i do this
    2) i also do not plan to put a long cable from my PC to my room downstairs
    3) I am not interested in streaming media (i.e. movies ) from my PC to my TV. I know how to do that. I already do that. What i want is for my TV to show exactly what my monitor would show.
    Ok, so you want your TV to act as a second(duplicate) monitor for your computer monitor, don't want to connect it with any cable, and no interest in streaming.

I believe you'll need to look into a wireless media player, which is pretty pricey but should do what you are wanting to accomplish.

And although you say you don't want to stream, that's exactly what you are doing essentially.
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-09-23 at 02:21 PM.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Ok, so you want your TV to act as a second(duplicate) monitor for your computer monitor, don't want to connect it with any cable, and no interest in streaming.

I believe you'll need to look into a wireless media player, which is pretty pricey but should do what you are wanting to accomplish.

And although you say you don't want to stream, that's exactly what you are doing essentially.
    Thing is, for a lot of people "streaming" means "i have movie.avi on my hard drive but i want to watch it on my TV downstairs". For me, i want my TV to be my actual monitor for all intents and purposes.
    Do you think a media player is something that will accomplish that?
    We dream, we dream.

Deleted
    what kind of TV are we talking about here?

Depending on how loaded you are, stuff like this exists.
    amazon co uk /Cables-Go-Wireless-VGA-Adapter/dp/B002LZUMGE

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    Thing is, for a lot of people "streaming" means "i have movie.avi on my hard drive but i want to watch it on my TV downstairs". For me, i want my TV to be my actual monitor for all intents and purposes.
    Do you think a media player is something that will accomplish that?
    I believe it should. You could also look into a wireless vga adapter to accomplish the same. The only problem there lies in that you won't really have any control over what you see on the screen from where you're at, you'll have to go back to the computer to change what you're watching.

Also, Media Center extender would work, just kind of have to see what they have to offer and accomplish what you want how you want.
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-09-23 at 02:35 PM.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

You don't really have much choice for that....

- Either use a KVM (a piece of hardware allowing to have multiple sets of Keyboards/Mouses/Screens set on one/multiple comps) that somehow supports wifi
    - Put some sort of computer at the back of your TV and use it to get the screen of your main comp (Remote Desktop, VNC, etc)
    - Find if they finally managed to make the "wifi video connexion ports" work (don't think so) and plug one into one output of your comp, the other in one entry of your tv...

But honestly, you will have a hard time doing that without sharding some major bucks due to the fact they are far appart. Your best bet is really using a nettop/old comp to do the job (and in that case honestly, you'll have more than the screen from your comp upstairs on which you can't do anything).

Btw, i fail to see how you manage to "stream files from your comp to your tv" with that setup unless you left something (big) out of your post.

That will run you ~$150-$200 for a wireless HDMI connection, though I have NO experience with wireless connections like that (quick search brought up something like this)... It'd be easier to just run a long cable through a wall, IMO, even if you don't want to. You basically just have to find a way to connect your PC to your TV, and depending on your graphics card software, you'll have the options to Clone you first monitor to your TV, use it as a second monitor, etc.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    EZAir Wireless EZVIEW HD Ready Wireless PC to TV Transmitter is what you are looking for or something like it. If you search Amazon look for wireless video sender. Different models will have different ranges etc.