Thread: Virus question

Virus question

So recently I've on vaction to come back home to find my little brother had downloaded 3F2P games and a ton of other shit and in the process has "downloaded??" a rootkit or something. I'm wondering if I should just restore my laptop or just remove the virus manually

Ending it is all I fucking think about, that's the shit I think about
    All alone, bawling 'til my mothafuckin' eyes bleed

Can you do anything on your computer? If you can, download malwarebytes, update the database and do a full system scan. Also, download Hitman Pro, and scan with that.

Those will clean up most Infections.

Depends on what virus you have. Some rootkits are such a pain in the ass to remove that restoring the laptop is easier.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I just tried Malware and got "Windows cannot access the specified device,path,or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" I had it open started the scan and it crashed.

Ending it is all I fucking think about, that's the shit I think about
    All alone, bawling 'til my mothafuckin' eyes bleed

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryptFiend View Post
    I just tried Malware and got "Windows cannot access the specified device,path,or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" I had it open started the scan and it crashed.
    Try entering Windows through Safe Mode and running the scan then. Depending on the rootkit you might find Kaspersky's TDSS Killer handy. It searches for a specific type of rootkit but ya never know. Also I have found Avast Anti Viruses boot time scan to be very handy in dealing with root kits.

And since it hasn't been mentioned make sure you look at the sticky thread at the top of the computer forum which tells you how to do a virus / keylogger removal from your computer. Steps are the same for removing rootkits.

Should MalwareBytes' Anti Malware still not open rename the .exe file and try to install / run it again.