10+ Year Old Account

Network switch + wireless access point = ???

My current network situation is...ghetto as hell. The router is on the other side of the house from my "office". I had to run a 100ft length of ethernet cable from my router in the living room, down the hallway, to a network switch that connects two computers.

I now have a puppy that's beginning to take an interest in cables... If I hook a wireless access point to the network switch, will that enable me to get a wireless signal to my two computers?

Neither computer has the room (free slots) for a wireless card. If this won't work, can someone tell me what will? I'm trying to avoid USB wireless devices.

you want router->accesspoint --->air----->accesspoint->switch->computer ?
    Yes, i believe you can make that work, but probably just barely, as the signal will be rather weak moving throught the whole of your house.
    It's called wireless bridging, you basicly bridge together two wired networks wirelessly.

if you get a device similar to this one it should work out of the box

Else remember not all wireless access points support bridging, so if you want to use a regular AP make sure they support it.
    Last edited by Shamgar; 2011-09-24 at 06:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamgar View Post
    you want router->accesspoint --->air----->accesspoint->switch->computer ?
    Yes, i believe you can make that work, but probably just barely, as the signal will be rather weak moving throught the whole of your house.
    It's called wireless bridging, you basicly bridge together two wired networks wirelessly.

if you get a device similar to this one it should work out of the box

Else remember not all wireless access points support bridging, so if you want to use a regular AP make sure they support it.
    I think what I want is (sorry im really new at this kind of stuff) is Wireless Router ---> Air ---> Access point ---> Switch ---> Computer

I would try WDS mode

As you have already have a router, and providing it has WDS mode.
    You can use an access point that has WDS mode and then connect the 2 of them together in a point to point bridge setup.
    This will replace the 100ft cable you are using.
    With WDS mode, you just need to tell the router and the AP the MAC address of the other end.

As WDS mode is fairly new, you may need a new router, like the dlink dgl-4500.

You would also need a new AP which also supports WDS mode, like the new Amer 200N access point.

Deleted
    Putting the cable somewhere the dog can't reach is a much cheaper solution.. (such as nailing it to the roof with cable nails)