Help Me Setup Intel Smart Response Technology P8Z68-V Pro

Hey guys I use a 600 gb hdd and a 40 gb ssd. I upgraded to a new z68 board and I want to take advantage of my 40gb ssd using the Intel smart response technology.

The manual doesn't help with this and I am confused, I was told I have to create a raid with the 2 drives together, then install windows. I am at the raid setup window and I am assuming I am setting it up as raid 0.

It wants a capacity size of the raid? Uhhhh... I have no idea what size the raid should be, the screen shows my 2 drives and the manual says it can use up to 64gb of the ssd and its only a 40?

I am super extremely confused can I get some pros to help me out!

I'm only familiar with the Gigabyte way to do it, and it's supposedly different, but I would assume you'd still do it via Intel SRT and the UEFI.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U83ED4FOWiw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGD48ihLQCI

EDIT: I think you're just supposed to put it in raid-mode, not actually raid it. IE, not ACHI, but RAID in bios.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-09-24 at 05:41 PM.

I have setup raid mode in the eufi and now I am here in this window trying to create a raid with the 2 drives together. I don't know what size the raid should be... my best guess would be to make the raid the size of the normal hdd of 596.1... and I would assume the rest of the 37.2 would be cached?

Seriously why does this have to be difficult :c

No, you only need it to be in RAID-mode for the function to work.
    If you raid them together, it would only be a 37.2/37.2*2 GiB drive depending on which RAID.
    You use the software "Intel Rapid Storage Technology"

Here, have some guides! http://download.asrock.com/manual/raid/Z68M-ITXHT/IntelSmartResponse/English.pdf
    ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dz68db/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

So I can only get a 74gb raid?

Well i am going to go reformat my drives and set my sata mode to raid and install windows on the main hdd and see if the software will allow me to use the accelerate feature. If creating a raid makes it double the lowest size that is not accurate the way I seen it explained. I will be back in 35 with an update on installing the os in raid mode. Thanks for the help guys, sorry for bein a noob

Yea, do that.
    I see you've gotten the hang of it now. Tell us how it went.
    EDIT: I assume you are reinstalling it on account of the new motherboard anyway? Otherwise, I'm sure it's not needed. But I haven't actually tried doing this first-hand.

Brand new build.

---------- Post added 2011-09-24 at 12:06 PM ----------

I can confirm your advice worked and I am now benefiting from acceleration! I also assume that a reinstall in raid mode may have no effect, I beileve just changing the bios sata mode to raid would of opened the ability to benefit from this technology.

---------- Post added 2011-09-24 at 12:30 PM ----------

well I rebooted after installing some drivers from the cd and now I get a, "Please reboot and select a proper boot device or enter a media cd and press a button to continue." The only hdd listed in the bios now is the main 600 gb hdd that I just installed windows on, anddddd now it won't boot from it.. awesome. ><
    Last edited by Moddy; 2011-09-24 at 07:08 PM.