Screen Resolution, issue?

I recently had a problem with logging in normally, and found that the problem was resolved upon disabling my anti-virus from safe mode.

When I was in safe mode i had to change the screen resolution, upon doing so i found that i could make the screen resolution in safe mode larger (1600x1200) But out of safe mode (Running normally) it will only allow me to go to 1280x1024.

I've even tried manually changing the resolution only for it to tell me it won't allow me to change it to that resolution.
    It ran fine in safe mode with the larger resolution, Anyone have an idea on how i can get my screen resolution higher without having to buy a new monitor?
    (19" Monitor)

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You could be experience a graphics driver issue. Try locating the make and model of your video card and install the updated driver for it.

For instance if you run dxdiag then view the display tab it should inform you of your video adapter.

I tried what you suggested and i'll post a screenshot of what I have, I had figured there wasn't any Driver issues as the graphics card was installed a few months ago and even checked for a driver update and found none.

I'm pretty decent with computers but this one has stumped me..

could be that your screen doesn't support 75hz refresh rate above 1280 x 1025 res. Set the refresh rate at 60 and try again

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would be very surprised that there isn't an updated video card driver off of the nVidia website for the GTS450. I know for a fact they recently updated within the last month.

As the above poster mentioned though dropping down to 60Hz may correct this issue for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    I would be very surprised that there isn't an updated video card driver off of the nVidia website for the GTS450. I know for a fact they recently updated within the last month.

As the above poster mentioned though dropping down to 60Hz may correct this issue for you.
    Assuming a 64-bit Vista/7, version 280.26, 64-bit. If it's 32-bit Vista/7, then version 280.26, 32-bit. Both updated August 9, 2011.

Though I think the resolution issue is based on the refresh rate being too high.

Quote Originally Posted by blupparen View Post
    could be that your screen doesn't support 75hz refresh rate above 1280 x 1025 res. Set the refresh rate at 60 and try again
    I just tried this with no luck, I even reduced the color depth to 16-bit, which I figured wouldn't make a difference, but just to try and that also didn't help.

I'm looking into seeing if there is an updated driver on the nVidia website

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, make sure your monitor is actually capable of higher than 1280x1024. My last 19" wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Also, make sure your monitor is actually capable of higher than 1280x1024. My last 19" wasn't.
    This is what i've been thinking and have thought since i've had it, which i have had it for a while.

When I saw that i could set it that high in safe mode i was kind of curious to why i couldn't when i run the OS normally

You mean safe mode as in starting windows in safe mode? If you start windows in safe mode it doesn't use the "best" driver, they use a driver that is supposed to work with all monitors. Then you can put the resolution on higher than the screen supports.

Quote Originally Posted by blupparen View Post
    You mean safe mode as in starting windows in safe mode? If you start windows in safe mode it doesn't use the "best" driver, they use a driver that is supposed to work with all monitors. Then you can put the resolution on higher than the screen supports.
    That makes sense.

Also as closure, I downloaded and updated my driver.
    I don't think the monitor can exceed 1280x1024.

Thank You to those who helped me though.