10+ Year Old Account

How to enable the use of alt codes on new laptop.

Hello,

I just recently bought an ASUS G74Sx that comes with a full-size keyboard (ie has numpad). Everything seems to be working properly except one aspect...I can't type alt codes. Most laptop keyboards you need to us fn + alt + inkeyboard numpad, but this one doesn't have that. I have tried everything I can think of including reinstalling the KB Filter, but I'm having no luck. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Edit: Quick note, as far as I know there isn't a numlock to enable, and I have no other problems using the numpad other than alt codes.

Edit#2: I should've stated that I am only using alt + numpad (alt + #)while using the numpad and it's not working. I also tried doing it the way you would when using an inboard numpad as well though (fn+ alt + #). Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Jaxxs; 2011-09-23 at 04:19 PM.

You don't need to hold function if it has a proper numpad.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    All you should have to do is hold down Alt while pressing the numbered keys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edited my post to show that I was trying it both ways.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried using the numbers not on the number pad?

There's always a numlock, so, find the function-key. I'll go look and see where it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I have tried using the normal numbers as well. I also just found a post saying that this keyboard doesn't have a num lock which is one of the only bad things about it. So I guess I'm f'd.

So, I've looked it up.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...available.html
    Describes it quite nicely. You can either update BIOS to permanently have the numlock 'on'. Attaching a mouse whom you remap numlock to might be an idea. I'm not sure if an external keyboard (just to use numlock) would work, but you could try.