Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I want to learn programming.

I am a complete beginner. i would have no idea what i am doing. I come to ask if anyone knows a good site where i could learn how to program

15+ Year Old Account
    What do you want to program? Websites, actual functioning programs? (If so, what types of programs?)
    Also, any idea what language you want to learn?

ill answer for him im in the same boat, basics really programming some small games, learn how these hackers can get into websites like amazon and stuff like that, annoyomus stuff. i kknow about java for games and stuff and iv done some small tutorials on games but they were just copy the txt no why and how and real learning tips

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    What do you want to program? Websites, actual functioning programs? (If so, what types of programs?)
    Also, any idea what language you want to learn?
    I'd like to learn actual functioning programs and just all kinds of programs. as i said im a complete beginner so starting at the bottem of the totem pole would probably be the best idea

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleachroxs View Post
    I'd like to learn actual functioning programs and just all kinds of programs. as i said im a complete beginner so starting at the bottem of the totem pole would probably be the best idea
    C-sharp is a good language to learn then, as is HTML. Both have their uses.

http://cplus.about.com/od/learnc/Lea...ogram_in_C.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Cornstarched View Post
    ill answer for him im in the same boat, basics really programming some small games, learn how these hackers can get into websites like amazon and stuff like that, annoyomus stuff. i kknow about java for games and stuff and iv done some small tutorials on games but they were just copy the txt no why and how and real learning tips
    Hacking is a bit more than programming, also, you'd need a lot more than basics to "get into Amazon".

The first thing I would suggest is to pick a language. What do you want to do with programming? Personally I would suggest either:

HTML/JavaScript/CSS + PHP for web development
    Java for desktop applications
    Python for desktop applications

to start out with.

There are a lot of sites out there, different people learn differently. For me personally I started out with Java, then did Python then PHP. From there I started picking up several others. I personally learn best by finding basic sample code and then adding to it, a little at a time.

This site has some good links for Java: http://netbeans.org/kb/articles/learn-java.html

I am also a fan of Karel the Robot for Java. That was what I used to first learn Java. http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs106a...earns-java.pdf http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/KarelJa...vaEdition.html
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    If you take programming in college they start you off with Visual Basic these days and after that you learn Java.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    If you take programming in college they start you off with Visual Basic these days and after that you learn Java.
    Different schools are different. My University did Java and Python first two years, then choice between Fortran, VB.NET, PHP, C#, C++, C the last two years.

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Not necessarily, in my first 1 and a half years I learnt the basics of C, then Java and then C++.

I'd suggest starting with something like JavaScript, just to get over the very basic concepts of programming, as the language itself is very loose and quite forgiving, leaving you room to focus on the things you really need to know about programming logic.
    Then when you're comfortable with that, move onto something like Java, or maybe Visual Basic. They're stricter languages, but they aren't as low down and something like C/C++, so they should let you break into the more complicated stuff involving Objects without completely making your head implode worrying about very technical things.
    Then you can either just continue with them, or break into some C/C++/C# (they're all very common languages so it's not like you're learning something that has no real world use).
    Last edited by jonny888; 2011-09-24 at 03:43 AM.

Not an actual language, but pretty good for learning the basics of object oriented programming.

http://www.alice.org/

My university used Alice 2 for the intro to programming class that math majors and non-computer engineers had to take. Computer engineers and computer science majors took a more advanced programming class to start with, but Alice seemed to help a lot of people gain understanding of the logic that goes into OO programming. It may seem a bit childish, but is actually fun and quite useful, in my opinion.

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

okay thanks guys for the suggestions

I'd say C# would be your best bet to learn.

-It's one of the easier programming languages to learn.
    -It has multiple uses, can be used to create applications, and even used with certain game developement softwares (Unity3D as a prime example).
    -It is similar enough to C++ that it will be a ton easier to learn C++ after learning C#, than it will be to learn C++ after learning Java or Python or any other language. C++ is the most powerful scripting language I think (it's been awhile since I looked into it just been fine with C# lately) so learning a language that will help lead into it is always a good thing.

as for websites, it depends on your preference. do you like reading, or videos? maybe something similar to audiobooks? idk about the last one but for reading you can google it and get lots of results, I think one website is http://cprogramming.com

I prefer videos personally and I have learned a lot from YouTube videos. I learned it for Unity3D and learned what I know (I'm still a begginner but still) from youtube video tutorials. a personal favorite is BurgZergArcade, if you go the same route as me. The C# for Unity3D is the real deal, and uses the same syntax and everything that you'd use otherwise. Just different libraries (right term?).

15+ Year Old Account
    As a CS major going to a research university... stick with C languages. You can't go wrong learning C/C++ and getting really good with them. Those two alone will cover your ass for practically anything you plan to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuitous View Post
    As a CS major going to a research university... stick with C languages. You can't go wrong learning C/C++ and getting really good with them. Those two alone will cover your ass for practically anything you plan to do.
    I could see how learning these languages by yourself without guidance could be extremely frustrating though

If you want to learn teh programming languages you will need a lot of free time on your hands because its not something you can learn in one day or even in one week, it takes a lot of practice and a lot of trial and error.

Programming is easy, what's hard is knowing enough to get the desired result.

The first thing you need to ask if what kind of programming are you talking about.
    Web sites, games, apps, or the really hardware level stuff like Operating systems, Drivers, micro-controllers?
    Or are you looking to do some serious math intensive stuff like AI, Neural Networks, or signals processing?

Each language has it's intended application.

If you just want something to get four feet wet, and with plenty of resources to learn from, try something from the C family, like C++, or C#.

But don't get overwhelmed. This is definitely something that you can teach yourself and it's not something that you need to go to college for, if you have the focus to keep at it.
    Last edited by xenoz; 2011-09-24 at 05:21 AM.

I would say Java or C# are both good languages to start with.
    I can say that after having fiddled with C, C++and Java and then trying out C#, I'll always prefer working with C#. The development tools just make it so much easier to get things done, and many of the small time consuming tasks of searching in lists etc. are made so much easier (LINQ<3). If you pick up XAML together with C# you'll be able to build really nice looking and interactive applications very quickly with WPF or Silverlight. If you want to get into gaming, there's always XNA game studio.

Even though C# is Microsoft's own little pet, you can do a lot of things with it. Release stuff for Xbox, PC or Windows Phone, or web applications with Silverlight. Now that we know .NET will be properly supported in Windows 8, .NET languages overall should be safe to go for.