Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Rift, worth going back to?

I was a top raider (lol) in Rift back until SSN disbanded.

I haven't' looked too much at it but I was wondering if it is worth going back to?

WoW raiding has become boring, so I need something else to do.

Any thoughts?

I played the game for 3 months and I loved it. I stopped because there was a drop in players. But if you are bored of wow Rift is a good alternative.

I actually Re-subbed yesterday, for something different from WoW while i wait for new MMO's, and i must say, It is pretty fun.

I quit a couple months in, after getting a fair few shard firsts with my guild.

now ive come back and am getting pumped for 1.5 Character Advancement beyond the levels sounds awesome, kind of like how i was excited for Path of the titans, before blizzard got lazy and scrapped it.

IMO Rift is a bad game.

It is the exact same game as WoW except with worse graphics, a far less interesting story, and way less polish. Oh and rifts too...can't forget the rifts...god I wish I could forget the rifts.

I literally see zero reason to play that game. I have had two free trials so far, each lasting a week, and I didn't play more than 3 days for either one.

I just cancelled my sub yesterday. I'm pretty much done with games that follow the EQ/WoW/Rift game model. If you're bored with WoW raiding, I don't think Rift will be any different...

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    IMO Rift is a bad game.

It is the exact same game as WoW except with worse graphics, a far less interesting story, and way less polish. Oh and rifts too...can't forget the rifts...god I wish I could forget the rifts.

I literally see zero reason to play that game. I have had two free trials so far, each lasting a week, and I didn't play more than 3 days for either one.
    Actually the graphics are different so you can't really compare them. Wow is more cartoony and rift is more realistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wait for SWTOR.

yeah RIFT is pretty fun. I unsubbed a month ago because I can only pay for 1 game ($15 a month is enough) and my cousin joined wow so I came back to play with him. Now I'm playing wow and getting into different stuff (gold making as a prime example, because I never realllly got into it before like I want to now), and when 4.3 hits play that for a bit and then decide if I wanna go back to RIFT (which honeslty if I could I'd play both lol). Or I might try out SW:ToR, I definitely will if they give us a free trial period at some point. I always try free trials, I did for RIFT and that's why I joined it lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I just cancelled my sub yesterday. I'm pretty much done with games that follow the EQ/WoW/Rift game model. If you're bored with WoW raiding, I don't think Rift will be any different...
    Pretty much, just waiting on GW2. /sigh

i played during early beta, requested a refund during early launch. just tried the 7 day thing last week, and played it for maybe 30 minutes. i just cant get back into it, and redoing the 1-20 quests is horrible.

IMO Rift is a bad game.

"2 free trials, didn't play more than 3 days"

So you are bad-mouthing a game where you probably didn't even get past most of the Starting areas.

hohohoho...Disregarding that post.

IMO Rift is a bad game.

I tried Rift and only got to level 25 on it. But I can tell you're talking out your ass. Rift has a ton better graphics than WoW. More character customization, and a reason to go outside the major cities. Sorry, but on my DK from 55 to 85, never left Orgrimmar. Leveled as a blood tank WITH the starter gear up till level 80, then bought greens and dpsed to 85 in dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Just wait for SWTOR.
    ^this. I actually liked rift's graphics better than wow. if you had the power and could max/nearly max them out, they were pretty amazing....

Rift's entire invention was to take some heat/steam from World of Warcraft.

It's a blatant WoW clone and it's been talked about as a pure copy of World of Warcraft in everything except for the concept of rifts, which were just a quick fix to give the game some kind of difference from WoW.

My advice would be to stay away from any games that came out around WoW's peak, like Rift.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew
    Nevar 4get Exarch Cyn.
    The Horde and The Alliance haven't changed since Warcraft 2. Pandaren are the first true change to either faction for 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LordRayken View Post
    Rift's entire invention was to take some heat/steam from World of Warcraft.

It's a blatant WoW clone and it's been talked about as a pure copy of World of Warcraft in everything except for the concept of rifts, which were just a quick fix to give the game some kind of difference from WoW.

My advice would be to stay away from any games that came out around WoW's peak, like Rift.
    People that say it is an Exact clone, are the same people that have not played RIFT, or only ever got to level 8.

I tried Rift this week, and honestly, i liked. The whole soul system with flexibility in the callings is very appealing. The only downside is the extremely grim style.

Rift was actually pretty fun, and I probably would've played a lot longer if my friends didn't quit. :\

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    "2 free trials, didn't play more than 3 days"

So you are bad-mouthing a game where you probably didn't even get past most of the Starting areas.

hohohoho...Disregarding that post.
    Thats kinda the point isn't it? I had the opportunity to play more, and I just...couldn't. It was so boring and stupid that I didn't want to play it, even for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    I tried Rift and only got to level 25 on it. But I can tell you're talking out your ass. Rift has a ton better graphics than WoW. More character customization, and a reason to go outside the major cities. Sorry, but on my DK from 55 to 85, never left Orgrimmar. Leveled as a blood tank WITH the starter gear up till level 80, then bought greens and dpsed to 85 in dungeons.
    Sorry, no. Rift's graphics are terrible. I guess technically they are...sharper...or something...whatever you want to call it. But they are far, far less enjoyable.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-09-24 at 11:51 AM.

I think the main thing about RIFT is, and I'll be honest here, the questing is subpar compared to 1-60 and 80-85 in WoW. Actually maybe even a bit less polished up than Northrend (70-80) in WoW. However it does have a lot more character customization options (I got a guardian cleric to 18 and a defiant rogue to 16, healer and tank respectively, I LOVE how I can tank as a rogue character, something other than plate or a bear), better graphics (imo, while I do enjoy the cartoony graphics of wow, I can run higher graphics in RIFT than I can in WoW without lag), and plenty of things to do outside your cities at any lvl (seriously I had pvp dailies, at lvl 10, I don't even think we have pvp dailies other than stuff like TB and Sunwell in WoW, other than the daily rewards for queuing for random).

I also love the RIFT's, not only do they get me out of my city, I remmeber I logged into my defiant rogue at lvl 8-10 or so and my questing area was overrun and I was like "oh crap now I have to get a group to deal with this...nobody will want to help" I wound up getting like 5-8 ppl in 5 minutes time, without having to spam chat because I just clicked the "Join local group" button that appears.

Of course WoW has a much more active community I'll give it that, but if your server has a dead community you can always get a -free- character transfer to find a server with a population you like.