Thread: DPS Help.

DPS Help.

--I posted this in the Fix my DPS thread but I don't think many people look there anymore--

Hi, I have been struggling to figure out why my DPS has been lacking.

When people ask, "Why is your DPS so low?" or "How can you improve your DPS?" my only response is "I don't know, I am doing everything I know."

That being said I will leave a WoL link and an Armory link.

Additional items that I have are: Heroic Necromantic Focus and Heroic Leggings of Billowing Fire. I also have MWC and Heroic Mantle of Closed Doors for Demonology.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out.

looks to me like you are doing pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you using SpellFlash: Warlock? http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...h_warlock.aspx

i don't have much experience with heroic fights but maybe you could change specs and be demo on baleroc (short fight) and affliction on ragnaros (2 x execution phase plus a lot of movement).

at that level, where your guild play, it is all about exploiting fight mechanics (and casting all the time) as people who excel at this usually win dps meters.

and if you guilds decides to use BL at start then choose demo as that tactic favors demo more (pre-pot is must with this tactic), and if they use BL in execution phase go affl.

one more thing, stay in melee and use shadowflame as you can do that on most fights (you have not used this spell on baleroc which is sole reason for gklick if your guild master knows anything about warlocks)
    Last edited by randa; 2011-09-23 at 04:40 PM.

i just had a boner with your gear
    wtf srsly if i had that gear D:

now ontopic
    as explained i see you are doing great
    probably theres something messed up in your rotations/cds

if this is serious you can just look at the logs of the other warlock and note the differences and figure out why. also stop dying to fiery tornadoes etc.

@Twest- I don't use those type of addons because I don't think they are accurate.

@randa- I don't Shadowflame Baleroc because of the way we position ourselves during the fight. Also currently we are still trying to decide what is the best time to use BL during Ragnaros and I have tried Affliction a few times but my DPS is lower because of the lack of burst in the start and we tend to need more AOE lately therefore I keep going Demo

@RorixRebel- I am thinking that might be it as well, thing is that I don't know what I could be doing differently, I time my DoTs and CDs with Int procs and such.

@Subetei- yeah that tornado death is awful, I didn't know they nerfed their speed and went in with 2 Wing buffs and ran into them -.-

Judging for Bale (since its the most standstill friendly firelands boss) your DoT/haunt uptime could be higher, 90-95% isn't bad, but 95-100% is better.

Looks like you got unlucky with procs too, only 3 shadow trances, only 2 Appocalypses, and only 20% uptime on Eradication...

My guild is only 10 man, so obviously there are differences, but I like you am not allowed to stand in melee except when picking up a crystal when someone else has torment, and pull generally 28-32k DPS (29.5 one the one I compared) vs the 27k you did on the parse I checked. We both have similar gear and our groups took roughly the same amount of time to kill Bale (4:30ish).

Primary differences I'm seeing is like I said, DoT/Haunt Uptime, I had 97-98% uptime on all DoTs, yours sit around 90-95%. Also as I said was much luckier with procs, 8 Trances, 6 Appocalypses and 28% Eradication vs your 3, 2 and 20%. I also cast 18 more shadowbolts than you throughout the encounter (likely due to eradication procs). You also didn't pre-pot during the parse I checked.

I'd say basically, it all boils down to DoT uptime, and good/poor luck with procs, your rotation seems fine.
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-09-23 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    I'd say basically, it all boils down to DoT uptime, and good/poor luck with procs, your rotation seems fine.
    Well that is good to know. Thanks for your input! I will work on my DoT uptime and not sure how I missed a pre-pot -.-

---------- Post added 2011-09-23 at 08:17 PM ----------

Also if anyone has some tips on fights like for example Beth'tilac, I seem to struggle with DPS there and I feel that it has some to do with my poor damage on spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Quela View Post
    Also if anyone has some tips on fights like for example Beth'tilac, I seem to struggle with DPS there and I feel that it has some to do with my poor damage on spinners.
    As affliction? Just cast UA, Corruption, and BoA on each spinner as soon as you see them (mouseover macros are great for this). You can cast haunt on 1 out of every group, and shadowbolt if they're still alive after casting DoTs... make sure something in the general vicinity has Curse of the Elements for Jinx (unless someone else is providing a similar debuff).
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-09-23 at 08:59 PM.

If the spinners are living long enough that casting BoA isn't a dps loss there is something seriously wrong going on in your raid. Tab UA usually does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    If the spinners are living long enough that casting BoA isn't a dps loss there is something seriously wrong going on in your raid. Tab UA usually does it for me
    10 man, spinners die a lot slower with just a warlock and spriest attacking them than with 10 people attacking them.... most attempts I have 50-60% of all damage done to spinners while never focusing them.
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-09-24 at 10:21 PM.

I've done it on 10 man as well, I'm pretty sure that nothing lived long enough to warrant a BoA

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    I've done it on 10 man as well, I'm pretty sure that nothing lived long enough to warrant a BoA
    Pretty much, I just throw UA around alot, soul swap....then afk in the corner until the drone comes out.
    Cyner#1996

You need BoA to tic about 6 times for it to be higher dps than a shadowbolt (with 30% haste). Base tick time on BoA is 2 seconds, with 30% haste, that's 1.54 seconds. So 6 x 1.54 = 9.24 seconds.

Shadowbolt also gives a stack of Shadow Embrace however, increasing UA, and Corruption damage by 5% that they normally wouldn't have. Making it so you'd need another tic of BoA to compensate (less than one tick in reality, but I'll round up). So 7 x 1.54 = 10.78.

Obviously you'd cast UA and Corruption before BoA, so add the cast time of those on: 10.78 + 1.15 + 1 = 12.93

If spinners are alive longer than 13 seconds, better to cast BoA, if not, better to cast a shadow bolt.

So, post nerf, you guys are 100% right, spinners arent going to live for 13 seconds most of the time. Pre-nerf, in a 10 man, I'd say it would depend on your group, but it wouldn't be a make or break either way.

I'll admit when I'm wrong, but its nice to actually try to figure it out, rather than just going "naw, DPS loss, I can feeeeel it"
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-09-25 at 06:55 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Raidbots.com

That website is the end all be all of figuring out how players top meters. If you cannot figure it out from here, you don't deserve to play a warlock.