Deleted

When Bulldozer hits the market

When Bulldozer hits the market, do you think prices on the SB CPU's will drop by a significant amount? Or will it just drop slightly? Bulldozer may have 8 cores but more isn't always better. Also I expect the Phenom cpu's to become cheaper then they already are.

Deleted
    I hope not. Just bought my i5!

15+ Year Old Account
    Well it mostly comes down to the sweet spot 4 core CPUs. No games properly use more than 4 cores atm, so the most interesting benchmarks will be the i5-2500k and the i7-2600k vs whatever 4 core AMD brings.

6/8 core benchmarks is more relevant when talking about the LGA 1366 and the LGA 2011 platform.

Intel may drop their prices if it turns out the AMD CPUs can compete with intels. But i dont expect crazy drops like 15-25%.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

The best performance estimations for the 8 core model are something between i5-2500k and i7-2600k. You might expect the price of i5-2500k to drop a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Well it mostly comes down to the sweet spot 4 core CPUs. No games properly use more than 4 cores atm, so the most interesting benchmarks will be the i5-2500k and the i7-2600k vs whatever 4 core AMD brings.

6/8 core benchmarks is more relevant when talking about the LGA 1366 and the LGA 2011 platform.

Intel may drop their prices if it turns out the AMD CPUs can compete with intels. But i dont expect crazy drops like 15-25%.
    Eh BF3 uses 4 cores when available and I've heard it even will use HTs on the i7. That's a rare example but it's still there. Many "huge" titles can use more than 2/3 threads.

Bulldozer will be comparable to the i5 2500k with about a 50-70$ price difference. I don't expect AMD to do better than Intel, I merely expect them to offer same performance for lower cost at a later time.

Deleted
    There is no "real" 8core cpu, AMD just market as if it is. - It can work as a 8core cpu, but really it's just a very smart 4core

Here is the cost of the 3 Bulldozers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD...ron,13407.html

Great deals imo.

And the fact that they're AM3 and going to be compatible with some mobo's is very appealing. I spent $300 on this mobo last year, I'd hate to have to get rid of it for a new CPU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1 View Post
    There is no "real" 8core cpu, AMD just market as if it is. - It can work as a 8core cpu, but really it's just a very smart 4core
    It's a 4 module, 8 core CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    There aren't 8 separetely functional cores in the "8 core" model.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    So the I7 2600k is a 8 core CPU then? It has 4 cores but 8 threads. and every thread could be considered a independent core. Since when I look at my resource manager it registers my 2600k as a 8 core cpu, also by the same convention the i7 3960X extreme will have 6(12) cores. Its just a marketing ploy.

10+ Year Old Account
    2600K: Four Integer units, four floating point units.
    Bulldozer: Eight Integer units, four floating point units.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    2600K: Four Integer units, four floating point units.
    Bulldozer: Eight Integer units, four floating point units.
    Both fall into the same category - SMT (Simultaneous multithreading).

15+ Year Old Account
    Bottom line:

What intel does will depend 100% on how BD benchmarks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Bottom line:

What intel does will depend 100% on how BD benchmarks.
    I rather doubt that, sandybridge technology already brought i7 prices down a huge chunk. And if it's even worse I doubt it'll bring down the price.

Any idea how much BDs will cost anyway?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Range is upper $100 range to $300 ish. Honestly though, with how many delays AMD put on the BD release, I hope it was because they wanted to make sure it was the best and most flawless (as possible at least, everything has a flaw) CPU on the market, and that it would just barely have the edge.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Range is upper $100 range to $300 ish. Honestly though, with how many delays AMD put on the BD release, I hope it was because they wanted to make sure it was the best and most flawless (as possible at least, everything has a flaw) CPU on the market, and that it would just barely have the edge.
    How's the built-in cooling on BDs? I heard you can overclock i7 2600k quite good even with the built-in cooling system.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    How's the built-in cooling on BDs? I heard you can overclock i7 2600k quite good even with the built-in cooling system.
    IDK what you mean by built-in cooling.... you have to attach a heatsink.... which route you go is your choice. But if you have no cooling on it, then it will skyrocket to its TDP max and auto-shut down, no questions asked.

In terms of temperatures compared to voltages/frequencies, CPUs have only gotten better over the years as I understand it. the fact I can run mine at 4.5GHz at 1.35v on air is something people would not have probably believed to (ever) be possible 5 or 10 years back.

So granted AMDs run a bit cooler than Intels, their thermal shutdown is somewhere in the mid to upper 60s where-as Intel's is around 90 something. So you also have more room with Intel to test out your stuff.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    If Bulldozer lives up to the hype, I think that SB will drop 10% price at most. Sandy Bridge has more than proven itself and Bulldozer has a lot of ground to cover (a lot from where AMD currently is, I haven't looked at any pre-release Bulldozer tests or anything like that yet)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    If Bulldozer lives up to the hype, I think that SB will drop 10% price at most. Sandy Bridge has more than proven itself and Bulldozer has a lot of ground to cover (a lot from where AMD currently is, I haven't looked at any pre-release Bulldozer tests or anything like that yet)
    Yea, this is kind of what I'm thinking.
    Intel has nothing to prove. People know precisely what they get with Sandy Bridge.

I'm very curious 'bout when they actually reach consumers though. The server-based hardware is pretty decent, but can they carry that over?